IAmReallyImportant

Profound Meditation

8 posts in this topic

I have used the counter to track all my thoughts and reactions when I am on my way to the gym.

By clicking, one is moderated or conditioned to be more attentive. And it's easier to condition yourself to let go.

In addition, you know how many thoughts you have in, say, a 5 minute meditation and can get a better awareness of the monkey mind. You can also make a meditation out of taking the counter for 5 minutes and just clicking once on each thought.

https://amzn.to/3naLsPa

Edited by IAmReallyImportant

You can derive it from simple logic

Left means not right

So you make a click with each thought you have, counting them?

Focus on the solution, not the problem

18 hours ago, Kamo said:

So you make a click with each thought you have, counting them?

Yes, you can do it also on emotional reactions and or thoughts while taking a walk or count distractions etc.

It is extremely effective. 

Left means not right

thoughts are pretty subtle, i do however find it helpful to count eye blinks with walking meditation, after you get settled they tend to zero

3 hours ago, gettoefl said:

thoughts are pretty subtle, i do however find it helpful to count eye blinks with walking meditation, after you get settled they tend to zero

That is exactly rhe point, you have to be attuned to catch thoughts, which as you say are subtle. This increases your concioussness on that on which duality is caused by, thoughts. 

And it is useful because you don’t have to use your mind to count. So no thoughts fall on counting.

It is not just the counting, the click sound plays the major role on this method. 

Edited by IAmReallyImportant

Left means not right

I can't stop thinking even while I sleep. a real madness. I understand perfectly what thinking is and why I think all the time, but I can't stop doing it. I think things without any sense to fill the space. random unrelated phrases. everything except silence

8 hours ago, IAmReallyImportant said:

Yes, you can do it also on emotional reactions and or thoughts while taking a walk or count distractions etc.

It is extremely effective. 

I assume its to track the total amount of "clicks" to keep track of the amount of mental traffic going on?

3 hours ago, BenG said:

How do you count thoughts? Where does one thought end and another begin? Also, isn’t the counting of a thought another thought that needs to be counted?

Straight answer is You determined when one stops and another starts, its your mind. Its pretty simple really. If you think in words, It would be at the end of what ever sentence is going on with in your inner monologue. Could be what ever idea that is conveyed, If you wanna condense all the words down. If you think more in pictures then count the individual images that appear in your mind. Those are rather distinct differences so that shouldnt be too hard.  You could break the thoughts down into types. There can be for example "action thoughts" like "Im going to make dinner" or "im going to the gym" which can appear as a quick images of the actions your about to engage with. There can be "memories" so flashes of thoughts you experienced in the past, which can generally play as a review of the experience. usually has a beginning and an end before a new thought appears. For example "remembering changing your flat tire" You might recall the beginning being getting out the donut, unscrewing the lugnuts, pulling the tire off ect...but then maybe you hear someone outside lay on their horn which makes you imagine that going on outside. so you would stop the thought there and start the new one with the new stimulus of the horn. You mainly try to break them down into individual ideas, Could be "observations we make. "sound of birds, feeling of cool air on skin," Where your mind drifts to you can determine the transitions as individual thoughts to be counted, If you practice mindfulness this becomes obvious. Or if your aware enough to notice the "pauses" between thoughts count that instead. If you wanted to count the counting of the thought as well, then you would simply double the number on your counter, dont make it complicated. Its subject in how you want to go about it, its just a technique he is trying to share, which he finds helps with his mindfulness.