Lukares

What books awakened or enlightened you the most?

26 posts in this topic

So what books awakened or enlightened you the most?

Personally, I have been compiling the most powerful and useful book titles here in a single document. 

Which titles are you happy to see featured and what do you believe is missing?

P.S. the link is public and the pdf is downloadable.

Edited by Lukares

The book of not Knowing by Peter Ralston - I never read anything that comes even close to that one. Highly recommended. 

3 hours ago, Mihael Keehl said:

The book of not Knowing by Peter Ralston - I never read anything that comes even close to that one. Highly recommended. 

Second that. Helps with deconstruction. 

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

In my case, I can list some of the  books which deepened my understanding of epistomology, and thus helped me break away from the Materialist paradigm:

• The View From Nowhere - Thomas Nagel
  • The Structure of Scientific Revolutions - Thomas Kuhn
  • The Embodied Mind - Evan Thompson, Fransisco Varella, and Elenore Rosch
  • Sex, Ecology, Spirituality - Ken Wilber
  • Science Ideated - Bernardo Kastrup
  • Being and Time - Martin Heidegger 

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

A Course in Miracles

The Life Divine

The Religion of Tomorrow

Naša joga i prosvetljenje (Our yoga and enlightenment)

Edited by Bojan V

Evelyn Underhill's book on Christian mysticism.

Mysticism:  a Study in the Nature and Development of Spritual Consciousness

Jed McKenna

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I won't opine on the possibility/impossibility of becoming awakened by reading. But as to what I think helped me as a human self comprehend it that's in the domain of books. I'd definitely have to put Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self by Robert Wagoner at the top of the list. It contains some very radical things, that anyone with an open and intelligent mind reading becomes practically forced to do spiritual work seriously in some capacity.

For number two, I'd say You are the Placebo by Dr. Joe Dispenza would have to be it. Simply because early on in my pursuit of spirituality, this very book answered some hard pressing questions I had.

And as for number three, it's not really a book, but the trip reports on Erowid of various entheogenic substances. Yes, you have a great many instances of people misusing and abusing things, and having horrible things happen to them that are nearly always totally unproductive. At the same time, there are many instances of hard-hitting experiences that make certain facts like you being God, our "physical universe" being nothing more than a dream, sober people being affected by others tripping, etc all rather obvious.

Potestas Infinitas, Libertas Infinitas, Auctoritas Infinitas.

Eckhart Tolle - Power of Now
Jed McKenna - Dreamstate
Law of One: The Ra Material

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

Jed McKenna was more entertainment for me. He's a great writer, and I love his books, but I think he cares more about being entertaining than enlightening. His distinctions between Human Childhood, Human Adulthood, and Truth-Realization were useful, though. 

Castaneda was also more about entertainment. Discovering his books was one of the most magical times in my life. 

Dr Hawkins's writings were very powerful. Just reading his books put me into a higher state. His descriptions of the presence of God and what he called "The Final Doorway" silenced my mind. I read certain passages over and over again, because it was so stimulating. 

One of my favorite books is Story by Robert McKee. It's the best book on the craft of storytelling, and it's not just about the craft; it's also very philosophical, psychological, and beautifully written. 

“A fine work of art - music, dance, painting, story - has the power to silence the chatter in the mind and lift us to another place.” - Robert McKee

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

Zen-Yoga: A Creative Psychotherapy to Self-Integration

Book by P. J. Saher

Richard Dawkin's 'The Selfish Gene'

Particularly anything he's written on altruism or memetics from a moral philosophical stand point.  

Edited by Heart of Space

7 hours ago, Heart of Space said:

Richard Dawkin's 'The Selfish Gene'

Particularly anything he's written on altruism or memetics from a moral philosophical stand point.  

I believe by awakening they meant awakening, not moral philosophy. As for my own self, I tend to prefer Machiavelli or Henry Kissinger relative to this vertical.

6 hours ago, JoeVolcano said:

No he didn't, check his booklist. All of it is pretty much just survival. There is nothing on there even remotely related to "What books awakened or enlightened you the most". It's even posted in the society/politics subforum. Just the thread title is wrong.

Fair point, most of the people here assumed that a spade was a spade, myself included

James Carse's "Finite and Infinite Games" was quite eye-opening to me.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus