Jannes

Protein powder without heavy metals

48 posts in this topic

Where to find them ? Preferably vegan. I know that vivolife tests for heavy metals but I don’t have the money for their products so something cheaper would be great. 

Edited by Jannes

16 minutes ago, Jannes said:

cheaper would be great

I think unfortunately with this kind of thing, you're absolutely a niche customer, and thus you're always gonna be paying niche product prices

On 2.7.2022 at 10:17 PM, something_else said:

I think unfortunately with this kind of thing, you're absolutely a niche customer, and thus you're always gonna be paying niche product prices

Yeah everything else I found was even more expensive. 

Yeah, this is a potential problem. I'm a little bit disheartened by how Vivo have been increasing their prices lately.  They have a great product but it is getting to a point where they are unaffordable for a lot of people unless you wanna commit to regular bulk ordering. 

You can always just not use protein powders and max up on your dietary sources. Might even be healthier 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 5.7.2022 at 10:16 AM, Michael569 said:

Yeah, this is a potential problem. I'm a little bit disheartened by how Vivo have been increasing their prices lately.  They have a great product but it is getting to a point where they are unaffordable for a lot of people unless you wanna commit to regular bulk ordering. 

You can always just not use protein powders and max up on your dietary sources. Might even be healthier 

You can get cheap protein powder at myprotein or bulkpowders for less then 10€/kg ( ≈5$/pound I think). 
Milk products are getting more expensive, meat is unethical and legumes make you fart and are time consuming to prepare. It’s hard ?

@Jannes I'd rather gouge my eye with a teaspoon than consume something from myprotein

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Aimblack look at their ingredient list, its full of chemical, glucose syrups, additives, caking agents, thickeners. I understand why they are there but companies Like Vivo or Huel are now using more wholefood ingredients instead these days. 

Secondly, that low price has to come at a cost somewhere else. I'm up for affordable products but they seem to push it too far. Either they are monopolising the market  in some way and eating up small competitors, or cutting down employee payments, or screwing over suppliers or screwing over the farmer's market or getting the cheapest most garbage ingredients they can, importing whey from god knows where. Their website has no language on 3rd party and metal testing. I don't trust them, never have and never will. 

I don't recommend my clients protein powder anymore unless they specifically want to take them. And since most of my clients are not pro athletes or bodybulders, most people can get their protein from food. Still, if you want some, I'd go for something organic, tested, vegan and that is neither soy protein nor animal protein. Or just get a pressure cooker and bulk up on lentils and beans and you won't need any of this. 

@Michael569  Thanks for the advice, I think I'll just go with protein from food because the cost is simply to high for the brands you suggested and I've been looking for weeks for just unsweetened whey protein powder with those additional concerns you mentioned I don"t think it's worth it.

Just now, Aimblack said:

I'll just go with protein from food

It may take a while to get the right ratio if you are athletic and especially if you prefer to get most of your protein from plants but what I found, just bulk ordering wholegrains and legumes and then always soaking few bowls of beans and lentils, pressure cooking large batches and then freezing them in small bags has been a way to go. 

Once you find a level of efficiency to do this, then in combination with organic tofu, which is becoming more and more affordable you should be all sorted. If you eat animal foods then by default you are probably eating more protein then vegetarian or vegan person so I wouldn't worry too much unless you are a competitive athlete. 

The protein concerns are just way way out of proportion due to all the industry propaganda, marketing and social media. In reality, most of us are eating more than we need. 

Expecting a cheap heavy metal -free protein powder is like expecting health food from McDonald's.

I would bet that even the most expensive brands will be filled with heavy metals, because no one is testing for it and no consumer is willing to pay extra for it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

It may take a while to get the right ratio if you are athletic and especially if you prefer to get most of your protein from plants but what I found, just bulk ordering wholegrains and legumes and then always soaking few bowls of beans and lentils, pressure cooking large batches and then freezing them in small bags has been a way to go. 

Once you find a level of efficiency to do this, then in combination with organic tofu, which is becoming more and more affordable you should be all sorted. If you eat animal foods then by default you are probably eating more protein then vegetarian or vegan person so I wouldn't worry too much unless you are a competitive athlete. 

The protein concerns are just way way out of proportion due to all the industry propaganda, marketing and social media. In reality, most of us are eating more than we need. 

I'm doing keto so basically all my protein is  coming from animal products.

3 hours ago, Aimblack said:

I'm doing keto so basically all my protein is  coming from animal products

ah, in that case, i'm sure protein is not a concern then :) 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Expecting a cheap heavy metal -free protein powder is like expecting health food from McDonald's.

I would bet that even the most expensive brands will be filled with heavy metals, because no one is testing for it and no consumer is willing to pay extra for it.

A lot of assumptions here, Leo. Actually, there are a lot of brands which provide 3rd party lab tests for heavy metals and mold  and they sell at a resonable price. 

Edited by LSD-Rumi

The only ones I found that contain the least amount based upon some site that did comparisons, are "Body Fortress" and "Pure Protein" both happen to be walmart brands. so they are very inexpensive. I emailed Optimum Nutrition, about their (Gold Standard Whey) to obtain the lab results for heavy metal content and they returned my email saying "they do not have any lab results for the heavy metals they can release to me." I also emailed GNC with the same question about (Bulk 1340)  they basically ignored my question and said "their product meets the standards." So good luck getting any company to tell you. I stopped buying both brands and the priced jumped so high anyway. You could chelate the heavy metals you will be consuming out, if you plan to continue taking protein powder. But thats the same thing as pouring out your cup to fill it right back up again. I assume the overall levels should drop the more you chelate though. Im still working on the right method to deal with this problem as well. I been using and searching more healthy alternatives of plant foods such as chickpeas, legumes, and beans. It can be hard to excuse the easy way of using powders especially if your in the gym consistently or your a hard gainer. 

Edited by Kamo

Focus on the solution, not the problem

@Jannes Try this in a blender. 1 cup of whole grain oats, 1-2 cups of whole milk (or if you need vegan--soy or almond milk), 1 dollop of peanut butter, 1 diced banana, and a splat of honey. That should do the trick, heavy metal-free. And it's probably way cheaper than the snake-oil protein powders.

Whey protein is far less notorious for containing heavy metals than plant sourced protein. Don't buy any pea or soy protein without a verified 3rd party lab test and searching for people opinoin on reddit. There is also spirulina or nutritional yeast. You could use these as they contain a significant amount of protien and are generally safe.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

7 hours ago, Kamo said:

The only ones I found that contain the least amount based upon some site that did comparisons, are "Body Fortress" and "Pure Protein" both happen to be walmart brands. so they are very inexpensive. I emailed Optimum Nutrition, about their (Gold Standard Whey) to obtain the lab results for heavy metal content and they returned my email saying "they do not have any lab results for the heavy metals they can release to me." I also emailed GNC with the same question about (Bulk 1340)  they basically ignored my question and said "their product meets the standards." So good luck getting any company to tell you. I stopped buying both brands and the priced jumped so high anyway. You could chelate the heavy metals you will be consuming out, if you plan to continue taking protein powder. But thats the same thing as pouring out your cup to fill it right back up again. I assume the overall levels should drop the more you chelate though. Im still working on the right method to deal with this problem as well. I been using and searching more healthy alternatives of plant foods such as chickpeas, legumes, and beans. It can be hard to excuse the easy way of using powders especially if your in the gym consistently or your a hard gainer. 

I live in Germany so I would need to buy these online. Body Fortress seems really expensive and Pure Protein I can’t find. Do you know how expensive they are at Walmart ? Maybe I haven’t looked enough.

I didn’t do any heavy metal detox yet or even tested myself. What’s your experience with that ?

4 hours ago, julienw said:

@Jannes Try this in a blender. 1 cup of whole grain oats, 1-2 cups of whole milk (or if you need vegan--soy or almond milk), 1 dollop of peanut butter, 1 diced banana, and a splat of honey. That should do the trick, heavy metal-free. And it's probably way cheaper than the snake-oil protein powders.

That’s a weightgainer and not a protein shake. 

6 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

Whey protein is far less notorious for containing heavy metals than plant sourced protein. Don't buy any pea or soy protein without a verified 3rd party lab test and searching for people opinoin on reddit. There is also spirulina or nutritional yeast. You could use these as they contain a significant amount of protien and are generally safe.

Yeah I should probably switch to milk protein.

I don’t have good experience with spirulina. It think it is good at solving all kinds of toxins from your body but it doesn’t take it out so these toxins do even more damage to your body.