Vision

Anxiety vs Caution?

12 posts in this topic

What is the difference between anxiety and caution?

Here’s what I think:

Anxiety is an emotion and a feeling. It is a feeling that doesn’t feel good and causes suffering. It is fixated on things that disastrous things that can happen, but probably won’t. Despite the unlikelihood, anxiety fixated on possibilities.  

Caution is a neutral process. It does not give any negative feelings that cause suffering. 

How does one stop being anxious and move to healthy caution?

Both rely on threat sensitivity (actual, perceived, potential), and anxiety skews to the perceived and potential end, which is mostly mediated by neuroticism (emotional lability and negative emotion). If there is anything that lowers neuroticism while keeping "objective" threat sensitivity intact, it's meditation.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I'd like to contribute by making a distinction between "physiological anxiety" (eg substance-induced) and mind-induced, if there is a difference. Let me know what you think. It seems to me that one can be fully present, yet anxious this way, since in my experience there is a distinct difference in how the mind and body behave, yet the texture of the feeling of anxiety is similar, but the former is thought-induced.

anxious is the universe is out to get me, cautious is the universe is on my side but won't save me if i jump out the window

You can be cautious without any anxiety.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

being care full, careful isn't anxiety. It's the opposite 

On 3/7/2022 at 10:21 AM, Vision said:

What is the difference between anxiety and caution?

Anxiety = fear-based emotions

Caution = logic-based reasonings

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

Just now, Superfluo said:

Caution = logic-based reasonings

+ feeling-based intuitions

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Vision Sometimes I find it helpful to consider both difference and similarity. One way anxiety and caution are similar is that they both involve a perceived threat to the individual and the mind-body tries to protect itself from that threat. (The threat can be actual or manufactured). . . I'd say a difference is that caution involves calmness while anxiety involves activation of the sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight). A low dose of anxiety can be helpful, yet too much anxiety is disabling. 

Example: An actual threat to the individual

Imagine driving down the highway at night in a snow storm. The road is icy and you've driven by two car accidents. Caution would realize this is a high risk situation and we need to direct our attention to our driving. We may turn down the radio and tell the passenger no more discussion so we can focus on driving. There is a sense of calmness. . . I'd say a little bit of anxiety would be a good thing as this would stimulate the body to be even more alert, improving our driving. Yet too much anxiety would be disabling, decrease our driving ability and increase the chance of getting into an accident.

Example: Manufactured threat to the individual

Imagine we are taking a public speaking class and are about to give a presentation. It is a supportive environment and no actual threat. Here, there is no need for caution and a little bit of anxiety is a good thing for peak performance. . . Yet what if our mind manufactures a perceived threat? The mind thinks "What if I look stupid? What if I fail? I could fail in the class and get kicked out of college! Paul's presentation was so good, I'm not as good as him. Everyone is going to find out I'm an imposter and don't belong here". And on and on. . . Here too much anxiety due to manufacturing a threat would be disabling and decrease performance.