Fred Fulton

What am I other than the need to belong?

9 posts in this topic

Just come out of a beautiful and intense 5 day retreat at Plum Village in France. Traced not some but every single one of my thoughts now and maybe for years behind me to a need to belong. Slightly terrifying. Is this what draws all minds away from the present, is that what all language and everything we have created is? Is it why we write every emoji? 

Now should start to explore what else is there.

Thanks ?

There's survival and there's truth seeking. Truth seeking can be another mechanism for survival in my opinion. However, as you get closer to the flame of God, you realize quickly the Truth is the end of survival and thus death. Death of identity. Ego is identity, thought attachment. Once you are left with no needs you realize what you essentially are is consciousness itself, unbounded selfless, eternal. Needs to belong and survival are of the finite, fictional character that consciousness cosplays as to have duality and a self (the dream). If these needs were not so strong you would awaken.

10 hours ago, Fred Fulton said:

Just come out of a beautiful and intense 5 day retreat at Plum Village in France. Traced not some but every single one of my thoughts now and maybe for years behind me to a need to belong. Slightly terrifying. Is this what draws all minds away from the present, is that what all language and everything we have created is? Is it why we write every emoji? 

Now should start to explore what else is there.

Thanks ?

A need to belong because there's a sense that you do not belong already?

You need to satisfy belonging needs .

maslow-pyramid.jpg

11 hours ago, Fred Fulton said:

Traced not some but every single one of my thoughts now and maybe for years behind me to a need to belong.

normal. as a human you are not an independent being but part of a gear. an ant in an anthill. without belonging you would not survive a week. subconsciously you know it and that's why you seek to be accepted. one way to be well accepted is to have money, or good looks. this is why it is difficult to wake up, because this software occupies a lot of memory

On 01/07/2022 at 9:55 AM, WelcometoReality said:

A need to belong because there's a sense that you do not belong already?

Sure is - sorry for the delay and kind of you to reply. I am just trying to work out what I need to belong to - wife, friends, etc or be comfortable with just myself or  understand reality, consciousness etc - feel like it needs to be the latter but not even really started yet

On 01/07/2022 at 10:32 AM, Zeroguy said:

You need to satisfy belonging needs .

maslow-pyramid.jpg

Not sure if this is a basic need where it stands in this diagram or part of self actualisation to move beyond the need. Trying to understand if it’s something that can be moved beyond in some way

I don't think you move "beyond belonging".

When you were born, you already belonged.

You can't escape or ever leave belonging.

Belonging isn't something you "gain" or "lose". It's always present.