Someone here

Notice the space between thoughts-best meditation technique

14 posts in this topic

Just take a moment to observe your thoughts. Notice that there is a gap between them .it lasts for few seconds between each thought and the next one. . There’s a space, a gap between this thought, and the arising of the next thought. With time and practice, we realize that the space, the gaps, are much bigger than we ever imagined. At first, we experience them as short breaks between thoughts. But as we pay attention, the gaps become bigger and bigger until we see that the entire background of our mind is spacious.it’s a big gap. And all the thoughts that come, however many there may be, cannot obscure the gap.

In the beginning of practicing this technique , the act of noticing disrupts the act of being caught up in the moment, in a particular thought. And then we notice the next thought, and there’s a gap, then the next one, and a gap. As we keep doing this, as we keep practicing, the mind gaps keep growing. As they become larger and larger, we feel more and more relaxed. We start to have the sense that the gaps are actually much truer, much more real, than all the superficial little thoughts that bubble up and can seem so important.

So the gap starts small, and as we continue paying attention to the space between thoughts, as we continue minding the gap, our meditation naturally shifts towards awareness. We see how the mind is producing thoughts, and realize that awareness of thoughts doesn’t have to take us away from being present. This is where the meditation becomes more about awareness, where mindfulness becomes awareness. Mindfulness and awareness are not separate: they work together. Each time we’re aware of something..a thought, an object etc..we become more aware of the space around it. Think about it Everything happens in space!

This simple technique will show you that you are not your thoughts. That you are consciousness. The gap itself.  And notice how the more you practise this technique and abide as awareness between the thoughts  ..the more you become free from a lot of suffering that is basically constructed by your mental processes. And eventually you can reach enlightenment. Or the recognition of your true nature as pure spacious consciousness. Pure space .

If you have any questions..ask away ?

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

I also talked about this technique in my simple enlightenment guide here ..so you might want to check it out 

-Osho

@Someone here

I'd add that the aim is to be so conscious of the moment that there is no room for thoughts to come. Everyone can test that what I said is true for themself and not blindly believe in it. Also because gap, sense of self and indefinable sensations are perceived they can't be you and that's more advanced step to the technique. Third step is to see that the sense of self dissapears when you become more and more conscious so you see clearly that you is another thought.

-joNi-

Who told you that "others" are real?

13 minutes ago, Kksd74628 said:

the sense of self dissapears when you become more and more conscious so you see clearly that you is another thought.

-joNi-

in my experience there is a difference between the ego self (the false self which is illusory) and the true Self (we might call it God or Love or Infinity or whatever ).

Enlightenment is both a gaining and a losing process. You lose your false self and gain the true infinite Self .

The ego doesn't go away with enlightenment. Ego is a deep and fundamental aspect of mental operation. Its Rather a projected self image, which you had taken to be real, is seen as an illusion. There is no doer. You see how the ego program works. A feeling like pride arises from it, and you realize that emotion makes no sense.

It is not the ego that needs to die, but its illusory beliefs. Both enlightenment and death are creations of the egoic mind. The truth is, neither really exist, you only think they do!

Your task in awakening to the truth of your existence is not to rid yourself of ego, but to purify it and to live in harmony with it.

-Osho

@Someone here

All sense of self and ego either big or small is more clinging, that's what I'm saying. Clinging to be some way over another. When you don't have any clue of I, you win. Living in harmony with ego sounds just afraid ego's last survival mechanism, because doing so keeps the the fun thought, thought of I, alive. All what I said I've seen thanks to meditation and that proves you can see it too.

1 hour ago, Kksd74628 said:

@Someone here

All sense of self and ego either big or small is more clinging, that's what I'm saying. Clinging to be some way over another. When you don't have any clue of I, you win. Living in harmony with ego sounds just afraid ego's last survival mechanism, because doing so keeps the the fun thought, thought of I, alive. All what I said I've seen thanks to meditation and that proves you can see it too.

I like to distinguish  between the false ego self and the true Self. The ego self  is a construction of mind. Even the tree you see is a construction of mind so it is not so far fetched that this elaborate mind construction of a self is nothing more than delusion. It is however very necessary and useful . Without a sense of self you wouldn't know who's shoes to put on in the morning, as Alan Watts puts it lol.

-Osho

@Someone here

I don't have sense of self in my daily basis, but I just put grey shoes with N logo every morning. The one who haven't achieved this state will always rationalize benefits of living in harmony with your ego so you know whose shoes to put, but that's ridiculous when you have experience without sense of self first time. It takes reasonable amount of meditation with correct technique + mindfulness during the day to get to it and it is kind of personal anyways.

@Kksd74628

The feeling of a me, the sense of a me in the body dissappeared…now there is sensation as life or awareness as this. The body is sensation but not my sensation. With the sense of an individual me not here, any division or separation as life is not here either as the separation was the sense of me but when I was that me (again “I” is used but not felt) that me had no idea it was in the way, that me was the looker, the seeker and it was the dream veiling life that's not two. The sense of self did not destroy itself, it can not because its not real in the first place. Like dreaming yourself awake, it can not be done. It's Grace.. Amazing Grace… It has nothing to do with selves or personal will. Its also exceptionally ordinary and unseen, unnoticeable to another. In a funny ironic way even though it has no person to it, its deeply personal. Lol. Just like all duality meets here and is neither and both at the same time. Everything is here while nothing is here and none of it makes any sense. That's what's so wonderful about it, the mind can not grasp…

Mind is absolutely impotent here..

Love.

-Osho

@Someone here

Now you phrased in a way I could agree easily on what is said. The place where "sense of self" existed is occupied with indefienable sensations. Those sensations don't belong to anyone and are universe itself. The more you try to make sense of the sensations that exist in present moment the less you know about them after all assumtions and weird thoughts have gone away. 

51 minutes ago, Kksd74628 said:

@Someone here

The place where "sense of self" existed is occupied with indefienable sensations. Those sensations don't belong to anyone and are universe itself. 

Well, in Buddhist philosophy, the ego self is an illusion that does not exist, this is distinct from the spirit. which is pure mind, our real identity. I agree with this philosophy, as I understand that our ego is formed by social shaping, which makes us appear to be something that we’re really not.

But don't forget that you don't exist as a separate self. That's the illusion of separation .but you exist as pure consciousness itself. 

When you wake up from a dream.. you don't say that you were a character because you are the creator of that dream. The entire dream (not the dream elements) is actually you.. not only the character you're playing. The other characters that appear on that dream are just components that make up the whole dream.. they don't have a life of their own to wake up at the same time with you. Don't take this too literal.. just that in real life you're not a character or a human, you're the entire Universe that you're experiencing right now. This is not solipsism . This is absolute oneness and nonduality. 

-Osho

@Someone here

I guess we're close enough and your perspective is interesting, but I just told my own take of what I've experienced and what I live 24/7. As I said the more you focus on one aspect of reality the less it makes sense if you'd erase all assumtions from it. It's like no choice of word can describe the perception, sensation or the nothingness so it'd feel like the real thing anyway close. That's what perspective, way of looking the thing, is. Verbalizing what you experience is very hard if all in the communication don't have good self-expression skills and idea of how the another one communicates.

great points. It seems that you have really broken out of the prison of the mind, right? or are you such a smart guy that you can make it seem so?

On 6/22/2022 at 2:44 AM, Someone here said:

Just take a moment to observe your thoughts. Notice that there is a gap between them .it lasts for few seconds between each thought and the next one. . There’s a space, a gap between this thought, and the arising of the next thought. With time and practice, we realize that the space, the gaps, are much bigger than we ever imagined. At first, we experience them as short breaks between thoughts. But as we pay attention, the gaps become bigger and bigger until we see that the entire background of our mind is spacious.it’s a big gap. And all the thoughts that come, however many there may be, cannot obscure the gap.

In the beginning of practicing this technique , the act of noticing disrupts the act of being caught up in the moment, in a particular thought. And then we notice the next thought, and there’s a gap, then the next one, and a gap. As we keep doing this, as we keep practicing, the mind gaps keep growing. As they become larger and larger, we feel more and more relaxed. We start to have the sense that the gaps are actually much truer, much more real, than all the superficial little thoughts that bubble up and can seem so important.

So the gap starts small, and as we continue paying attention to the space between thoughts, as we continue minding the gap, our meditation naturally shifts towards awareness. We see how the mind is producing thoughts, and realize that awareness of thoughts doesn’t have to take us away from being present. This is where the meditation becomes more about awareness, where mindfulness becomes awareness. Mindfulness and awareness are not separate: they work together. Each time we’re aware of something..a thought, an object etc..we become more aware of the space around it. Think about it Everything happens in space!

This simple technique will show you that you are not your thoughts. That you are consciousness. The gap itself.  And notice how the more you practise this technique and abide as awareness between the thoughts  ..the more you become free from a lot of suffering that is basically constructed by your mental processes. And eventually you can reach enlightenment. Or the recognition of your true nature as pure spacious consciousness. Pure space .

If you have any questions..ask away ?

Nice technique and insight around it. Just came across this. 

@Mu_ glad you liked it . :)

-Osho