B222

Leo, why is internet marketing the devils work?

35 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2022 at 7:39 AM, Leo Gura said:

Because marketing is not about truth, it's about presenting a biased picture in order to persuade a sale.

So "conscious marketing" is impossible? If not, can you offer us some resources on it?

22 hours ago, Kshantivadin said:

So "conscious marketing" is impossible? If not, can you offer us some resources on it?

What would "conscious" marketing look like? 

Having an excellent product and presenting it accurately. Letting the product speak for itself as much as possible.

Edited by UnbornTao

On 08/07/2022 at 4:53 AM, Leo Gura said:

All marketing is basically devirly.

What about practising marketing as a way to bring content to people who are already interested in hearing about it and just using things like ads to make sure the algorithm (e.g. on FB) does not work against you but for you, that they actually see it. 

I'm not talking about annoying cold audience by spamming random adds to 500,000 random people or manipulating market in one's gain. 

Or do you not believe there is such thing as conscious marketing whatsoever? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Surely it’s ethical/non devilry if the exchange of value for money is equal, and in a lot of cases the value far exceeds the price.

On 7/8/2022 at 7:39 AM, Leo Gura said:

Because marketing is not about truth, it's about presenting a biased picture in order to persuade a sale.

What about Tesla's non-existent marketing? They don't really market and yet people keep buying their products anyway. 

Would you consider that devilry as well? Or perhaps a step up from the usual marketing ways? 

If I'm presented with an AD for a product, lets say a laptop. and everything about it is presented to me truthfully, is that still devilry? no exaggeration, no lies. still devilry? 

and lastly, Is there a point in trying to avoid being a devil? since that is literally our nature as ego's/living beings

Edited by MarkKol

14 hours ago, MarkKol said:

What about Tesla's non-existent marketing? They don't really market and yet people keep buying their products anyway. 

Would you consider that devilry as well?

That's not marketing at all. So no problem.

The ideal business design is to have a product/service that's so good it doesn't need to be marketed.

People who are into internet marketing are some of the biggest scumbags on the planet. I know cause I used to be one.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:38 PM, Ulax said:

I like the way you put that

Thnks

Edited by UnbornTao

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The ideal business design is to have a product/service that's so good it doesn't need to be marketed.

How will you get it to the people who need it then? Just word of mouth? Feels like it could miss a lot of people that way which is a disservice? Or like someone asked about running ads that truthfully represent the product on every level, is that still devilry?

What’s your definition of internet marketing then and what’s the proper way to sell? Is there a difference? 

Edited by B222

I don't involve my mind in such filth any more.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

That's something I really appreciate about how you run things here. I've felt it to be quite off putting with other content creators when they get too pushy and manipulative with their marketing.

I guess content marketing with a very rare pitch is pure then? Just producing and letting them come naturally?

I think saying ALL internet marketing is devilry is inaccurate. Don’t know if you advertise your LP course or just purely organic, but there’ll be thousands of ‘cold traffic’ out there who would need it right now and with a little bit of marketing/guidance, would be on the right path for their highest good. People are naturally lazy and fearful and very often we don’t know what we don’t know and/or what we actually need. Good, ethical marketing campaigns have the potential to give people clarity and direction. Expecting ideal consumers to just come and find you is a disservice surely. Seems like part of the job is also finding them and giving them the kick up the arse they need lol 

Edited by B222

I haven't studied internet marketing at all but I'm aware of dark UX design/patterns as it's hard to miss because it always causes such inconveniences. The most recent one I've seen is Google ads in Play store applications. The "x" button for skip AD is extremely tiny, it's most certainly intentional. Anyone who has played an AD supported game on mobile knows exactly what I'm talking about. It's their intention that bothers me, people complained and made memes about it but they still kept it tiny. In fact they made it worse.

@Pav

Sadhguru is one of the most marketed person online. Doesn't look like a scumbag to me.

I'm sure if Sadhguru himself was overseeing all his online marketing, he won't be the person that he is. It relates to integrity.

I see alot of wisdom in what he says and does, At times he points at ultimate reality in a very appealing way. But there are times when he doesn't inspire and feels like just another person angry with people attacking his life's work, though he handles those situations very well too. 

I'm getting into the marketing industry. Even while double-checking all facts for checkability and as much 'truth' as possible to sustain profit, my mind has gone so sleazy, dark, manipulative, and sticky it's absolutely uncanny