Theperciever

How am I not my brain?

19 posts in this topic

Im a pretty open-minded person, so if someone could clearly explain to me how I'm not my brain without being wishy washy that would be greatly appreciated. 

i get that I'm not my body or emotions but I don't get the brain aspect, how am I not just a self-aware brain? 

sorry if this has been mentioned already i tried searching but couldn't find. Much Love!

also if leos done videos on this please link, thanks!

https://youtu.be/5N9xARPfJYY

Simple stupid you are not brain because what you are is not material and something thats not attached to anything you are like space...

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

1 hour ago, Theperciever said:

Im a pretty open-minded person, so if someone could clearly explain to me how I'm not my brain without being wishy washy that would be greatly appreciated. 

i get that I'm not my body or emotions but I don't get the brain aspect, how am I not just a self-aware brain? 

sorry if this has been mentioned already i tried searching but couldn't find. Much Love!

Lets say you were the brain.  The brain is made of billions of parts.  What part are you?  What if someone removed half of the brain.  Would it still be you?  What if someone removed 99% of the brain and just left a tiny smither.  Is that little section you?

This is actually how you would do self inquiry if you believe you might be the body or a part of the body.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

1 hour ago, Theperciever said:

You did not look this up, there is literally a video by Leo that is entitled Why Brains Do Not Exist. If you just go to youtube and type in Leo Gura Brain you would get the video where he explains it........ this reveals you are not serious about self-inqury. Because you are not even motivated enough to find a video entitled "Why Brains Do Not Exist." 

Edited by Razard86

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

Brains don’t have eyes so they can’t see like you can so you must be more than your brain.

Perceptions correlate with brain activity. Consciousness goes beyond perceptions.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Your consciousness extends beyond your brain, you just aren't aware of this, but you can become directly conscious that this is so. It is your consciousness that creates your brain as a thing inside consciousness.

Because everything is consciousness, it is more fundamental than any specific limited thing.

That doesn't mean the brain isn't a thing inside consciousness that affects it, it only means that your brain isn't what creates it

I am Physically Immortal

I am also more than God :)

You are not your brain exclusively. So you are and you are not. 

I think people are mistaken who say you are not your brain. That is not the whole truth. 

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust

17 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

You are not your brain exclusively. So you are and you are not. 

I think people are mistaken who say you are not your brain. That is not the whole truth. 

You are correct, but its a whole rabbit hole, got to guide them carefully. 

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

1 minute ago, Razard86 said:

You are correct, but its a whole rabbit hole, got to guide them carefully. 

I think Leo is not elaborate enough in his wordings and he doesn’t give enough context. Some of his older videos on spirituality do more harm than good.  

In Tate we trust

Oh yay, finally, something I can answer.

Right now, you assume your brain is creating the images etc, and your thoughts. So assume for now that is true, ait?... But what you actually believe is the most fundamental element of what you are, is not the images and thoughts but the element that observes those images and thoughts.

So you don't think you are a thought, because you don't think you will stop existing when your current thought ends. You don't think you are eyesight because you don't believe you'd stop existing if you went blind. And so on and so on...

The sights, thoughts, sounds, and things you think your brain is generating, are the CONTENT of awareness. These things can morph around, while you will always remain as the backdrop... What is the backdrop?

The backdrop is "empty", it is inherently itself nothing... See: Imagine losing every sense one by one. Eventually you may imagine yourself in a black void devoid of thoughts or feelings. But black is visual. It is a color. Your table doesn't see black, nor do people born blind. So remove the black. What's left?

Nothing.

That is what you are right now, get it? NOT the content that you think your brain generates (I won't refute that rn, it's not necessary), but the literal nothing that all of that content appears within.

Uhmmmm... I feel like I'm missing something... But I was going to angle at the fact that it does not make logical sense that nothingness could be created or destroyed.

33 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

I think Leo is not elaborate enough in his wordings and he doesn’t give enough context. Some of his older videos on spirituality do more harm than good.  

I disagree, the man talks for hours giving hundreds of examples. But hey we just simply see things differently its cool.

3 hours ago, Theperciever said:

I get what you’re asking. Try this thought experiment: 

Some bored neurosurgeons decide to replace one of the neurons in your brain with a synthetic neuron.

The new neuron does *exactly* the same job the original neuron did: it opens and closes ion-gated channels and fires action potentials to release neurotransmitters across the synapse.

Since it’s doing exactly the same thing as the original neuron, you do not notice any difference.

Encouraged by this, the bored scientists develop a process to replace 10% of your neurons per day. Again, you notice no difference, since all these neurons are simply doing the same job the old neurons were.

After ten days, all of your neurons have been replaced by artificial neurons. You still do not notice any difference.

So, are you this new brain, or were you just the original brain? Or are you both? … or neither?

Apparently.

Look around at the whole world or universe you see around you, that appears in consciousness. Notice you feel you're inside the head. Just take in whatever view presents itself -- in your case it'll probably be that of being a human-being living in a universe. Notice all the information transfer happening in the universe. Besides the fact that you have eyes situated in front of where you know your brain to be, notice the only other reason you think you're the brain: you know it to involve a very high density of information transfer associated with your experience. But of course, there's energy transfer going on everywhere that also affects (and is actually completely interdependent with) your experience. So why would information-transfer-density imply that what you are is the thing with that high density, as opposed to everything else? And where is the boundary between the information transfer happening in the brain and the transfer happening at any location or any time? Can you at least see that a definite boundary is unfindable?

Edited by The0Self

@The0Self @axiom @RMQualtrough @StarStruck Absolute legends, Thankyous very much for your helpful answers. You are the people who make this forum so great! Much appreciated 

@Razard86 currently in the middle of his spiritual video which takes a while to integrate, I saw that video and hoped for community response to see how it can verbally be disproved that we are not the brain, ill eventually watch it. 

I don't think I fully explained well enough.

I think you might want to try this book "Refuting the External World" by Goran Backlund:

https://amzn.eu/3xGJsmp

Which should help with the understanding of what is "out there" (meaning the true face of matter, etc, which of course your brain is made of).

And material can be thought of as almost a computer GUI. So obviously if you click an icon on your computer it will directly relate to an event, but the icon is itself just an appearance which represents the computer code underlying everything. The icon isn't causative, but directly representative. And you should find that the brain is the same. It represents the experience of being human... Hence you can distort that experience entirely by messing with its representation.

The material and mental world are entirely singular. So it is not that there is not matter, it is about what matter actually is. That is the understanding I think someone is meant to reach.

You are a mind imagining a brain.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Do you experience your self to be a brain? No, all you have is seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling, tasting, thinking. The brain is just the image of what other mind looks. 

So the only thing you have is perception (which includes the perception of thought), and in other words - "appearances". Now ask, what is the nature of this appearances?