DefinitelyNotARobot

Why use the term "God"?

23 posts in this topic

This question will probably answer itself as I grow, but I'm curious why people call whatever this is god. There is a quiet a bit of stigma around that word and lot of people hold images and beliefs as to what that word means. Does it hold any special meaning that you're trying to convey which no other word could convey more accurately? During some of my psychedelic experiences I felt like that there was a deep sense of intelligence at the root of everything, but I wouldn't necessarily use the word god. What I like about the word "reality" is that it doesn't imply any "doing", but simply "selfless being". It just is what it is. At least that's what I perceive the word god to mean. Some kind of "entity" doing stuff. That's the problem with language. It always comes with certain implications. When you say a word (especially when it's a very abstract one) people will have entirely different perceptions of it.

So I'm curious why people like that word so much.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

The theologian Paul Tillich replaced the word "God" with "ground of being".  

Vincit omnia Veritas.

Carelessness about transmitting a message. It's obviously very unwise to use the word God with a Western audience. I always used Brahman instead. Then people will have to look that up and it's a completely alien definition to what "God" conjures.

As Eckhart Tolle says, it’s just another sign post to try and describe this inconceivable mystery. Obviously god is interpreted as some dude controlling everything by most, but I think it’s just another label; god, consciousness, love, source, spirit, the universe, etc. all point to the same thing but the words can never give it proper meaning. ‘The power of now’ goes deep into but must be complemented by meditation/stillness/presence to be felt and understood.

'God' is the most powerful word. Men, because of their ego, can't stop themselves in general from using the most powerful word.

2016 - first experience with "God".  Autoimmune flareup, first and thus far worse one - I got very sick.
Smoked some weed and decided to go through the fear "for real."
Had this song playing and I sat with the fear and kept looking at this image and projected a sense of love and appreciation for the music and present moment.
I had done 2 months of vigorous self-examination before then and just wanted to have some resolution.
The image took on a more natural, illuminated, and completely "alive".
What was intuited was "I Am God", but there were no words.

Cause when you realize it, there's not better word to name it..

One writer use to write with double quotation marks around the word ""God"", to make extra sure people didn't confuse the word with some external wizard entity, that picks sides in wars and damns souls to a forever torture realm.

I use a variety of words for this reason, but I also use the word God all the same. The original definition has always meant something more, but re-defining it for the exoteric masses, is still useful.

Hahaha ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 hours ago, RMQualtrough said:

I always used Brahman instead. Then people will have to look that up and it's a completely alien definition to what "God" conjures

Very interesting. Wouldn't they have a similar reaction once they saw that Brahman is a hindu concept?

@B222 Yeah I was figuring that it was pointing to some kind of truth, but why this word in particular? How would my personal concept of what "god" means help me reach some higher truth, because that's what sign posts are designed for aren't they? They hold some kind of partial truth that is just close enough to navigate you to your destination. So what about this word in particular is so interesting?

9 hours ago, Loba said:

The image took on a more natural, illuminated, and completely "alive".

So would you say that it's the "aliveness" of everything which makes the word "god" resonate with you? What drew you to this word?

@petar8p Same question to you. What qualities make it so appealing?

@Rokazulu What image does this word invoke in you?

@Leo Gura You're laughing at your own joke here Leo.

beep boop

People use it because they are culturally conditioned to represent "higher power" with this word. But it has no significance, language is completely conceptual. The only reason a sound or a symbol/word would have any meaning or emotional charge, is because of the mind. If you become deeply conscious, people can talk with you and you can see that there is no meaning to the sound you hear, unless you give it meaning. It can be like encountering a new language that you didn't learn, all your hear or see is meaningless sound or symbols.

So, actually the best way to represent the Absolute is no representation at all, complete silence.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Very interesting. Wouldn't they have a similar reaction once they saw that Brahman is a hindu concept?

If you plug that into Google, the descriptors are very different and not at all humanized.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

@petar8p Same question to you. What qualities make it so appealing?

Everything Leo teaches in his videos. 

It's all loving, infinite intelligence, no particular object or character, but everything at the same time. Consciousness. Everything is everything and will forever be. You cannot run away there's nowhere to run. The questions of beggining seize to exist, cuz for something to begin it needs to seperate from something else, right? There could never be seperation cuz it only is, existance, power, imagination realizing itself. Seperation is hallucinated and you cannot wrap your head around it, just take care of yourself, continue your spiritual journey/quest and it will dawn on you sooner or later, maybe next lifetime. 

You cannot run away from it, you are it. 

I'm sounding like every other mystic ever but there's no other words to describe really. Words are for mind and God created mind so they can never truly point back to him. 

Have a nice day ?

Edited by petar8p

13 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

This question will probably answer itself as I grow, but I'm curious why people call whatever this is god. There is a quiet a bit of stigma around that word and lot of people hold images and beliefs as to what that word means. Does it hold any special meaning that you're trying to convey which no other word could convey more accurately? During some of my psychedelic experiences I felt like that there was a deep sense of intelligence at the root of everything, but I wouldn't necessarily use the word god. What I like about the word "reality" is that it doesn't imply any "doing", but simply "selfless being". It just is what it is. At least that's what I perceive the word god to mean. Some kind of "entity" doing stuff. That's the problem with language. It always comes with certain implications. When you say a word (especially when it's a very abstract one) people will have entirely different perceptions of it.

So I'm curious why people like that word so much.

Buddha avoided the word God because of the cultural crap that's associated with it. Notice that this occured within the context of relationship and communication (when he was teaching others).

Once you know what it is, it's a good label, as in "the absolute nature of reality." But only said to yourself since the term will be problematic for the collective. It's better to leave it open for them with an abstract term, by calling it Truth or Being.

Because it's God!!!! Don't you get it?

If you don't understand your awakening isn't deep enough.

I am Physically Immortal

I am also more than God :)

I don't see the use of the word God as any greater or more advanced than someone who rarely use it. The knowledge and inner understanding someone possess, isn't directly reflective of a habbit to reiterating a certain word. The use of the word God can often be highly manipulative, to try to come across as "all knowing" themselves by using such a leverage word that the word God can be many times.

I was a kid, I was playing on the rocks and I slipped, I was falling down a huge waterfall. Then something brought me back, I was taken back to the top, against gravity, against science, against any possible explanation. That experience scared me for many years, until I managed to report it to my mother, who didn't understand, no one seemed to understand what I couldn't prove...oh my God! Only I could understand. (do you understand me?)

2 hours ago, Batman said:

So, actually the best way to represent the Absolute is no representation at all, complete silence.

That's very true. The biggest insight I've gotten came to me in moments of silence. It's still amazing to me that something like a sentence could lead someone to investigate this silence. The sentence is pointing at nothing and yet it could be fully understood. At least that's how it appears. Pretty fucking cool if you ask me.

@ZzzleepingBear I don't have any personal experiences relating to god, so I can't really judge whether a person is using it to point to some truth or whether they're just casually throwing it around. Where I'm currently at I just try to judge people by the things I feel like I do understand.

@Fernanda That's a crazy story. If I had an experience like that I honestly wouldn't even be sure what to make of it. I had weird experiences in the past that I tried to explain to people but ended up being judged for, so I can relate to that feeling of trying to open up, but being shut down immediately. Life can be lonely when people think you're crazy and won't really receive you. But then there are people who do understand and receive you and that's just priceless.

beep boop