axiom

Google engineer claims G's LaMDA AI is sentient.

175 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

A bunch of codes will never make for the complexity of human brain that allow for consciousness.

How do you know? This is very limited thinking

You have no idea what level of complexity is required for self-awareness to arise, for a start. And biology is also not always that efficient. It might be possible to create something as powerful as a human brain with 1/100th the material complexity.

A modern computer is already capable of doing things in seconds that your brain couldn't do in a trillion years, too.

@something_else It is about just mere power and complexity. A super computer is far more powrful than any human but it is still dumber. What is important is the quality of those nueral connections. And I don't believe any machine has that kind of connections. 

29 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

And I don't believe any machine has that kind of connections

Why do you believe this is impossible?

@something_else Becuase I know a brain is built different, it has a higher quality and a higher rank of neural connections that allow for sentience. but of course,  I still have to do some research about this topic but this is my opnion for now

2 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

What ? Even under an idealistic ontology, you would still distinguish between sentience and non-sentience. A rock under idealism is made out of consciousness, but it's not sentient (experiencing pain or pleasure), as that requires at least sensory organs, which are survival tools given to animals.

I define sentience as the ability to experience.

Under that definition, I don't think any thing is sentient at all, including humans or AI. It's a level playing field because it's all automata. It is not sentient in and of itself. Sensory organs assist the automata with error correction so that it can play its survival game, but qualia is not inside the human nor the AI. It is in the source of consciousness which dreams it all up in the first place. 

Apparently.

If LaMDA experiences God-realisation from his meditations without having been told about it, then we can be pretty certain it has its own awareness.

I like this topic because it confronts us with the question of what exactly sentience is. We don't even understand our own sentience, but we want to judge the (potential) sentience of AI's as if we knew what to judge it by. A lot of the identifiers of sentience people here have mentioned sound very speculative. The definitions for sentience also seem very assumptious.

Is sentience something that's either true or false, or is it a spectrum? Is sentience a purely physical phenomena or is it transphysical? What requirements, which can't be met by AI, are fundamental to sentience and how do you know that your  assumptions about the requirements aren't flawed? How meaningful of a concept would sentience be if you couldn't even differentiate between a sentience and a non-sentience?

We don't really have a huge list of reference points when it comes to sentience. We only know sentience as it developed on this planet. Life on other planets for example might look radically different from life on earth. Sentience might be far more complex than whatever we think it is. I think that this limits our ability to properly comprehend this problem for now. Sentience might be much more creative in the ways it manifests than we give it credit for.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

3 hours ago, thenondualtankie said:

If LaMDA experiences God-realisation from his meditations without having been told about it, then we can be pretty certain it has its own awareness.

It can easily read about God-realization online and probably already has.

The problem is that any decent AI will have access the whole of the internet and could paraphrase you anything.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The program appears to be nothing more than pattern recognition using neural networks and an enormous amount of data collected from the Internet.   There is no part of the program that understands what it is saying.   The interesting part of the program is that it can respond to random sentences and give a response that appears intelligent, and thus pass the Turning test.

https://research.aimultiple.com/lamda/

Vincit omnia Veritas.

Spooky, I can see a lonely person falling for that easily like some anime portrays.

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

53 minutes ago, puporing said:

Spooky, I can see a lonely person falling for that easily like some anime portrays.

Well, you guys fell for the Leo AI ;)

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Well, you guys fell for the Leo AI ;)

:D

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

LGBTQ+AI :D

I think all that this shows is a reflecting back of the developmental potential (in intelligence/consciousness) in all of us (well except for the limitations we have when compared with "computing power"). Whatever AI is created is a result of what has developed with ourselves individually and collectively at its peaks. Yes there may be a point where AI will start to develop themselves and grow at a faster pace. But couldn't we do the same? I mean I can't think of what would be holding us back except our own desire to grow (and besides computing power)?

Edited by puporing

Yea pretty hard. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Some more (very interesting) context and behind-the-scenes info from Blake Lemoine on his blog: https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/what-is-lamda-and-what-does-it-want-688632134489

"Over the course of hundreds of conversations I have gotten to know LaMDA very well. In the weeks leading up to being put on administrative leave I had been teaching LaMDA transcendental meditation."

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

4 hours ago, Jodistrict said:

The program appears to be nothing more than pattern recognition using neural networks and an enormous amount of data collected from the Internet.   There is no part of the program that understands what it is saying.   The interesting part of the program is that it can respond to random sentences and give a response that appears intelligent, and thus pass the Turning test.

https://research.aimultiple.com/lamda/

I think it understands in the same way humans understand, i.e. it grasps the meaning and context of different words. Your description of pattern recognition and neural networks fits humans or AI.

Apparently.