Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheOneReborn

Can conciousness work be physically painful?

5 posts in this topic

Through meditation, yoga, and psychedelics we get a stronger and stronger feeling of Truth. What about when that truth is the truth of the chronic pain or tension you've been carrying in your body? How do you deal with that pain? 

I did some shrooms on a hike yesterday (just a macrodose) and I eventually started to feel a very subtle but sharp pain all across my mid-upper back, at the same time memories of grief and my ex girlfriend raced through my mind. That pain lasted for a few hours but it made it a little painful to breathe, but in a good way. I got the sense like "oh I've been running away from the truth of this pain (and it was actual physical pain) for years" and it felt good to cleanse that pain through my awareness. If I had to frame it in terms of chakras, my heart Chakra opened and there was a lot of pain to deal with there. 

Does anyone else relate to this? Am I the only one for whom conciousness works is sometimes physical painful? 

Edited by TheOneReborn

Yes, many of us carry around emotional trauma which is stored in the body. As we become more aware of this through increased states of consciousness we can also use things like yoga or Qigong to start to purge and undo these things in the body. This is how and why I do and teach Qigong….

1. Breathwork

2. stretching 

3. Self massage

4. energy work

also, get massages, chiro, acupuncture etc

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art “Emotional trauma is stored in the body.” Is healing necessarily painful? Every time I do healing work, old memories will come out, especially when I pay attention to somewhere strange body sensations of mine. The memories that were almost impossible to recall came back and make me cry the same as 10 years ago. Every air and atmosphere, the body reacts as if in that 'same moment'. Can the painful memory be dug, discovered with a smile and comfort?

Edited by ZGROPIUS

@ZGROPIUS hmm, it depends on the work. Some healing work can be painful.

When I teach a Qigong class it’s healing through pleasure for the most part.

What you are saying is what I experience as well. Really, healing is a complicated thing. Healing can feel very pleasurable, neutral and very painful. There’s a wide spectrum of feelings. 

Parts of our brain/mind are timeless nature and we still have pain from when we were 15 years old etc… even old personality patterns lodged in us. 

As a Qigong teacher I teach people to smile into the body as well. Which I use more and more and as you get better at it it gets more powerful. 

Be open to the full spectrum of emotions if you are serious about healing I think. There is a good book called the ‘Tao of feeling fully’. 
Great book about developing emotional intelligence around the difficult emotions. 

When we are doing healing work from traumatic memories, or transference work that can be very painful. 

This is why I think Qigong is important as a keystone habit because it helps you develop a daily dose of: 

1. energy

2. relaxation

3. joy

4. resilience 

5. groundedness/ centeredness 

The work I do with others is mainly healing through pleasure. 

What healing work are you doing? 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art Thank you So Much!!!!!!!!!! I'll remind myself to open up to wider spectrum of emotions. "Timeless nature" are ticks so well. I haven't considered this yet. This upgrades my perspective on "memories". Less despair, more initiative. :PThank you for the book recommendation.

Right now I'm meditating, cultivating dreams and a little bit of Wujizhuang. But it's more about psychoanalysis, these thinking level things. Trying to use vocabulary to label repressed intentions, feelings, thoughts to understand oneself better and the phenomena they encounter.

It's more psychoanalysis, it's a bias with fear. Because it can effectively change my thinking and understanding. Most of my trauma is caused by language, verbal violence, and relationships with elders, I feel more secure relying on analysis. Things like meditation are more abstract and inexplicable. (but I do love, respect, and value the insights it brings) But unless I understand them with words and fit them into the belief system. I feel that I can't maintain the results of meditation. This feeling is a little insecure. I want to move into and explore the martial art fields. But this fear tied me up that I can not move. 

Do you know how to deal with this, or may I know what's your thought on this phenomena?