Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trenton

Types of Desires

6 posts in this topic

I noticed that there are different types of wanting.

One form of wanting is coming from a place of lack. This kind of wanting clings and feels painful as we insist that we need something. It could be money, a spouse, a new job, or anything else. In my case I feel stuck in life because I am telling myself to live up to my full potential by getting a better job than the one at the grocery store. This desire is coming from a negative judgement of my self image.

The other form of desire is one that comes from a place of gratitude or abundance. A simple example is how I have been finding a lot of loose change lately. You could say that this is a little bit like the law of attraction, but I think something much more profound is happening.  The universe can sense my true desires and it manifests itself accordingly. I call this intelligence. An example would be how I wanted to wish people good luck knowing that there were many factors beyond our control that could influence where we go in life. The thought I had was "may the force be with you" because I was referring to intuition as something almost magical. About an hour later a woman came up to me at work and said "may the force be with you." Some people would call this a coincidence even though this never happened before in my life. The way I interpret these things is that our minds our connected and ultimately one. The universe then speaks to me through other people in response to sensing my desires. It could also mean I am the universe.

What are your thoughts on the types of desires? Are there others? In my experience desires from gratitude and hope seem to be much more powerful than ones from lack as I should myself.

@trenton  you are speaking of Human Desires, I suppose, but consider the 'desire' for an object in motion to remain in motion. 

One thing you may notice about 'desire/wanting' is that it is identical to 'the avoidance of suffering', and these seeming opposites: desire and suffering, are actually two sides of the same coin, and are defined relative to each other.  What we desire is 'not to suffer'.. Suffering is 'that which we desire to avoid'.. 

Desire/Avoidance of Suffering is the why anything occurs at all.. for without some state of existence that 'desires' to be some other state, what you get is a static, unchanging, nothingness, rather than a impermanent ever changing somethingness. 

The law of attraction works because there is literally no difference between 'the will of the Universe' (how the Universe 'desires' to be) and the manifestation of that desire. 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

@Mason Riggle I'm confused about something other than human desires. It seems like the will of the universe is all motion. For humans that could mean shifting into different states of consciousness. Our desires are included in what the universe wants.

I think you got it exactly with suffering and desire being two sides of the same coin. My main desire in life is for effortlessness rather than being in conflict with my own thoughts and emotions. I have been journaling about these things for a few years while reading books on emotional mastery. One paradox is the fact that I am in conflict, granted to a much lesser extent, but I want to be peaceful. It is a bit tricky to resolve this paradox because the desire for peace carries the seeds of chaos.

@trenton have you ever noticed that are always already doing exactly what you truly desire to? It’s already effortless. 

I know I am. If there was something I’d really prefer to be doing over this right now, I’d be doing it.. but apparently I’ve decided this is it, right now. 

This is true for ‘the entire Universe’ as well.. it simply moves to ‘preferred states of being’. A rock that is up prefers to be down. 

I prefer to be warm, I put on a sweater, it gets too hot for my preference , I take it off.. 

this is happening.. and you never have to try to make it happen.

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

It's anything other than literal total utter contentment with the present moment. If you want even a single thing to be different about the present moment, there's desire.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:22 AM, Mason Riggle said:

@trenton have you ever noticed that are always already doing exactly what you truly desire to? It’s already effortless. 

I know I am. If there was something I’d really prefer to be doing over this right now, I’d be doing it.. but apparently I’ve decided this is it, right now. 

This is true for ‘the entire Universe’ as well.. it simply moves to ‘preferred states of being’. A rock that is up prefers to be down. 

I prefer to be warm, I put on a sweater, it gets too hot for my preference , I take it off.. 

this is happening.. and you never have to try to make it happen.

@Mason Riggle I think you summed it up very well. Even when I am struggling there is some sense of nobility in the struggle. In this sense I desire to be in conflict with myself. This happens with people who criticize themselves a lot considering it a virtue.

From this point of view that everything I do is what I desire, all reasons that I can't do something are self imposed so that I can stay in the desired status quo.