no_name

Why are cyclists allowed on the road

14 posts in this topic

If there is no bicycle lane on the road, why are cyclists still allowed to go on it?

If cars are driving at 50-60 km per hour and a cyclist is driving at 15-20 km per hour, is the traffic supposed to slow down all the way behind him?

If there is no bicycle lane, a car and a cyclist with his fat a*s can’t fit into one lane, so the only choice is to go around him and bypass him going to another lane which is very dangerous or drive slowly behind him. This is especially bad during busy hours. 

Also, car drivers need to pass driving exams and have a valid drivers licence to be on the road and can get tickets. Why aren’t cyclists on the road treated the same way? 

Edited by no_name

I guess because pedestrians on the sidewalk are the most vulnerable.  Better to endanger the cyclists than pedestrians.  It's one or the other as you can't fix the infrastructure problem easily.

Though imo cyclists on sidewalks is the better alternative overall.  Or at least scooters should be allowed on sidewalks if nothing else.

Edited by thisintegrated

Cuz ya don’t own the road. Ur in a car it takes not effort 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

22 minutes ago, no_name said:

If there is no bicycle lane on the road, why are cyclists still allowed to go on it?

If cars are driving at 50-60 km per hour and a cyclist is driving at 15-20 km per hour, is the traffic supposed to slow down all the way behind him?

If there is no bicycle lane, a car and a cyclist with his fat a*s can’t fit into one lane, so the only choice is to go around him and bypass him going to another lane which is very dangerous or drive slowly behind him. This is especially bad during busy hours. 

In Japan, cyclists usually use sidewalks. It's safer for cyclists to be on sidewalks than to be on roads. Japanese pedestrians have no problems sharing sidewalks with cyclists.

23 minutes ago, jimwell said:

It's safer for cyclists to be on sidewalks than to be on roads.

I think so too, plus the sidewalks are usually empty anyways, unless you’re in downtown 

I have been a cyclist for more than 20 years.

2 hours ago, no_name said:

why are cyclists still allowed to go on it?

Because there is no bicycle lane

Yes. We are sharing the road.

a car and a cyclist with his fat a*s can’t fit into one lane, so the only choice is to go around him and bypass him going to another lane which is very dangerous

Not that dangerous bro.

Why aren’t cyclists on the road treated the same way? 

In my country we get tickets for riding on the sidewalk, and highways.

2 hours ago, jimwell said:

In Japan, cyclists usually use sidewalks

Yeah, but I bet those are commuters on bicycles, not cyclists, we don't like dealing with getting on and off the sidewalks. We wanna go fast and fluid.

@no_name  Ask away. I have all the answers on this topic.

34 minutes ago, Arcangelo said:

A car driver would get a ticket if he was to drive 20 km/h on a 60 km/h road, due to blocking or impeding the normal flow of traffic. One of the most dangerous things on the road is differences in speed. Why are the rules different for cyclists?

Edited by no_name

26 minutes ago, no_name said:

A car driver would get a ticket if he was to drive 20 km/h on a 60 km/h road

Not if he's driving behind the cyclist.

When I am a car driver I don't like sharing the road with cyclists or motorcyclists.

When I am a cyclist I don't like sharing the road with car drivers or motorcyclists.

I totally get both perspectives.

33 minutes ago, no_name said:

One of the most dangerous things on the road is differences in speed. Why are the rules different for cyclists?

Because it's very difficult to kill someone with a bicycle, and very easy to kill someone with a car.

34 minutes ago, no_name said:

if he was to drive 20 km/h on a 60 km/h road,

When that time comes make sure to use the parking lights so you don't get rear ended.

1 hour ago, Arcangelo said:

Because it's very difficult to kill someone with a bicycle, and very easy to kill someone with a car.

The reason why this law is exists is not for the driver that is driving slow, if I drive at 20 km/h, I am not in danger, it’s the car that is driving at 60 km/h that needs to maneuver to adjust to my speed. 

Edited by no_name

^Yes OFC that's why I suggest you use the parking lights.

@Arcangelo

16 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

I have been a cyclist for more than 20 years.

Because there is no bicycle lane

Not that dangerous bro.

In my country we get tickets for riding on the sidewalk, and highways.

Yeah, but I bet those are commuters on bicycles, not cyclists, we don't like dealing with getting on and off the sidewalks. We wanna go fast and fluid.

@no_name  Ask away. I have all the answers on this topic.

Best country for cycling is in Holland and other Scandinavian countries, they practically designed their paths with cycling in mind.

I wish here cyclists get tickets for riding on highways and sidewalks. A week ago almost got into a fight with a cyclist that nearly hit me on the sidewalk. Unbelievable.

@jimwell

19 hours ago, jimwell said:

In Japan, cyclists usually use sidewalks. It's safer for cyclists to be on sidewalks than to be on roads. Japanese pedestrians have no problems sharing sidewalks with cyclists.

I assume they have cycling zones in the sidewalks? Depending on the cycling ability of the person, obviously don't cycle on sidewalks in case you hit pedestrians. God forbid a cyclist hits a baby carriage.

Why are cars allowed on the road?

They're incredibly heavy, requiring massive amounts of energy. Said energy may come from fossil fuels, which is bad, or the car may be electric but then require enormous amounts of materials for the batteries.

They're huge. Like ... huuuuge. They take up way too much space and that is just a wildly inefficient use of space for transporting people. And also all the space you need to park the damn cars for the 90% of the time they're not moving.

They're very dangerous, it's very easy to kill or seriously injure someone with a car.

Now of course I'm not oblivious that you'd need a car in specific situations I've found that as long as there's decent infrastructure, taking the car is very much a last resort to be used only in rare occasions, and through a car-sharing service.

--

Also to answer your question, where else are we supposed to go when there's no bike lanes or sidewalks. Since you're talking about 60 km/h that is outside of cities and very very common not to have a bike lane or a sidewalk in these places.