Razard86

The Trap of Spiritual Ego

53 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@SourceCodo it's impossible for 'me' to lose 'my identity' (I would have to become something other than myself, which is a contradiction in terms).. and if I did, who would be left to know it? Not me. 

The identity is a pretty regularly evolving construct that embodies the persona, ego, self, etc. to me. Again, a construct. One of those real unreal things or intangible thing. Personality is influenced by it. Like data. Seems like you jumped to a conclusion on what I was saying. 

Alzheimer’s and Dementia patients can be the first signal fire for you though. People who have reinvented themselves, too. Anyone who has changed their values has changed their identity. 

Who am I talking to though? Why use semantic roundabouts to avoid the reality of your mind? Why is this version of God so ignorant? There’s only one God that is everyone, so why are you being so dumb right now? Is it just so I play with you? Open up and get real. Be yourself, God.

I’m gonna send myself home soon if things don’t start changing around here. 

Edited by SourceCodo

Gone

4 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@gettoefl both are true at the same time.

Consider it this way.. If one of my fingers suddenly decided it was 'separate' from 'my hand'.. it would still be 'my hand'.. but it would be this 'imaginary separation' that is 'ego'.. 

this 'ego' is required for '1 finger' to have an identity (be separate from the rest of the hand).. so if you ask my finger if it thinks it's a finger or a hand, the finger will reply 'I'm a finger, separate from the rest of the fingers'.. but if my finger suddenly realizes it's actually only 'pretending to be separate' to recognize itself, it might recognize itself as the whole hand. 

can one write/speak only from one's ego perspective

@SourceCodo should a whilrpool become shaped in such a way as to produce thoughts, rather than bubbles, on thought that might bubble up is, 'I'm a whirlpool, separate from the stream, that does things, like swirl the water around'..  it would be the entire universe having that delusion. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

@gettoefl there really isn't such a thing as 'an ego'... 'ego' is what we call the phenomena of 'pretending to be separate'.  

If you were identical to EVERYTHING.. how would you know it? What would you compare yourself against to say.. I'm this, not that?  

Ego is required for Everything/Nothing to SEEM LIKE Something.  

When my ego goes.. so shall I.. but the place I go will be EVERYWHERE.  There ceases to be a 'me' and 'that which is not me'.. 

14 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@SourceCodo should a whilrpool become shaped in such a way as to produce thoughts, rather than bubbles, on thought that might bubble up is, 'I'm a whirlpool, separate from the stream, that does things, like swirl the water around'..  it would be the entire universe having that delusion. 

Dim

Edited by SourceCodo

Gone

3 minutes ago, SourceCodo said:

7. first whirlpool has a giant boulder fall into it and no longer is a whirlpool, now it needs new words to describe itself. 

If something happens that causes there no longer to be a me.. how will "I" do anything at all? 

What needs a new word to describe itself? The lack of whirlpool? 

Edited by Mason Riggle

4 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@gettoefl there really isn't such a thing as 'an ego'... 'ego' is what we call the phenomena of 'pretending to be separate'.  

If you were identical to EVERYTHING.. how would you know it? What would you compare yourself against to say.. I'm this, not that?  

Ego is required for Everything/Nothing to SEEM LIKE Something.  

When my ego goes.. so shall I.. but the place I go will be EVERYWHERE.  There ceases to be a 'me' and 'that which is not me'.. 

how about yourself day to day, are you thinking yourself and behaving as separate or the whole thing

8 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

If something happens that causes there no longer to be a me.. how will "I" do anything at all? 

What needs a new word to describe itself? The lack of whirlpool? 

“To be a me” 

Im talking about that me. Just that one. Been talking about it. 

Lose your mind, lose your self. That’s the end of this one. Good luck through the descent.

Edited by SourceCodo

Gone

@gettoefl any time there is imagined separation (a me and a that which is not me), there is ego.  

"I" can only think anything at all when there exists the delusion that there's a 'me'.. otherwise there is just 'what the entire Universe is doing'. 

Tell me.. when you see an apple.. did the branch grow that apple, or did the whole tree grow it?

You think you're a branch who grows apples.. 

You're actually a whole tree that thinks it's just a branch. 

@Razard86 I don't mean any offence, but I have a list/leaderboard that I use to rank people according to spiritual ego. You're currently #1 or #2.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

11 hours ago, Mason Riggle said:

"I" can only think anything at all when there exists the delusion that there's a 'me'.. otherwise there is just 'what the entire Universe is doing'. 

Tell me.. when you see an apple.. did the branch grow that apple, or did the whole tree grow it?

You think you're a branch who grows apples.. 

You're actually a whole tree that thinks it's just a branch. 

want to thank you for your beautiful and patient pointers ... you have been missed around here!

19 hours ago, gettoefl said:

i think we all have a spiritual ego to a degree, it is saying i know and i want to explain what i know to you

a useful question to ask oneself is, how large is my spiritual ego on a 1-10 scale

mine is probably like a 3 since i sometimes explain to people what i know even unbidden, this can be useful since putting words to what we know helps to solidify what we know and that's why a forum like this is useful ... i would say we need to limit ourselves in this

how do you rate your spiritual ego?

This is true, how awareness works or devilry if you will. I can only call something out if I am aware of it, I can only become aware of something in others, if I am aware I possess the same quality. So of course I suffer from the same problem I just posted above, the difference is I call myself out on it. Also if I don't call myself out on it, something in my reality does and I get humbled. Its funny when I do it, and its funny when I see "others" do it too. So I'm not getting on a high horse, more ringing an alarm bell. But yes I completely agree.

How would I rate Spiritual Ego? That is a good question. Maybe something we could all ponder about for fun? 

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

17 hours ago, Gesundheit2 said:

@Razard86 I don't mean any offence, but I have a list/leaderboard that I use to rank people according to spiritual ego. You're currently #1 or #2.

Thank you for that honor, I bow in amazement and thank you that you think so much of me. *gives flowers*

The irony you don't even see, The height of Spiritual Ego is to make a Ego Leaderboard. Anyone who would do so....clearly they are Number One. Whatever you see in others, is just a reflection of what is inside. You cannot run from this. But hey....do you man I'm glad you see so much of yourself in me. Me and You are truly one.

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

18 hours ago, RendHeaven said:

Well said. One of the big traps I see in my spiritual friends is when they make maps about the depth of their not-knowing.

This is obviously a fabrication, because they're still dealing with maps. But to them it feels like they're engaging in not-knowing, because that's what their map says. A map about not-knowing which claims to not be a map. What a perfect tool for a spiritual ego!

I've tried encouraging them to burn the map, but they can't see how that's different than what they currently have - "map, no map, same thing! it's all one!" - they say as they continue to feel as though they've understood.

My strong opinion is that, when you ACTUALLY understand. You humble yourself, and you're truly left with nothing. This manifests in your behavior as silence and acceptance. Because you understand, viscerally, personally, and immediately the profundity and ineffability of Infinity drowning out everything else you've ever known. There isn't even room to "communicate" "with other people," this all falls apart into true union.

People who happily mix and match nonduality with their relative experience OBVIOUSLY don't "get it." You can just sense it in their haphazard delivery. They have no respect for the raging storm of true not-knowing. They would shit their pants if they actually (in direct experience) left the shelter of their maps.

This is a large part of why I personally don't engage in nondual/spiritual rhetoric. I've been to those peaks of consciousness, so to speak, and it shut me the hell up. In the NOW I am not aligned with those peaks, so it's totally out of integrity for me to even pretend to know anything about them. When I return to those peaks, I will once again be stunned into silence. Basically, no matter where I find myself, there is no room for me to communicate any kind of map on The Truth while maintaining inner balance, because either I do not know, OR, I do know, but my life has vanished.

This is not to say that spiritual rhetoric should never occur. There is definitely value in propagating the possibility of enlightenment as a beacon of Hope. However, if you are in the position of spreading enlightenment, you have to be REAL fucking careful about how you use your words, because 99.9% of even the most spiritually advanced people usurp words to primarily feel good about their current existential condition moreso than to be truly benevolent.

Thank you for this post. You have truly understood what is being point at. I have been where you have been but I can honestly say I have fallen from that place. I'll return, after I drop some more of my knowing conditioning. But yes everything you say is true. This should be state because ironically it is the baseline state of all that is. The foundation of all is silent being, and everything just arises from it. Thanks for the post man it was an honor to read your words!!! It is full of so much love and wisdom. 

50 minutes ago, Razard86 said:

Thank you for that honor, I bow in amazement and thank you that you think so much of me. *gives flowers*

No problem.

50 minutes ago, Razard86 said:

The irony you don't even see, The height of Spiritual Ego is to make a Ego Leaderboard. Anyone who would do so....clearly they are Number One. Whatever you see in others, is just a reflection of what is inside. You cannot run from this. But hey....do you man I'm glad you see so much of yourself in me. Me and You are truly one.

Not really. Maybe consider taking a short break from that Aaron guy. Maybe you'll see things in a different light.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

mine is at level 2 or 3, trying to be 1. I was at a solid 8, but I've realized that all that understanding and knowing is nonsense. I just want to open my mind to the absolute unlimited, and for that you have to remove everything else. and it is completely absurd to try to explain that or anything else to anyone.