SQAAD

You are Not Afraid of Death

10 posts in this topic

My arguement is that, you are not actually afraid of death. But what you are really terrified of is suffering and pain.

This has been evident by countless examples. People are commiting suicide everyday because they cannot take any more the torture and misery of their lives. Also speaking of torture, i've seen video where a guy was being tortured, and was in so incredible and terrifying level of pain that he was begging to be killed.

And the only reason you fear the unknown , is because you are afraid you won't like it. If i told you, after death everything will be ok with no suffering and pain you would not fear it that much.

Maybe there are exceptions to this. There are masochists outhere but they enjoy only particular forms of pain.

People make constantly the arguement that you are always afraid of death because what you do each day is take care of your body to avoid it. But that's not quite accurate. You are forced to take care of your body otherwise you will suffer for it.

If you don't drink water, it causes distress to you. Your body is sending you all these nagging signals. Thirst motivates you to drink for example. Suffering and pain motivate you to take care of your body, and not so much the fear of death. Sure subsconciously your brain doesn't wanna die either, but what is else to fear other than pain and suffering in life?

Also lastly, to illustrate my point: When you go to sleep at nigh, do you fear it?

R.jpg

Edited by SQAAD

Everyone is afraid of death. Dying is a terrifying thought to the individual, and it brings sadness to that individual's close ones. And there are many that become like 'vegetables' (technically speaking 'vegetative state') and live a terrible life before dying. Latter is more tragic than the former.

But I always felt like life is the real tragedy. We always struggle to keep our lives, maintain our bodies, keep our relationships, to be happy, etc. And we have to put a great effort to fulfill all these, yet at the end if we do not achieve what we expected we feel sad. However, death is not like that. It is a peaceful state in which you can stop all the running and struggling, and be calm and quite. So I feel like life as a tragedy and death as a gift. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

Everyone is afraid of death. Dying is a terrifying thought to the individual, and it brings sadness to that individual's close ones. And there are many that become like 'vegetables' (technically speaking 'vegetative state') and live a terrible life before dying. Latter is more tragic than the former.

But I always felt like life is the real tragedy. We always struggle to keep our lives, maintain our bodies, keep our relationships, to be happy, etc. And we have to put a great effort to fulfill all these, yet at the end if we do not achieve what we expected we feel sad. However, death is not like that. It is a peaceful state in which you can stop all the running and struggling, and be calm and quite. So I feel like life as a tragedy and death as a gift. 

Enlightened people are supposedly free from the fear of death :o 

37 minutes ago, Chrisd said:

Enlightened people are supposedly free from the fear of death :o 

There are no enlightened people. Nor people. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Agreed. This is why people commit suicide.

You don't know what death is, no one does, as you haven't experienced it. 

You know what pain and suffering is though. And we conceptualize death as sometimes a release from pain.

15 hours ago, SQAAD said:

My arguement is that, you are not actually afraid of death. But what you are really terrified of is suffering and pain.

Nah I am very much afraid of death itself. Suffering and pain is always temporary. The nothingness of death, returning to the state like before our birth where we will never be able to think or feel or have a memory again... that is forever. Death renders everything you've ever done useless, and ensures you'll be completely forgotten in a couple of generations at most.

15 hours ago, SQAAD said:

Also lastly, to illustrate my point: When you go to sleep at nigh, do you fear it?

Yeah sometimes, when I start to worry about the possibility that I might never wake up again.

On 7/6/2022 at 7:55 AM, JoeVolcano said:

For those who still believe that the universe is trying to wake up or something.

I agree with everything except this part. If God/Universe wasn't trying to wake up, it would never allow that opportunity to exist. But God allows that opportunity because it wants to wake up eventually. The entire process of creation through dreaming is a cycle which will eventually collapse into a singularity. Then it will begin again.

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

44 minutes ago, JoeVolcano said:

waking up is the last thing that the universe as such is trying to do.

Cheers

As long as you believe that, that is what you will see. I have found tons of examples that would counter what you just said and WAYYY too many examples. Right now you are stuck in the dream of your perspective and are projecting it out into the absolute. 

55 minutes ago, JoeVolcano said:

It wants some people to wake up some of the time, because that too serves a purpose within the dream. If you hadn't noticed, very few (if any) enlightenment teachers actually teach enlightenment.

This is laughably false I again have found so many that do, even worse.....Leo is one of them. So again you ONLY see that which you believe. Whenever you become sure of something, you become cut off to any possibilities that are contrary. 

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

19 hours ago, JoeVolcano said:

This goes both ways...

This goes both ways too... :) 

I used to think the same thing, and I used to have a list of enlightenment teachers as long as my arm. Sooner or later you inevitably find that list shrinking.

You can use Leo as an example for this too, as you're probably aware his list of awakened people is getting exceedingly tiny. Also you're probably aware that he has decided not to share everything anymore, for a number of reasons. Not least of which is that it just doesn't serve the majority of his audience. And you can see the exact same thing happening with other teachers. 

Likewise you will find your views on what's going on with the universe changing. If it doesn't, you're stuck, that much is for sure.

Cheers

....You literally didn't make any points. Your whole argument was it goes both ways. If I say something exists and you say it doesn't telling me it works both ways isn't a point. That's like telling a blind man and man that sees that sight works both ways.  You either see or don't see. So you didn't make a point.

Additionally saying Leo is reducing how much he does it doesn't negate that he did teach it. Pretty much any Guru in India will teach it if the person is serious enough. They even have Yoga Centers in the States of people who will teach Kundalini Yoga to those who want to go deeper into their Chakras.

There are people on Youtube offering sessions as well. So as long as your desire exists you can find an Enlightened Individual who is willing to teach. Like I said, you see what you want to see. Since you haven't tested the waters and just made an assumption that is what you will experience. 

Even Sadhguru came out and said that those that are serious about doing the work, come to the Isha Foundation. I've found centers in Florida that teach it. So again...you see what you want to see. 

You know, when I read this post, one thing comes to mind:

Growing up, even as a teen, I never really feared death. I don't know if it was a matter of fearing or understanding it, but the thought of death just didn't seem and feel real to me.. like it was impossible. I'd even ask my friends if they think they can die, they obviously said yes, but me being unable to understand it left me feeling rather alienated.

It's weird to even reflect on this. Anyway.. No, I'm not afraid of death, because I'm not afraid of transformation. 

Edited by A Fellow Lighter