UnbornTao

Mastery by Stewart Emery (Human Potential Movement Pioneer)

14 posts in this topic

"MASTERY in one’s career and consciousness growth simply requires that we constantly produce results beyond and out of the ordinary.

Mastery is a product of consistently going beyond our limits. For most people, it starts with technical excellence in a chosen field and a commitment to that excellence. If you are willing to commit yourself to excellence, to surround yourself with things that represent this and miracles, your life will change. (When we speak of miracles, we speak of events or experiences in the real world, which are beyond the ordinary).

It’s remarkable how much mediocrity we live with, surrounding ourselves with daily reminders that the average is the acceptable. Our world suffers from terminal normality. Take a moment to assess all of the things around you that promote your being “average.” These are the things that keep you powerless to go beyond a “limit” you arbitrarily set for yourself.

The first step to mastery is the removal of everything in your environment that represents mediocrity, removing those things that are limiting. One way is to surround yourself with friends who ask more of you than you do. Didn’t some of your best teachers, coaches, parents, etc.?

Another step on the path to mastery is the removal of resentment toward masters. Develop compassion for yourself so that you can be in the presence of masters and grow from the experience. Rather than comparing yourself and resenting people who have mastery, remain open and receptive; let the experience be like the planting of a seed within you that, with nourishment, will grow into your own individual mastery.

You see, we are all ordinary. But a master, rather than condemning himself for his “ordinariness,” will embrace and use it as a foundation for building the extraordinary. Rather than using it as an excuse for inactivity, he will use it as a vehicle for correcting, which is essential in the process of attaining mastery. You must be able to correct yourself without invalidating or condemning yourself, to accept results and improve upon them. Correct, don’t protect. Correction is essential to power and mastery."

Edited by UnbornTao

Excellent!

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@UnbornTao

On 7/9/2022 at 4:04 PM, UnbornTao said:

"MASTERY in one’s career and consciousness growth simply requires that we constantly produce results beyond and out of the ordinary.

Mastery is a product of consistently going beyond our limits. For most people, it starts with technical excellence in a chosen field and a commitment to that excellence. If you are willing to commit yourself to excellence, to surround yourself with things that represent this and miracles, your life will change. (When we speak of miracles, we speak of events or experiences in the real world, which are beyond the ordinary).

It’s remarkable how much mediocrity we live with, surrounding ourselves with daily reminders that the average is the acceptable. Our world suffers from terminal normality. Take a moment to assess all of the things around you that promote your being “average.” These are the things that keep you powerless to go beyond a “limit” you arbitrarily set for yourself.

The first step to mastery is the removal of everything in your environment that represents mediocrity, removing those things that are limiting. One way is to surround yourself with friends who ask more of you than you do. Didn’t some of your best teachers, coaches, parents, etc.?

Another step on the path to mastery is the removal of resentment toward masters. Develop compassion for yourself so that you can be in the presence of masters and grow from the experience. Rather than comparing yourself and resenting people who have mastery, remain open and receptive; let the experience be like the planting of a seed within you that, with nourishment, will grow into your own individual mastery.

You see, we are all ordinary. But a master, rather than condemning himself for his “ordinariness,” will embrace and use it as a foundation for building the extraordinary. Rather than using it as an excuse for inactivity, he will use it as a vehicle for correcting, which is essential in the process of attaining mastery. You must be able to correct yourself without invalidating or condemning yourself, to accept results and improve upon them. Correct, don’t protect. Correction is essential to power and mastery."

Amazing share. I just have a few questions for you. Is it okay to compare yourself to those who are lower, equal or greater in skill than yourself, not out of resentment? Like consciously comparing yourself instead of unconsciously doing it?

Also, if we did apply this, do some of us run the risk of burnout/over working, workaholic?

What if the chosen field we dedicate and commit to, we find out roughly half way that actually we wanted this specific area instead?

Also, I personally recommend his two books:

• Actualizations
  • The Owner's Manual For Your Life

Curious fact: Peter Ralston have worked with Stewart Emery in the past.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:29 PM, Danioover9000 said:

@UnbornTao

Amazing share. I just have a few questions for you. Is it okay to compare yourself to those who are lower, equal or greater in skill than yourself, not out of resentment? Like consciously comparing yourself instead of unconsciously doing it?

Also, if we did apply this, do some of us run the risk of burnout/over working, workaholic?

What if the chosen field we dedicate and commit to, we find out roughly half way that actually we wanted this specific area instead?

Definitely look up to excellent individuals, especially in the field you intent to master. However, you should be focusing on your own ass.

Probably the risk of burnout is possible but you're getting ahead of yourself and extrapolating.

Choose what you want and like. Even then, difficulty will arise. Pursuing mastery will inevitable bring up challenging situations, demands confronting self-imposed limitations, and more, regardless of what you decide to commit to. In the end, I imagine that mastery is absolutely worth it, tons of learning and consciousness will be gained.

Edited by UnbornTao

On 3/9/2023 at 0:27 PM, CARDOZZO said:

The Owner's Manual For Your Life

Have you read it? What do you think of it?

@UnbornTao

I'm actually reading it. (Brazilian Portuguese Version)

It's amazing! 

He talks about Fear, Love, Sex and Power.

How to reclaim our lives, living powerfully, expressing ourselves, giving and receiving love.

Definitely a gem :D 

manual.png

3 hours ago, CARDOZZO said:

@UnbornTao

I'm actually reading it. (Brazilian Portuguese Version)

It's amazing! 

He talks about Fear, Love, Sex and Power.

How to reclaim our lives, living powerfully, expressing ourselves, giving and receiving love.

Definitely a gem :D 

manual.png

I bought it a few weeks ago, thank you. ;) 

Edited by UnbornTao

@UnbornTao

2 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

Definitely look up to excellent individuals, especially in the field you intent to master. However, you should be focusing on your own ass. :D 

Probably the risk of burnout is possible but you're getting ahead of yourself and extrapolating.

Choose what you want and like. Even then, difficulty will arise. Pursuing mastery will inevitable bring up challenging situations, demands confronting self-imposed limitations, and more, regardless of what you decide to commit to. In the end, I imagine that mastery is absolutely worth it, tons of learning and consciousness will be gained.

I see, thanks for posting. I already have a list of hobbies I've done, some I still do, and am thinking about turning into a profession of some kind.

Just started reading Actualizations.

So profound! :D 

emery.png