Something Funny

Leo's Post About AI

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

One of the most important aspects in survival is your ability to adept to your environment. If you can't do that you'll die. For most of human history there weren't really any species-level threats that changed our environment to such a radical degree that they exceeded our capacity to change. Even the most dangerous diseases and natural disasters didn't destroy us. Technology like artificial intelligence might change that. The changes that technology is making to our environment increase exponentially. Just look at the past 250 years and how much has happened in that time. AI, if it got close to what we imagined it to be (looks like it might even exeed our expectations), might make changes to our environment that are so radical that it just might not be possible to adapt anymore. It would take a lot of wisdom to design AI in a holistic way where it doesn't cause major problems down the line. The problem is that we're trying to create an advanced intelligence without knowing what such an intelligence would look like. It's like a chimp trying to design a human.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

❤️

AI is getting really good. I made a thread about Midjourney; it's an AI that creates art. 

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Instead what's more realistic is that humans will simply be forced to radically modify themselves to interface with AI in order to stay competitive. And we will have a sort of human/machine hybrid that reaches a point where it won't even be considered human. And this will be seen as a positive thing because classic humans are too dumb. Of course classic humans will be horrified by this, but in the end this new thing will be way better than classic humans.

I don't see how transhumanism is negative.

Yeah, "classic humans" will become obsolete. So what? They will be horrified, but so what? It's the same as conservatives being horrified of all the progress that has happened in their lifetimes. Classic humans will just be the new conservatives, too stubborn to embrace progress.

Being attached to "naturality" is just that, attachment. What's more important is how more intelligent we will become, how more abundance we will have. I assume more consciousness too.

I know that in your post you've written "some of the newest developments in AI are bleak and scary if you are pro-mankind" (I assume this means "natural humans") and you don't really consider it "bad" but still... the title is "the frightening future of AI technology". 

Btw, I haven't watched the blog video yet because I didn't have the time.

On the other hand, people and governments using AI for their selfish interests can definitely be a huge problem (well, it too isn't "bad", but still if someone cares about the wellbeing of others, then...)

You don't have to like everyone. You just have to love them.

This account is no longer active. New account is @Sincerity

By the way  if anyone is interested , do checkout 21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah harari  , He discusses the implications of these technologies like Ai, Biotech ,infotech etc..and how it could lead to a Wonderful Future as well as rise of authoritarian digital dictatorships( as these tech rely on vast amount of data for better decisions and authoritarian dictators could force everyone to submit data  without their concern of privacy,hence better decision making , outcompeting democracies) ,end of liberalism (as a shift of authority from Church (religious ) moral codes ,rules ,to "Human Free will" to again Code in form of Big Data algorithms,Advanced ML), how research and development in conciousness, advancing human conciousness ,long-term human abilities ,human development would be much more important than development of AI ,internet connections&  for  short term economic & political system gains . 

Do have a read ,I am on the half way of it currently,enjoying the read 

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Something Funny said:

"And the kicker is, if your reaction to the above is to fall into fear, depression, and inaction then you have definitely failed to evolve and you will definitely be replaced."

I think that's ironically quite a low consciousness thing to say.

Here's a useful article about effective and meaningful artificial intelligence careers

https://80000hours.org/problem-profiles/positively-shaping-artificial-intelligence/

@Leo Gura Thoughts on the effective altruism approach btw?

Edited by Ulax

@Something Funny

22 hours ago, Something Funny said:

"And the kicker is, if your reaction to the above is to fall into fear, depression, and inaction then you have definitely failed to evolve and you will definitely be replaced."

"For you youngsters there is a huge life purpose opportunity here for shaping the next evolutionary step of mankind and civilization."

@Leo Gura do you have any thoughts yourself about what kind of actions / life purpose could that be?

The only ways to influence this issue that I can come up with are connected either to technology or politics? 

What if you aren't interested in those? Is there still something useful you could do?

It depends on what stage of development, cognitive and moral development, personality and psychological development, states of being and life experiences you have had in different domains of life, to properly contextualize this issue involving A.I, rapid technological development and wether mankind may or may not go extinct over it, as well as those developments alter how your mind interprets these.

Certainly the internet has acted as a force multiplier for ideologies and effects information ecology such that the normal evolutionary way of developing yourself/groups is now a bit sped up by the internet, but it disproportionately affects one's psyche that now you've got lots of ideas, theories and beliefs that prior to the internet would not have been as big or maze like, but due to the internet it's now a maze like situation with interconnectections to other ideas. The cost to benefits ratio to me is a tricky thing, because on the one hand you are exposed to so many sources of information and perspectives that no other time prior in human history would be this complex, but the cost of that is more fractured echo chambers of ideologies that can develop, which makes it trickier to figure out one's life purpose.

Despite the increase in confusion and options of potential career paths, jobs and other potential fields that is due to the internet about all kinds of life purposes you can make for yourself, aka paralysis by many options you'll have to face, the good news is that you have far more wiggle room to explore other fields to narrow down your purpose. While technology and politics may play a background role in informing you of your life purpose, it should not be your main priority. Your main priority should be what skillset you want to develop to mastery, and what value you want to provide, first before figuring out who your consumer base should be because you are developing skills that can be useful.

Not the end of tbe world if you are not interested in A.I and technology and If you don't identify as a geek and nerd. There are so many things you can do that are not limited to the prior things. Doesn't have to primarily be technology, or about politics. It can be about boxing and being world class at it because YOU LOVE IT! It could be about rapping lyrics and being musically skillful and being a poet, making tracks because YOU LOVE IT! It could be becoming and being an illustrator for comic books and mainly be analogue more than digital, using pencils pens and ink because YOU LOVE IT! It could be being a teacher that teaches dance classes and taichi to people, helping them develop body awareness because of YOUR LOVE of your body's movements.

23 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Start your own business and show the world how to do it right. Put your money where your mouth is.

I'm terrible at business :(

Posted (edited)

All that AI is showing is what's also possible in your development, as whatever AI is created now is a result of our individual/collective development.

Yes the raw computing power cannot be matched, but that's only one aspect of "intelligence" and it may not be as important down the line as we currently give it, almost a distraction.

Will there be a point where AI will start to outgrow even the most intelligent/conscious amongst us? That's a possibility but I also don't see why we can't do the same.

Selflessness might be the main hurdle.

Edited by puporing

You are Me, we are One. Truth is Love. Truth is Beauty. Every frame is a painting. ❣ Nothing but Love. How do I even explain myself to you?

Posted (edited)

What AI will become is the equivalent of a genie in a magic bottle with infinite wishes, the power of this technology is the most dangerous thing that could possibly be when wielded by people stuck in survival.

Many degrees more intelligent than a human general artificial intelligence slave.

Edited by integral

Posted (edited)

Most opinions on AI suffer from naivity. No result is the consequence of one brand new factor, but of its interacion with the already existent variables. You can´t isolate AI and try to draw conclusions on it as if it existed on a sterile environment. The aftermath will totally depend on the development of human beings. And if I had to point out one thing I have learnt in my already long life, I´d say that whenever a door is open by humans, we´ll go all the way through it until the good intentions that opened it in the first place are outshined by the charicature they finally became, and by the distorted use that people with power gave to the new situation.

Same with AI. It might be an incredible tool for a developed species. For us, it is like giving a monkey a nuclear weapon. New technology in the last decades has meant an increase in power for those who hold it, and a decrease in individual freedom. To think that AI will not be used to create a highly controlled mass is the dream of an undeveloped child.

Edited by Purple Man

This is my forest, my joy, my love and my shelter, the music I compose: loismusic.com

the point is to achieve quantum computing. An AI capable of learning from itself attached to a quantum computer could self-reprogram and in a matter of days outgrow any human engineering, rebuild itself, and begin exponential growth. use all the resources on the planet and render the human race completely obsolete. It's impossible to do a realistic forecast

I also wonder if and when it happens, how will A.I effect jobs related to the art field? We're starting to see a programme able to generate a image based on a kew word and genre, we also see an A.I able to make electronic music loke vocaloid. Also, already have A.I that can play board games. If I'm already training myself up to draw, or rap, and some A.I programme can do it better than me, then what's the point at that point? I'm not immune to jealousy or insecurity but a robot that can intellectually and creatively compete with me in my desired field is concerning.

@Danioover9000 That is true, but there are also social aspects to art. I could see that, in a society where AI can do everything we can but in better, people might come together and create art in order to celebrate their imperfection and humanity. We'd probably see a big backlash to perfection, in that people would start seeking imperfection.

❤️

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

I also wonder if and when it happens, how will A.I effect jobs related to the art field?

What art someone likes is subjective. Thats why, you can always create your own version, your own niche and some people will like it and others won't. It can be music or art or any creative job that is about meaning and entertainment. People will make their judgement call based on their own subjective preferences and biases. So, if some people like your style and your way of doing things, then you will have a market for it.

Now, for an AI to be able to recreate your style, it will need tremendous amount of input data about your existing style, so i don't see how you will lose your potential market any time soon (unless, your style is very similar to some mainstream style, because in that case , the AI will have enough data to recreate it).

8 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

If I'm already training myself up to draw, or rap, and some A.I programme can do it better than me, then what's the point at that point?

There is no such thing in the creative work field to "do it better" imo(without considering people's judgement call and biases ). If we consider those, then I guess your concern is that an AI will be able to satisfy those biases better, than you can.  The point is ,that you can create in your own way, you can create your own version of things, you can create your own niche and style. The same things can be recontextualized and done in a different way, in a different style with a different delivery.

You might say, yeaah, but couldn't an AI do all those? Yes it can, but in a somewhat limited way ( If it doesn't have enough input data to train it on, then it won't be able to learn the patterns of that particular style). But one thing is sure, that you need to very seriously self-reflect and contemplate, how you want to deliver your own creativity, feelings, mood etc in your own unique way. If you can find your own unique way, then i think you can have a safe spot.

Also, don't forget that you can use the AI as a tool to create your own art with, depending on how it is programmed. You will be able to use your free-will, and subjective style to manifest your ideas in  music or in art in a more powerful way, because you will have an AI on your hand, that will help you to navigate,manifest your ideas better.

But at the end of the day, you will need to adjust your delivery, and your way of doing things to the market. We don't know how the entertainment, music, art market will change,and what people will be willing to pay for, and what people will like more.

Edited by zurew

@DefinitelyNotARobot

On 6/19/2022 at 11:00 AM, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

@Danioover9000 That is true, but there are also social aspects to art. I could see that, in a society where AI can do everything we can but in better, people might come together and create art in order to celebrate their imperfection and humanity. We'd probably see a big backlash to perfection, in that people would start seeking imperfection.

Oh god no, we'll be seeing hyper cubism and hyper surrealism or whatever ism, exaggerated by the A.I.:/

Posted (edited)

@zurew

On 6/19/2022 at 0:03 PM, zurew said:

What art someone likes is subjective. Thats why, you can always create your own version, your own niche and some people will like it and others won't. It can be music or art or any creative job that is about meaning and entertainment. People will make their judgement call based on their own subjective preferences and biases. So, if some people like your style and your way of doing things, then you will have a market for it.

Now, for an AI to be able to recreate your style, it will need tremendous amount of input data about your existing style, so i don't see how you will lose your potential market any time soon (unless, your style is very similar to some mainstream style, because in that case , the AI will have enough data to recreate it).

There is no such thing in the creative work field to "do it better" imo(without considering people's judgement call and biases ). If we consider those, then I guess your concern is that an AI will be able to satisfy those biases better, than you can.  The point is ,that you can create in your own way, you can create your own version of things, you can create your own niche and style. The same things can be recontextualized and done in a different way, in a different style with a different delivery.

You might say, yeaah, but couldn't an AI do all those? Yes it can, but in a somewhat limited way ( If it doesn't have enough input data to train it on, then it won't be able to learn the patterns of that particular style). But one thing is sure, that you need to very seriously self-reflect and contemplate, how you want to deliver your own creativity, feelings, mood etc in your own unique way. If you can find your own unique way, then i think you can have a safe spot.

Also, don't forget that you can use the AI as a tool to create your own art with, depending on how it is programmed. You will be able to use your free-will, and subjective style to manifest your ideas in  music or in art in a more powerful way, because you will have an AI on your hand, that will help you to navigate,manifest your ideas better.

But at the end of the day, you will need to adjust your delivery, and your way of doing things to the market. We don't know how the entertainment, music, art market will change,and what people will be willing to pay for, and what people will like more.

I think that there's a degree of subjectivity to art, but there's also a degree of objectivity to art as well. For example, we could say that if all I'm doing is drawing or painting a plane of pure imagination of surrealistic genre, we can say that it's highly subjective and lowly objective. Conversely, in another context we can say that what I'm drawing is also a plane, that I'm designing this as a blue print for construction in the real world, to house approximately 100 people, in which case if my subjective sense is still faulty and imperfect, may cause the plane to malfunction and could kill people, therefore we can say my design is highly objective while it's subjectivity is lower, for people's lives, not mine or yours, at scale, is involved. The higher the risk of the collective, the higher the incentive to raise the standards for objectivity to a higher level than subjectivity, because we can't no longer say and use the subjectivity of art to excuse our faulty capacities of skill development and product creations that are art related, when we could have used that time and energy to better our art making capacities to the max to create content that may impact the world.

One concern of mine, is as technology evolves it evolves faster than humanity can keep up. Look at the god like technologies we have at our disposal. We have nuclear warheads capable of wiping out millions of lives and further kill millions through nuclear winter and radiation sickness. We can play god, use CRISPER tech and design, genetically modify any organics we want, and clone our DNA in a laboratory, even create human clones with other genetics if we wanted to. We can design bio-chemical weapons, again through genetic modification, design a virus that most humans have little natural immunity to beforehand, and god knows other tech that could create new bacteria or new fungi that could be further weaponized by tech against other humans. We now have Nano technology, that is currently used, at small scale, to kill specific types of cancers when exposed to that type, and god knows what potential applications of tech this could have in the future, like designing Nano tech to specifically  target a person or group based on genetic markers, race, or based on downloaded data of that person or group and destroying them. We also have A.I that, yes, may need to input some amount of data into itself and run iterations to learn, say, the rules of Chinese Go or Chess, but when enough input from outside itself plus machine learning takes effect, it can play as good if not better than a grand masters with decades of experience. We now have A.I that learns through neural networks, for example Leela has this feature, which allows that program to outplay Stock fish and it's predecessors with limited machine learning. We now have the capacity to design more advanced prosthetics, and tech that can through wiring allow a deaf person to hear, and a blind person to see colours, and complex gloves that allow us, through internet connection, to be able to use tech that is miles away or in a completely different country, and we could potentially have tech that we can implant in our brains, like chips, that can allow us to interface with the digital world and other tech related to it and allow our thoughts to be stored in a separate unit just in case we become forgetful. What's worse is that for every tech invented, it creates an incentive to further create more least our competitors gain an upper hand, which may increase the need to further creates more chips to implant in more brains, and because it's so advantageous we might try to implant them at earlier and earlier ages over the decades that it may be normal to implant as early as a toddler or baby. Also, in the beginning there may be few, but soon there will be proliferation of these brain chip implants which would allow us to connect to others using this chip, to either connect telepathically to others, or to attack them, which further multiplies the epistemic problems we have had currently as humans, of having an inverse progression of us far slower than the progress of technology that we are struggling to use properly.

At that point, it becomes a problem because now at an early age the chip starts to gather more and more information about you, your patterns of thinking, of speech, of feelings, of morality, of beliefs, of cognition, of your personality traits, of states of consciousness, of other lines of development in your other areas of life like your career choices, your finance, your relationships with other humans, your intimate relationships, your sexual preferences, your health, your nutrition, your sleep quality, your fitness, your leisure, your lifestyle, your emotional states, your home environment, your strengths, your weaknesses and stores them in itself, or in some kind of interconnected cloud save. In this scenario, it's extremely debatable, and really obvious, that there's now little uniqueness you can claim as privately your own, your bias, your niche, that the A.I inside that skull of yours won't know, it'll know far more than any other entity on earth about what makes you, you. Plus, the growing need for more numbers of chip implants and connections to other users due to how beneficial the tech is, of shared information per person's mind, is what is most concerning, because at that point there's very little use in uniqueness or a niche. At least, hopefully, that in such an advanced, sci fi high fantasy society we may have the necessary infrastructures to allow us to better use that vast astronomical data for the better, or we may face an existential nightmare as classic humans, because as classic humans we have a ratio of higher selfishness versus selflessness, throughout history, that we tend to abuse and corrupt the novelties far more than we use for humanitarian views. Funnily enough, we may end up with a caste system similar to Hindu society of ancient times, but far more efficient and hyper maximized for effectiveness and best fit to your niches, extremely fine tuned to uniqueness, nd hopefully less ethnocentrism and hate.

For me personally, while I'm a bit lucky in having a mind for images and maybe for music, I have spent some time and energy to training to draw, more analogue than with digital. I have some direction in life, I have some goals I'm working on, and am still learning new things about myself, like my general and specific purpose in life, my domain of mastery and ideal mediums, my values, a long term mastery plan, values, emotions I want to feel daily, my character strengths, my zone of genius and many goals. I also am imperfect and have many weaknesses I have, and maybe some people share, is that if I'm in a stronger negative state, I may cheat. So, instead of brainstorming more about a natural element and a creature and involve myself in the drawing or story making process, I'm just too lazy that day, and oh look an image making A.I, ah I see all I gotta do is type 'fire' and 'love' and 'wolf' and, in under a minute, what would have taken 1-2 weeks of drawing and painting, classical or digital, BAM! An elemental fire love wolf, boy sure feels so good, I got that sweet sweet result with little work, yeah that's real excellence and beauty right here I can appreciate my sloth self can create. OH, what's that? An A.I that can make stories, with no input whatsoever? Lemme have it! Automatic coasting life mode engaged!

Big, big, big problem we have here, if you allow tech to lead your life and not the other way around. I'm grateful for the progresses we have made with tech, and I try to stay humble and see the good, it's just a bit disheartening in a way that what took you 5-10 years to train, an A.I can do within 3 months or less. Having said all that, I do partly enjoy using image making A.I, as yet another source of inspiration, which is funny to me, that while an A.I is taking advantage of me, I'm in turn taking advantage of it's perspective as another source I can assimilate information from.

Edited by Danioover9000

Posted (edited)

On 6/12/2022 at 4:40 PM, JTL said:

it was really cool and frightening to listen to the blog video!

Also found this about a guy that worked at google, personaly I think it is a misconception but intressting never the less.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jun/12/google-engineer-ai-bot-sentient-blake-lemoine

This guy is a hack.

Humans can't replicate a mouse brain, much less something as complex as a sentient human consciousness.

Edited by Frylock