Thought Art

10 Tips for Bouncing Out of Emotional Setbacks

14 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, so from time to time I can fall into depression, hopelessness, and suicidal thoughts. So I thought I would write a list of the tools I’ve learned to get out of this head space. 

1. Get enough sleep. When we aren’t sleeping well our brains don’t function and getting depressed or losing control of our emotions becomes very easy.

2. Call someone. Call a friend, family member or suicide/ mental health hotline. You’d be surprised how good you feel right away. Socialize.

3. Check your diet. When your diet is poor  it affects your mental health. Eat healthy foods. 

4. Take action! Instead of feeling hopeless and trapped take action on what you know you need or want to do. Just doing it, even when you initially don’t feel like it makes a huge difference.

5. Vent in a forum or journal.

6. Read books about cognitive behaviour and remind yourself of your values.

7. Journal, write lists, to do’s, your values, and affirmations.

8. Move your body! Exercise. Walk, run, lift weights or do yoga or Qigong. 

9. Meditate, body scan, feel present. Smile into your body.

10. Let go, surrender and accept what is. 

Stop smoking. Damaged lungs = chronic anxiety.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Great list! :) 

Yes those hotlines can be really good and I'm glad it's there when you literally have no one else to talk to about it.

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

I admire you both. 

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

Wonderful list of tools. Often overlooked and underrated too in favour of more glamorous bling solutions. Thank you for such a brilliant reminder. :) 

Read books about cognitive behaviour 

Got any suggestions?

Thanks for the list!

For me, calling someone is always my go to.

Beyond that

• Get down and do some burpees, get that physical movement.
  • Create jokes and Laugh at the situation.
  • Listen to my favorite song
  • Dance to it
Edited by ZenSwift

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

Take a shower. Showers are underrated. It will wipe away all the thoughts and stories you accumulated throughout the day, and it pulls you into the present moment. It's an instant increase in consciousness.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

@ZenSwift Letting Go - David R Hawkins and a book called Adversity Quotient by ? 

and Pathways to Perfect Living Vernon Howard 

◭"89"

Thank you everyone for supporting with my recent trigger and negative thought pattern self deception.

I found that a small mushroom dose, and hanging out with friends was enough to lift my spirits and change my patterns.  I am enjoying myself, though I don't know what the future holds.

I think I am trying to succeed with Force, but I need to embody Power.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@acidgoofy Ahaha, really.. my biggest problem is financial struggles from being laid off and how that is affecting my mind. I really don't like insecurity. But, it's my fault for not doing proper financial savings over the years. I was pretty well paycheck to paycheck for as long I can remember. Trying to get out of that.

◭"89"

@Thought Art congratulations. 

Hitting rock bottom in this way and coming back is what makes you a person, forges you. You will be a solid guy, without cheating yourself 

That is a good idea to make such a list! Like an emergency list haha.

For me, I wouldn't put "calling someone" on it, but I guess it can be different what works for different people. Usually calling someone or reaching out makes it worse because the person won't be able to help and that will make us both feel worse. Also if you keep doing that, you will eventually lose your friends 

I wouldn't put "calling someone" on the list. I don't know about emergency hotlines, I guess that's different, but my experience is that calling a friend or family member when you are deep into suffering is a quick fix that doesn't work in the long run, and sometimes it can even make it worse immediately.

My experience is that if I call someone while I'm deep into suffering everything they do or say will just hurt because I'll be wearing hell-colored glasses. 

That or it will help, but I'll feel bad for being dependent on others to feel good and also wasting their time. Eventually, I'll feel bad again and call them again and it can't go on like that. 

Healthy people want healthy friends, right? 

This sounds very pessimistic...

The balance between using others to fulfill your needs and trying to learn how to do that yourself is something I have been trying to figure out for such a long time. Because, on the one hand, humans are social animals, it's only natural to need other people, and maybe some needs can only be met by social interaction? But then again, shouldn't we be able to feel extreme happiness just from connecting to God, which you eventually would be able to do perfectly by yourself. 

@Sine Yeah, it depends on you and your needs and relationships. Hotline help, you can just vent to them because they are paid to help you.

Friends, I would just call to say hey and talk casually about things and have a good time.

◭"89"

The king's taken back the throne
The useless seed was sown
When they say they're cutting off the phone
Then tell 'em you're not home

No place to hide
You'll find there's a soldier on their side
You're still a soldier in your mind
But nothing's on the line

You say it's money that we need
As if we're the only mouths to feed