Rishabh R

How to stop taking life and people too seriously?

13 posts in this topic

Hi @Leo Gura and all. From long time I have struggled with the problem of taking life too seriously. I get angry ,hurt easily when somebody says something to me. I take life and people too seriously. So what is the solution of it? Any books ,videos(especially Leo's videos) recommendation guys?

Edited by Rishabh R
Missed

What is a typical thing you get easily hurt by?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard I am hurt by what people say to me as many colleagues of mine have called me inferior from time to time.They say that don't get involved in dating and relationships as you are a child whereas they themselves are getting engaged at early age ,entering into relationships,dating etc.

Once I stopped taking my own thoughts so seriously, it really helped me stop taking others so seriously. Meditation was key, for me. Watching the thoughts arise and just letting them go. If I have little control over this dream machine, then neither does the rest of the world. Basically, nothing I think really matters, so why should it matter what somebody else thinks. Of course, I am not referring to hurting somebody or any type of abuse. Also, the book the Four Agreements was helpful here, specifically the 2nd agreement.

you want people's praise

you hate people's slays

in short

you now became their slave

1 hour ago, Rishabh R said:

@Carl-Richard I am hurt by what people say to me as many colleagues of mine have called me inferior from time to time.They say that don't get involved in dating and relationships as you are a child whereas they themselves are getting engaged at early age ,entering into relationships,dating etc.

Achieve what you want practically. It acts as a sort of self-validation, rather than needing others. 

Also accept getting offended. It's unavoidable sometimes, but just learn to place less value on what others say, journal about it, write about it. Reflect on the fact that others bullshit doesn't need to stop you in anyway from getting what you want.

For me I contemplated meaning and realized that it literally doesn't matter.

For me I see it as a game. It doesn’t matter how immersed I am. Its still a game and it doesn’t actually matter.

Edited by Cthulu

7 minutes ago, hyruga said:

But you should take life seriously.

Why should he listen to you when his whole problem is taking people too seriously? Do you appreciate the irony? I do take life seriously, but I sure wish I didn't. Seems like MAYA to me. I am still trapped.

7 minutes ago, hyruga said:

But you should take life seriously.

You should and you shouldn't. Life is just about balance. Take is seriously enough but don't over do it. Have fun and play, but don't overdo it. Though I would say, your work and play should be the same otherwise you will be miserable.

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

Learn to accept your self fully and be able to laugh on your mistakes, insecurities, and "flaws". You can watch stand-up or other forms of comedy and "pick on" the vibration of easiness and humor. 

Also, accept your vulnerability. If you feel you are taking life seriously, than don't repress it. On the contrary, own it and join it - and then you can let it go. You can't let go of something you repress or unwilling to recognize as an aspect of you.

@Rishabh R I would try the classic advice for doing meditation from somebody like Eckhart Tolle. Leo probably has some specific videos about this.

Basically sit quietly, focus on the present moment (noises, your breath, the sound of your thoughts inside your head...) Look at your stream of thought, without identifying with it. Just observe it. (Instead of being controlled by it, become quietly conscious of it.) I think that should fix it.

Be careful what you wish for though. Become good at this, and you might start to care too little about life :D

Edited by narkuser

Realize that nothing lasts. This is all just temporary, so enjoy the ride.

hrhrhtewgfegege