DefinitelyNotARobot

How do you actually shift perspectives?

9 posts in this topic

For example: Sometimes when I'm depressed I get the feeling that I'm simply stuck in the perspective of a depressed person and that I could be experiencing a different perspective on life right now, which would radically shift my outlook on things. But seeing this intellectually is different from experiencing the actual shift.

So when I find myself stuck in a certain perspective, how do I start manifesting a shift right then and there? I could probably make a list of other perspectives, but I feel like that might just be more intellectualization which would keep me from experiencing the actual energetic shift that is required in order to truly assume that other perspective.

beep boop

Learn to control the mind by meditating. Eventually, after many weeks and months, you will naturally be able to shift such states by virtue of simply being aware of them and catching yourself mid flow. 

Apparently.

Generally only do this for things you cannot change. You have to make yourself sincerely believe that the thing you're worried about does not matter, that you don't care about it at all. This is really what letting go means.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

A morning jog, in my experience, could shift the mother of any depressed perspective.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

You'll be able to do it if you do a ton of Brainstorming and sharing other's perspectives, that is engagement. 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

@DefinitelyNotARobot You are talking about shifting state.

Action shifts state better than thinking.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@DefinitelyNotARobot

I would start with recognizing that your are not you perspective.

You already have, you said it yourself, by deliberately stepping away from your depressed perspective and "entertain" a different perspective, your frame of mind changed. 

Recognize how important this statement is. 

If what/how you experience changes with shifting perspective, then you are not your perspective. 

You are not your perspective, so why holding on to it so dearly?

That's a first step towards something new. 

I'd say, instead of desiring a different perspective, try working on having a loose connection with perspectives, to such degree that perspectives are not ours, they are tools that are more of less favorable towards producing some outcome. 

If you are clear about the outcomes you want to create, i.e the effects and impacts and not the output generated in that process, then it will be much easier to see what works and what does not work in moving you closer to that outcome in a more efficient way. 

This mean, if you would drop desire, then no tool is needed. Perspective becomes entertaining but inherently useless. Judgment, assumptions, conceptualizing can still be done, but they are more of a separate thing to yourself, than a part of you. 

Building up this ability makes shifting perspective not only less personal, but shifting is personally beneficial when looking at those outcomes you want to generate. From defending existing perspectives as part of self, to welcoming exchanging ineffective tools, as more effective tools show up. 

You recognized your perspective as that of someone with depression, you switched that as the ineffective tool it is, to another tool that rationally makes sense it would be more efficient, and it was. 

That's a pretty easy example, most would replace depressed with happy, but don't know how to do it.

What if you think you know your perspective is efficient and maybe even the only right perspective. 

The emotional attachment to that perspective as part of the definition of who you are will prevent you from replacing that perspective. 

How can you become more perspective-fluid, so that we accept and drop perspectives as they are useful? 

This requires being comfortable with change, and perspective change is the ultimate personal change, shifting part of who we think we are into something else. 

The more comfortable with change we are, the less resistent to change we are, the more practice in flowing we get, the less perspectives will matter to us from the point of view that they define who we are. 

Curiosity is important in this process - to not reject but to explore curiously the perspectives of others, to see what they see, and appreciate with that perspective, their desire outcomes, and what deficiencies that drive them. 

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

For me, Abraham Hicks' suggestions about this resonate the most. Just look for thoughts that feel better. Sometimes I would implement this method, and moved myself from states of quite some fear to being filled with the energy of like a throbbing excatasy or excitement within 10-20min. Looking for better feeling thoughts, that move you back into allignment, is one of the best discoveries I've made in this life.

Unpopular opinion:  You can't do it.  You aren't something that 'does' things, but rather something that 'occurs'. 

If I asked 'How does a tree grow apples?', a scientist could tell me all kinds of interesting things about the process, and which trees go about it most successfully, and 'how' that happens.. but recognize that 'the tree' isn't really 'doing' anything other than 'being a tree'.  

What you are really asking is, 'how can I be like myself'?  And the answer is, you can't, because you're already doing it! 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."