Matthew85

The trap of thinking the ego mind is the totality of God

100 posts in this topic

I recently attended an event on enlightenment. It became evident to me that one of the speakers who claimed to be awakened had fallen into the trap of thinking their ego mind was all that existed. While in a sense when our ego personality makes the statement I am God, this is a true statement, because everything is God. But to think that the ego mind is the totality of God and everything in reality is only a projection held in the ego mind feels distorted and incomplete to me. For those of you who have awakened deep enough to realize you are God, I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you!

Isn't the whole concept that the ego/finite self doesn't even exist?

8 minutes ago, Godishere said:

@Godishere There seems to be a lot of confusion around the topic of ego/self. I guess it depends on how you are defining self. You can't extinguish the self as your awareness. Even at the level of God the awareness that is you is still present. 

Edited by Matthew85

While you are the creator, relatively speaking, the totality of God cannot be understood by the finite mind. When liberation happens, the mind is totally disoriented, because it can’t grasp beyond itself.

The so-called mind keeps thinking a next moment will come, and continues to believe that one will, even though it never happens. It ensnared you into thinking that the life that just seemed to be lived was yours — like offering the apple to Eve. All the while there’s a constant invitation to see that there’s nowhere else — this is the infinite. But it doesn’t happen in one fell swoop — it’s more like you get backed into a corner that you prayed yourself into but as soon as you pass the point of no return, you’re on a ride, and your one job is to authentically not resist anything.

44 minutes ago, The0Self said:

While you are the creator, relatively speaking, the totality of God cannot be understood by the finite mind. When liberation happens, the mind is totally disoriented, because it can’t grasp beyond itself.

@The0Self Well said.

To me, it's the answer that makes the most sense. Anyway, why would the speakers be holding an event if no one's there to receive the message? Maybe they meant to say something else. 

For me though, multiple perspectives raise the question of how is linear time happening throughout everything, everywhere, all at once?

Since there is no linear time, how is Jesus getting crucified at every single moment NOW? Imagine you, Matthew, are a time traveler, and Jesus is, well Jesus. So Jesus already got crucified hundreds of years ago, the event already took place, and he's long gone now. Now let's say you time travel to an hour before that happened, and you see the act play out. What happened to the Jesus who already lived that moment? Is every single moment on an infinite loop? And therefore making everything possible? Are there literally an infinite number of Jesus' happening in the timeline we know them from and infinitely many others, right now?

@Matthew85 Its the ego which thinks there are real traps.

But this entire egoic construct is completely unreal including all of its beliefs and identification games of being this or that.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

4 hours ago, Godishere said:

This is not a concept, this is actually true.

Ego is an illusion. What remains is God in all of its totality.

@Michael Jackson yeah but the Ego's claim on "I am God" kind of dismisses the fact that you are God and every other finite mind is also God. I could be wrong, I don't know jack shit really. 

@Michael Jackson @VeganAwake When you pass by a wild flower in the forest, does that flower scream and shout: "I am a flower"?
Does that flower say: "I am not a flower, there never was a flower to begin with"?

The flower simply Is what It Is. With or without having to say what it is and what it is not.

No need to get caught in saying that you are God, and no need to get stuck in having to deny what you Ultimately are, and go in to this void of there was never anyone to begin with. Because there is no beginning, or end, there is what Is. It's a Paradox. It's just raw magic. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Don't get stuck on either side here. Find the Balance and go the middle way.

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

40 minutes ago, Michael Jackson said:

Illusion and Reality are the same. If all there is, is infinity, then all separation is illusion. As a result the denial of the ego as unreal or illusion is itself a limit. The ego is both real, and unreal. One of the things you come to realize is that Life and Death are the same, and Illusion and Reality are the Same. So the Ego is real, it is also unreal. Its all perspective. If the Ego was truly an illusion, once you saw it for the illusion it was its effects could not influence you. Within your direct experience this is not the case. Without an Ego, you cannot even have a finite experience. All an ego or self is, is awareness that feels finite. Essentially the ego does not feel the interconnectedness that is its being. By focusing on its being through meditation or raising awareness it can feel its infinite nature and drop its limited experience. 

But unless you can maintain that state consistently what is called Samadhi you will go back to a feeling of separateness. So its both illusion or real depending on your perspective. This is what it means when there are relative truths and absolute truth. In the Absolute Truth the ego is illusionary, but on the relative truth level the ego is definitely real. Without an ego, you could not experience the feeling of finitude. 

This is why in all my posts I keep likening reality to a mirror. It is all about perspective. 

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

That's what happens when God takes awakening personally xD

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

I've fallen into this trap many times.  

It's like a part of psychosis. 

???????

6 hours ago, Matthew85 said:

I recently attended an event on enlightenment. It became evident to me that one of the speakers who claimed to be awakened had fallen into the trap of thinking their ego mind was all that existed. While in a sense when our ego personality makes the statement I am God, this is a true statement, because everything is God. But to think that the ego mind is the totality of God and everything in reality is only a projection held in the ego mind feels distorted and incomplete to me. For those of you who have awakened deep enough to realize you are God, I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you!

Who is god? Ultimately noone is god but there can be identification to thought-feeling patterns that claim that it is god. These patterns tend to fall away but can be held as true for quite some time.

the ego are limits, and they are real. It is as if you put limits on a river, for example, then remove them, and say: they were not real, they were an illusion. yes, but when they were there they worked very well as limits. the limited self has some characteristics, since these psychological barriers that exist to promote survival are real. the limited self can realize that it is a trap for itself, since its survival tools work against it when survival is guaranteed. and also realizes that his search for happiness, for love, will never be realized. is the carrot in front of the donkey. when he realizes that his nature is deception, the promise of something that will never happen, he tries to dissolve himself. it is a difficult matter since the act of trying makes it there. but through understanding and some chemical aids he manages to relax to a certain extent, or almost totally, and realize the limitless nature of reality, of himself. since the ego is reality in the end, only parceled out, limited. and realizing that there are no limits, it is obvious that it is all that there is, was and will be, all is the same, and that when you mix all the colors, the one that remains is pure love, which translates into creative passion: god

3 hours ago, Godishere said:

every other finite mind is also God.

When you truly awaken there won't be any other minds.

You are not yet conscious that you are imagining them.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 hours ago, Vincent S said:

Does that flower say: "I am not a flower, there never was a flower to begin with"?

The flower simply Is what It Is. With or without having to say what it is and what it is not.

No need to get caught in saying that you are God, and no need to get stuck in having to deny what you Ultimately are

@Vincent SS a flower deeply knows that it is a flower.

In the same way the moment of your awakening you will deeply know what you truly are, which is God himself.

You won't necessarily say it. But to guide people into full awakening it's important for then to know what they are and to explicitly say it.

Its not enough to just go neo-advaita on people and tell them that there is no self. No self is less then 1% of awakening. The rest is realizing what you are, which is God, Intelligence, Consciousness, Love, Infinity.

Edited by Michael Jackson

3 minutes ago, Michael Jackson said:

But to guide people into full awakening it's important for then to know what they are and to explicitly say it. Its not enough to just go neo-advaita on them and tell them that there is no self. No self is less then 1% of awakening. The rest is realizing what you are, which is God, Intelligence, Consciousness, Love, Infinity.

Beautiful. Of course it is so. But to lead an ego mind in to either trap (ego thinking it is God, or ego thinking that there never was anything) can cause a lot of unwarranted suffering, new illusions and set people off to the deep end. Psyche of a human is very very fragile.

I know you mean well with your posts. And kinda have to meet where people are, and reflect back to them what and where they are stuck at, but sometimes we make more harm than good by telling them they are God. Yes they are, but not in the way they "think".

What I was trying to say in my previous post was: Don't fall in to the trap of believing you are God in the sense that you "think" you are God. Likewise, of not falling in to the neo-advaita trap and denying everything that is and calling it: "There are only seeming things happening. I don't exist." But who Is saying then that this "I" don't exist?
People can take that and be completely disillusioned with everything they do, and they become this detached zombie in the world, going in to their thoughts and thinking that they don't exist. Which won't lead them to awaken in to their true Nature.

@Michael Jackson Please don't see this as me pointing this whole thing at you. I'm not. I'm pointing to the reader and the writer ;)

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

7 hours ago, Michael Jackson said:

@Michael Jackson What is your definition of illusion? What do you call the awareness that is you and always present?

My deepest awakenings felt closer to all self than no self. 

6 hours ago, Razard86 said:

All an ego or self is, is awareness that feels finite.

I like this. To me ego feels like a lens or filter that limits or contracts our expansiveness.