DefinitelyNotARobot

Confusion about enlightenment.

7 posts in this topic

The problem with enlightenment is that it's undefinable since all definition is just a small part of it. 

At least that's my perception of it from things others have said and reference experiences of mystical states that I had. And that's the problem. There is this perceived duality of enlightened/unenlightened. I have certain assumptions about what enlightenment means. There is the belief that this right here isn't enlightenment unfolding because I am not feeling oneness, love, nothingness, infinity and am not behaving selflessly, spontaneously, effortlessly and mindfully. But these are just my ideas of enlightenment. These are just things I project onto reality. I think that reality isn't perfect so this couldn't be perfection right now. And since this isn't perfection I am not enlightened. But that's just a perception. There is the perception of a future in which "I" will "become" "enlightened" and that this moment isn't "it" because there is this checklist of criteria that aren't being met. There are so many implicit assumptions hidden within my investigation of reality, that it feels really difficult to navigate it all.

So what's up with that? How do you work towards enlightenment when you don't even know what enlightenment is? What even is the motivation of it all? I guess there are a lot of egoic reasons for me, but there is also this deeper curiosity for reality. There is this longing for... something. I don't know where that desire is pointing to.

So am I really not enlightened, or is unconsciousness just a belief that could be let go of? I can't answer this question because I don't know what enlightenment means. I tried to let go of "unconsciousness", but I didn't get too deep with it. Maybe I need to try again on psychedelics.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

29 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

There is the belief that this right here isn't enlightenment unfolding because I am not feeling oneness, love, nothingness, infinity

You are right in that belief. You ain't awake.

So what's up with that? How do you work towards enlightenment when you don't even know what enlightenment is?

That's why psychedelics are so crucial. You don't need to guess or talk about it.

What even is the motivation of it all?

Truth and understanding.

There is this longing for... something. I don't know where that desire is pointing to.

Complete self-understanding.

So am I really not enlightened, or is unconsciousness just a belief that could be let go of?

You are nowhere even close to awake. And no amount of rearranging your beliefs will awaken you.

It's like you are a blind man asking how you must change your beliefs in order to see a sunset. Obviously that will never work.

You CANNOT believe or think your way into awakening. A change in your state of consciousness is mandatory.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Maybe I'm just an enlightened master playing the role of an unenlightened fool. ;)

No but for real, is unconsciousness an illusion that has to be let go of in order to attain enlightenment, or is it more like a feature of consciousness. Like does unconsciousness need to happen in order for awakening to happen? Also why does it seem like enlightenment is bound to time "I'm not enlightened right now, but maybe I'll be if I take 10g of mushrooms next Friday."

These are just some perceptions and ideas I'm trying to deconstruct.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

@JoeVolcano So is this whole journey is irrelevant in awakening? Why then do spiritual teachers create all of these practices and emphasize certain "truthful" ways of living?

beep boop

17 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

@Leo Gura Maybe I'm just an enlightened master playing the role of an unenlightened fool. ;)

It's way worse than that. You are God playing a fool ;)

No but for real, is unconsciousness an illusion that has to be let go of in order to attain enlightenment, or is it more like a feature of consciousness.

Unconsciousness is imaginary. Consciousness imagines it.

Like does unconsciousness need to happen in order for awakening to happen?

Dreaming needs to happen for there to be something to awaken from.

Also why does it seem like enlightenment is bound to time "I'm not enlightened right now, but maybe I'll be if I take 10g of mushrooms next Friday."

Awakening is a function of your state of consciousness. This state can change. Some states have time in them, others don't. Time doesn't exist outside of states, it exists only within certain states.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The whole spiritual path itself is a dream. There’s nobody to become enlightened. Nor is there anyone longing/striving for enlightenment. Nor anyone who has ever attained it. Absolute non-manifestation
is the only Truth.

Edited by Deadpixel

What happens is that you are in the middle, making it difficult to see. if you move away, reality becomes obvious. The problem is that you can't get yourself out of the way.