How to be wise

Jordan Peterson joins Daily Wire!

57 posts in this topic

I don’t understand how a supposedly Orange/Yellow person could join an obviously conservative news outlet.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Makes me regret being charitable to his teachings.

His politics are just awful.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

They must be paying him a shit ton, too much to refuse. He's earning $1M a year from Patreon and still seems too burned out after rehab for something like this. Unless it's fulfilling some kind of ideological greater good for him.

45 minutes ago, Yarco said:

Unless it's fulfilling some kind of ideological greater good for him.

This

He's an anti-SJW-warrior. Which is ironically stupid and intellectually bankrupt. But it makes for a great brand.

At least he was banned from Twitter.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I see no problems here, everything needs to happen the way it does for us to move forward. Sometimes we have to move backwards to move forward. It takes awhile for groups of different thinking to learn to come together and sometimes...some generations need to die out for progression to happen. So its fine, just history doing its thing. 

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

Most of what I heard in that video was personal development .

Why wouldn't anyone want for conservatives to get more exposed to such stuff.

I hope he does not get tangled up in this culture war bs that much this time.

But I have a feeling that he will.

I don't know anything about the rest of the content of Daily Wire. I don't watch it, or Rebel Media, or PragerU, or any basic bitch conservative content.

But looking at just the original video that was posted here, I approve of the content. I do think boys grow up mostly coddled by female teachers and role models their entire life and never learn to be men. We don't have any coming of age ceremonies or manly stuff any more. Even among millennials (including myself) we are largely neutered and domesticated in comparison to our fathers or grandfathers, and I think it would be good to give some of that power back to men. Their primordial masculine essence that's lacking, and you can insert it back in without the toxicity that often accompanied it in the past.

"You should be a monster, and then you should learn to control it" sounds like quite an overexaggeration. But when you're giving that message to men who don't know how to be men any more, they might need something a bit more inspiring and extreme like that to swing them back in the right direction.

This initial series sounds like the same kind of stuff that Jocko Willink, David Goggins, or Elliot Hulse teach and I'm okay with it. Nothing about SJWs, just lifting men up as a group. You might think men already hold disproportionate power in society and we need to remedy that. We can work on things like equality while also continuing to further empower men. We don't have to lower men to raise women or vulnerable groups up. A stronger and more confident man is typically a more benevolent and loving one. It reduces neuroticism. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Edited by Yarco

34 minutes ago, Yarco said:

I do think boys grow up mostly coddled by female teachers and role models their entire life and never learn to be men.

Check your beliefs. Unless you met every boy in America, you won’t know that this is the case. And I highly doubt that Peterson is basing his theories on actual stats. There’s no census that ever went to a very large number of teenagers and asked them if they were coddled by female teachers, or if they have ever learned how to be a man. This wouldn’t be possible, since men will never agree on a set of principles that defines a true man. 

7 hours ago, How to be wise said:

I don’t understand how a supposedly Orange/Yellow person could join an obviously conservative news outlet.

Well, both Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro are well-known religious conservative intellectuals, which is probably why they resonate with each other. However, I've never fully understood why guys like them who are much smarter, much more educated, and less scummy than most conservatives and Republicans are, are still totally on side of conservative Republicans.

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Makes me regret being charitable to his teachings.

His politics are just awful.

If guys like Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro are undoubtedly smarter and more educated than the average American then why haven't they been able to question both their own religious dogma and all of right-wing politics? 

21 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Well, both Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro are well-known religious conservative intellectuals, which is probably why they resonate with each other. However, I've never fully understood why guys like them who are much smarter, much more educated, and less scummy than most conservatives and Republicans are, are still totally on side of conservative Republicans.

If guys like Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro are undoubtedly smarter and more educated than the average American then why haven't they been able to question both their own religious dogma and all of right-wing politics? 

It’s interesting that they never talk about the legacy of Puritanism in the anglosphere, which is the real source of the anti heterosexual male rhetoric in anglo feminism.  They blame it on the fiction “cultural marxism”, but Marx was a Victorian Gentleman.  Jordan Peterson boldly dives into history and culture but ignores the elephant in the room.  

Vincit omnia Veritas.

I think you guys are strawmanning Peterson here a bit.

I think Peterson, being a clinical psychologist and having had such a tough life is just painfully aware how important and foundational family values, integenerational relationships and belongingness are for the majority of society. Once this foundation gets pulled from under our feet people will completely lose their minds and purpose for living. There is already a rampant mental health and meaning crisis in the west and basically everybody lives in ones own little customized reality bubble through which one sees and makes sense of the world, which is only gonna get worse with new emergent technologies like AI.

You have to appreciate how deep Petersons thought is influenced by depth psychology and especially Jung. I totally believe Peterson sees himself as a kind of martyr and is fully surrendering himself to these archetypal dynamics. For him its a holy war and he wants to be on the right side of history.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@Leo GuraI'm glad you can finally see it Leo, the way he spoke about Elliott Page in particular was absolutely disgusting.

Edited by BeHereNow

I like a clip where Gabor Mate's talks briefly about JBP.

I agree with him where says its like JP is choking back the rage. I think his unintegrated psyche is teh main basis for his political beliefs

I also agree with @Razard86's take here, about it being a normal part of progress.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

10 hours ago, How to be wise said:

I don’t understand how a supposedly Orange/Yellow person could join an obviously conservative news outlet

The Daily Wire is Stage Orange, in my opinion.

I am very surprised by the success of "The Comments Section with Brett Cooper".

I thought they would never pull off targetting to Gen Z but her channel is blowing up more and more every day.

Just now, JoeVolcano said:

You might consider that rage is sometimes healthy, justified, and a potent agent of necessary change.

Agreed.

However, I think the rage causes him to have many misperception which inform his political views.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

3 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Because people make decisions based on their emotions, and they use logic and reason to justify their decisions. Every salesman knows this.

4 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Education and academia is not true intelligence. It's mostly group-think.

3 hours ago, BeHereNow said:

@Leo GuraI'm glad you can finally see it Leo, the way he spoke about Elliott Page in particular was absolutely disgusting.

I always saw his politics as misguided and reactionary.

I just hoped he had more sense than to join Ben Shapiro. It's really quite an embarassment for an intellectual to take Ben Shapiro as anything but a clown.

This is a fantastic stage yellow conversation on politics. They touch of the decline of Jordan Peterson etc at one point.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Education and academia is not true intelligence. It's mostly group-think.

But I don’t think that they both achieved the kind of top educational level they each got by simply regurgitating concepts and knowledge. They also had to constantly use and enhance their critical thinking skills.

Also, why do higher educated individuals tend to vote more for liberals and Democrats?

Edited by Hardkill