LostStudent

Hearing white noise and jaw tingles when running long distances.

13 posts in this topic

My goal this year is to finish a 50 mile ultra marathon and I've been working towards this goal these last few months. Prior to this, 26 miles is the longest I've ever run in one session, as this is usually the length of a standard marathon. I've been noticing during my runs that I hit a wall betwen miles 30-35. I start feeling a tingling sensation on my jaw, hearing white noise, and sometimes even my vision starts streaking/fading. Fatigue usually follows, I can push through it for a bit but my pace slows down considerably and I'm not nearly as efficient with my strides. I initially thought this had to do with nutrition so I cleaned up my diet making sure I had a hearty meal the night before, I even tried consuming gels during the runs for the added energy and to top up my glycogen stores. Perhaps it will take my body longer to get used to running these distances. I'm curious if anyone has ever experienced anything like this?

Why is this necessary?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Running 50 fucking miles and complaining about problems is like jerking off for 5 hours and complaining about dick rash.

Maybe, like, treat your body with more respect.

22 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Running 50 fucking miles and complaining about problems is like jerking off for 5 hours and complaining about dick rash.

So thats where my dick rash is comming from -_-

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

3 hours ago, Medhansh said:

Sadhguru- "You must use this body. The more you use it, the better it gets."

Care to clarify?

did you ever see a runner smiling?

20 minutes ago, Medhansh said:

It's not a question of smiling or frowning. It's a question of whether it's good or bad for your body.

Most people frown at the sight of a salad, and smile when it's turn to eat a pizza. So what?

life is for the fun not for the glum, i quit self flagellation long ago and now engage in self adoration, god is a party-er not a punisher, a dancer not a dieter

@Leo Gura

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Why is this necessary?

I guess it's not necessary. I run regular marathons without any issue so I just wanted to challenge myself. I've met people who run 100 mile ultra marathons and this made me believe that running 50 miles is more than possible for me. Perhaps I'm naive and this is my limit. 

@Something Funny

6 hours ago, Something Funny said:

@Leo Gura

@LostStudent have you checked if you have enough electrolytes while running for so long?

I've tried taking electrolyte drinks/tablets before and during my runs but I've never gotten any blood tests or anything like that to actually measure my electrolyte levels. I do find it helps a bit but I still experience this issue. 

1 hour ago, LostStudent said:

@Leo Gura

I guess it's not necessary. I run regular marathons without any issue so I just wanted to challenge myself. I've met people who run 100 mile ultra marathons and this made me believe that running 50 miles is more than possible for me. Perhaps I'm naive and this is my limit. 

I know a guy who jerked off on meth for 5hrs a day.

Wouldn't recommend it ;)

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

@LostStudent to qualify myself real quick... I'm a competitive runner and have been since the age of 12 and was a post collegiate sub elite runner. Studied training theory and athletic science in regards to distance running around the same age and a lot of my running friends are among the best MUT runners (Mountain, Ultra, Trail) in the world as professional athletes. 

18 hours ago, LostStudent said:

My goal this year is to finish a 50 mile ultra marathon and I've been working towards this goal these last few months. Prior to this, 26 miles is the longest I've ever run in one session, as this is usually the length of a standard marathon. I've been noticing during my runs that I hit a wall betwen miles 30-35. I start feeling a tingling sensation on my jaw, hearing white noise, and sometimes even my vision starts streaking/fading. Fatigue usually follows, I can push through it for a bit but my pace slows down considerably and I'm not nearly as efficient with my strides. I initially thought this had to do with nutrition so I cleaned up my diet making sure I had a hearty meal the night before, I even tried consuming gels during the runs for the added energy and to top up my glycogen stores. Perhaps it will take my body longer to get used to running these distances. I'm curious if anyone has ever experienced anything like this?

As far as this goes I think playing around with nutrition during your long runs will be a thing to work with. Everybody is different when it comes to this. I know people that do well off of straight gels and water and don't need to complicate it too much. Some people I know have to go with more actual foods. I suggest really playing around with this. I usually just roll with GU's and making sure I'm getting enough salts in. I'd like to know though, was there any change that occurred as you started adding gels? If so what were they? 

I would also add that it's worth considering the duration of time you're out there too, rather than just distance. 30 miles for me would be a bit north 3 1/2 hours if I was just cruising and not really pushing. For a lot of other people though that might be 5+ hours of being out there, especially if you take into account vert. 

Also, just keep in mind that some of this stuff just comes with the territory as far as fatigue goes but I have a hard time imagining your nutrition not playing into the stuff you're describing. Drink enough, eat enough, eat well enough, and make sure you're bumping up your training at an appropriate levels such that you're not overtraining. 

And of course, keep going! You can totally do this. The ultra community is a wonderful community to be part of. A lot of humble yet crazy characters. I encourage to really see this through. You got this ????

Would love to know what race you're signed up for! Do share your result! Best of luck!

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You're completely ignorant of what you're talking about. Your body has adapted to being able to handle running long distances for hundreds of miles at a time. The science and history on this is indisputable. The muscles and tendons from your feet all the way through the posterior chain literally act as a form of shock absorption and our ability to cool ourselves via sweat allows us to be able to keep moving while still cooling ourselves. Something no other animal has which humans used to their advantage for thousands of years via persistence hunting. There are plenty of cultures where running 100 miles isn't some huge feat. Especially at one point in history. 

Edited by kieranperez

@Leo Gura Is this the part where you tell us it was you and how you overcame it

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston

I'd like to qualify myself by stating that I'm an idiot learning everything the hard way.
Gentlemen, I can say with absolute certainty that sometimes the best meals are caught and cooked ... slowly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/35y9n6/married_to_an_elite_runner_heres_a_picture_just/

My kitchen is well stocked with high-quality organic coconut oil.
Nutritious and delicious!