Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Emrie

Good Idea to Change Jobs?

7 posts in this topic

Hello friends!

I'd like to have your arguments about my current situation. I graduated from college almost 3 years ago and had my first job lined up exactly as I graduated. But now I'm actually thinking that I'd want to change jobs.

I actually really like the job that I'm doing and I like the overall environment of the company and the colleagues I work with. But there are a few things that are starting to become pretty growing pains and I know that eventually, I'm going to leave this job. But that could be today or five years from now.

I would say there are two main things for why there's an expiration date on this job:
1) As I'm becoming more and more left-leaning and anti-capitalistic, it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to work for a bank. A lot of people around me call me a hypocrite and they're 100% right, I really can't continue working for a bank. I'm actually quite strict about this for my next job, it'll either have to be for a non-profit, a worker co-op, or the public sector like the government or a public university. That last point seems to be the most likely because the city I live in is quite a big "student" town. One of the two Swiss Federal Institute of Technology is here, and a lot of other schools.

2) The relationship I have with my colleagues is really starting to become more and more colleague than work friends. Even though we're all very young, it just feels like our personalities don't really mesh all that well outside of work and that's actually quite important to me. I need to have good chemistry outside of work as well.

I've actually found a job listing here that I believe I would fit very well and it would be absolutely perfect for me. But the question I'm asking myself is, is it really a good idea to change jobs now? Isn't it too early or should I get more experience under my belt before attempting anything else?

8 hours ago, Emrie said:

I know that eventually, I'm going to leave this job. But that could be today or five years from now.

Why wait 5 frikingggg years if you can pull the trigger today :D.

8 hours ago, Emrie said:

I've actually found a job listing here that I believe I would fit very well and it would be absolutely perfect for me.

Go for it, life's too short to not be where you want to be. What's holding you back?

8 hours ago, Emrie said:

Isn't it too early or should I get more experience under my belt before attempting anything else?

Sounds like you've got plenty of experience already from it. 

If there's nothing holding you back (ie you are not constrained by earning a certain amount of money or something for example, even that's debatable..), go for it.

Don't stay out of a sense of obligation (I know how easy people can guilt you into staying). Watch out for people ped-"stalling" you into staying because of how much they "appreciate you". ;)

Contemplate, if your "avatar" only has one more year to live, how would you make this decision?

Follow your heart, trust your inner guidance.

Edited by puporing

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

8 hours ago, Emrie said:

it'll either have to be for a non-profit, a worker co-op, or the public sector like the government or a public university

People generally switch jobs to get more pay, in every 3-4 years. I understand that pay is not your concern, but principles for which your company is based on. This just makes the whole process more complex and hard to arrive at a decison.

8 hours ago, Emrie said:

But the question I'm asking myself is, is it really a good idea to change jobs now? Isn't it too early or should I get more experience under my belt before attempting anything else?

If you are financially secure, then you are good to go. If not, I would advice to get that part of your life secured before experimentation.

Experience in a top tier bank is always a good safety net. You always have the option to return to the old job, just in case you feel like it. 

Overall it's hard to be fully satisfied at a job when you are based on principles. (Unless you are working for yourself).

The bank is not exactly capitalistic, but it is whatever it need to survive. Yes, they are doing devils work sometimes, but the difficult part is to accept that it may be necessary for society. Maybe you leaving it makes no difference overall since someone more devilish may take up that position.

It is a tough moral decision to make, if you actually care about changing the world for good.

Godspeed to you. ❤️

11 hours ago, Emrie said:

I've actually found a job listing here that I believe I would fit very well and it would be absolutely perfect for me.

What new job would that be?

If you think it would be absolutely perfect, then you should definetly try it. Apply, go for an interview and see how the work environment and atmosphere is there. (You don't need to quit your current job to look around for new ones). This will help you to make your decision.

Also I agree with the others. You got almost 3 years of experience already in the bank, that is already definetly something to show forward. There's no need to stay 5 more years, if you now you won't be happy later anymore.

Of course you need to make sure that you are secure financially. If the new job has similar payment, like your current one (or at least enough to provide for you), why not try it out :)

Don't be afraid of making mistakes in your working life. I think this belief that one need to have a perfect resume without any flaws, is starting to get old, many people and companies will focus on your personality and see if you fit in with the team.

Good luck to you!

Leo has got something for you ;) (from the latest video, time-stamped):

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, I'm gonna apply right now.