abundance

Jan. 6 Committee Public Hearings Thread - 2nd Hearings to occur on 6/13 @ 10 a.m. ET

45 posts in this topic

Day 1:

Day 2: Placeholder

Edited by abundance

Watching now, can't wait for justice to be served over the next few weeks.

I went into it skeptical but I watched the whole thing and I'm glad I did. A lot of that new footage really recontextualizes Jan 6th for me and my mind is changed. It's not just the boomers peacefully strolling into the Capitol any more like I had always seen it presented previously.

I don't know why they waited 1.5 years to release the additional footage, it seems like over a year of extra unnecessary right vs left hatred.

All of the video depositions from former white house staff are gonna really be the nail in the coffin. Trump is not gonna be able to run in 2024 after this.

The frustrating thing for me this morning is trying to get other right wingers to actually watch it. They just keep making up crap about Jan 6th or repeating the same old lines without having actually watched the hearing. I almost fell into this trap myself and nearly commented here last night before actually watching it.

One nitpicky thing... I wish they wouldn't refer to Proud Boys as white supremacists. Their chairman Enrique Tarrio is black, as clearly shown during the hearing. I think labels are important, and using incorrect ones slightly delegitimizes the message. If you wanna call them far-right that's fair. There are real white supremacist groups on the right but Proud Boys ain't one of them.

Of course, Fox News didn't cover it. Fucking scum of the earth.

Tragically, Given that Fox News is the most popular cable news channel in the US and the rise of many other right-wing echo chambers out there that millions upon millions of other folks have been trapped in for years, I am worried that these public hearings won't even be disseminated to at least half of the people in America. Besides, virtually every conservative in America won't want to watch or acknowledge these public hearings.

Also, I am not sure that a majority of swing and independent voters, who generally lean to the right, will seeing or realizing how dangerous the right-wing has gotten even if they watched these hearings. For some odd reason, most of these voters have in recent months been favoring the Republican Party more than Democratic Party even after everything abominable thing that Trump, his cronies, the right-wing terrorists, and so many other deranged Republicans have all already done over the past few years.

Hopefully I am wrong. 

Edited by Hardkill

I know it's weird when people do the wrong thing, over and over again, get away with it, are super super obvious about it, and are supported irregardless.  I don't think this is just a trait Americans have, I think it's a blindspot that you can find in nearly every part of society/community.

Shame it's not being covered by Fox News, but that's to be expected.  The deranged are often supported, loved and even sympathized with at the expense of the average, decent person.  It's totally asinine.

5 hours ago, Yarco said:

Trump is not gonna be able to run in 2024 after this.

Oh yeah? Watch him. He has no shame.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

53 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't know how I'll be able to reconcile that hahaha.

Before seeing this hearing I would've given it an 80 - 90% chance that Trump runs again, barring any health concerns.

But the fact that this was only Part 1 of 6 of damning evidence against him!?! If a majority of Republicans can really see all of this and still go "yeah, this is the best guy to put forward for our party", it's going to obliterate my entire worldview.

You guys weren't being hyperbolic about Trump being a literal criminal and just lying to further the agenda of your own party. What the actual fuck. I was so focused on all the other conspiracies that I missed the giant actual one being pulled right in front of me.

I am worried that these public hearings won't even be disseminated to at least half of the people in America. Besides, virtually every conservative in America won't want to watch or acknowledge these public hearings.

Agree completely. Even worse, they're going to listen to right wing pundits spin it and tell them lies about what was in the hearing, instead of watching it for themselves.

At first I thought it was corruption that they were having the hearing during primetime instead of the day, it seemed weird. But yeah, this actually needs to be seen and heard by all Americans.

Also right wingers don't even understand the nature of the hearing. Most I've heard from think this is a televised court trial of January 6th trespassers a la Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard. It confused me to see that it was a committee of politicians.

Edited by Yarco

1 minute ago, Yarco said:

I don't know how I'll be able to reconcile that hahaha.

Before seeing this hearing I would've given it an 80 - 90% chance that Trump runs again, barring any health concerns.

But the fact that this was only Part 1 of 6 of damning evidence against him!?! If a majority of Republicans can really see all of this and still go "yeah, this is the best guy to put forward for our party", it's going to obliterate my entire worldview.

You guys weren't being hyperbolic about Trump being a literal criminal. What the actual fuck.

I think that most Republican voters either still won't believe that Trump was behind it all and instead will keep believing the right-wing conspiracy theories that say that the insurrectionists were all Antifa or some other kind of extreme left wing organization.

Even if most Republicans voters do end up finally believing that Trump was totally responsible for this, they may still may rationalize it in their minds as being justifiable because it was all for the greater good of the country and the GOP.

3 hours ago, Hardkill said:

For some odd reason, most of these voters have in recent months been favoring the Republican Party more than Democratic Party.

Inflation. Afghanistan exit. Shutting down pipelines and having fuel prices 3X what they were in 2020. Election results in 2020. I’m sure there are others to pick from.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

DeSantis has been gaining popularity. Think Trump would even have a shot if it keeps going that way another year or so?

1 hour ago, hoodrow trillson said:

If he loses TWICE, Trump will probably off himself IMHO.

Going by popular vote, he already did lose twice.

1 hour ago, Yarco said:

You guys weren't being hyperbolic about Trump being a literal criminal and just lying to further the agenda of your own party. What the actual fuck. I was so focused on all the other conspiracies that I missed the giant actual one being pulled right in front of me.

You're way behind the curve on this.

This Congressional hearing didn't release anything new, really. All the videos of Jan 6th showed how ugly and serious it was. You just aren't watching the right news sources.

Trump has a very good chance of winning 2024 if he is allowed to run, thanks to the bad economy, inflation, gas prices, and a totally ignorant citizenry. Even someone like Elon Musk is biased and dumb enough to vote Republican in our current epistemic climate.

It was obvious that Trump was a malignant narcissist, white collar criminal, and con-artist back in 2015. And it was obvious that he would try to take the whole ship down with him if he was going down himself. And that's exactly what happened, and will happen again if he is allowed power.

1 hour ago, Hardkill said:

I think that most Republican voters either still won't believe that Trump was behind it all and instead will keep believing the right-wing conspiracy theories that say that the insurrectionists were all Antifa or some other kind of extreme left wing organization.

Even if most Republicans voters do end up finally believing that Trump was totally responsible for this, they may still may rationalize it in their minds as being justifiable because it was all for the greater good of the country and the GOP.

So what? What does it matter what Republicans think? Alot of people loved serial killer Ted Bundy. He was charismatic and charming. He said he was innocent, and all the people that loved him believed him and fought for his freedom. But the law is for justice, regardless of how people feel about it. They still arrested Bundy and fried him for his crimes. Trump is overwhelmingly guilty and deserves to pay for his crimes, regardless of who doesn't like it. They can protest and whine and cry all they want, just justice and the law needs to be done regardless. 

7 hours ago, Yarco said:

I don't know why they waited 1.5 years to release the additional footage, it seems like over a year of extra unnecessary right vs left hatred.

Violent footage was released 1.5 years ago. You just weren't looking nor interested in it.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

You're way behind the curve on this.

This Congressional hearing didn't release anything new, really. All the videos of Jan 6th showed how ugly and serious it was. You just aren't watching the right news sources.

Trump has a very good chance of winning 2024 if he is allowed to run, thanks to the bad economy, inflation, gas prices, and a totally ignorant citizenry. Even someone like Elon Musk is biased and dumb enough to vote Republican in our current epistemic climate.

It was obvious that Trump was a malignant narcissist, white collar criminal, and con-artist back in 2015. And it was obvious that he would try to take the whole ship down with him if he was going down himself. And that's exactly what happened, and will happen again if he is allowed power.

Economy is still very strong with a very tight labor market, but yeah inflation has been hurting democrats politically.

But you did say before that enough people are now aware of Trump's con:

On 1/9/2021 at 3:27 AM, Leo Gura said:

Different situation because Trump was already President for 4 years and everyone saw how disastrous he is. He's not gonna get a second chance. His only chance was to take America by surprise. There's no more surprise. He's a known variable. The con is up.

You also said before that: 

On 1/8/2021 at 0:22 PM, Leo Gura said:

My guess is, once Trump is kicked out, sued, and publically shamed -- Trumpism will die out rather quickly and be replaced with some new brand of right-wing movement.

Trumpism will look so ugly soon that it will need to be re-branded. But of course the fundamental ideology will still remain the same. Right-wing populism and its delusions are not going away soon.

Think of the Tea Party in the Obama days. They basically rebranded themselves as MAGA.

You even told me before when I got worried about Trump being able to run again that:

On 2/13/2021 at 4:20 PM, Leo Gura said:

Let me him run and lose again. His con won't work twice. Biden is doing a decent job and most people will see that.

Edited by Hardkill

1 hour ago, Hardkill said:

Economy is still very strong with a very tight labor market, but yeah inflation has been hurting democrats politically.

Economic outlook is bad right now.

But you did say before that enough people are now aware of Trump's con:

That was before we had a bad economic outlook, inflation, gas prices, and supply shortages.

You even told me before when I got worried about Trump being able to run again that:

Things have changed. Trump has a serious chance of winning now.

I also overestimated how Republicans would distance themselves from Trump. Instead they have doubled down on MAGA nonsense. They are completely ethically and intellectually bankrupt. The only thing that they will listen to is raw power and strict law enforcement. They have no shame nor standards any more. If they are legally allowed to steal an election they will do it without qualms.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Economic outlook is bad right now.

That was before we had a bad economic outlook, inflation, gas prices, and supply shortages.

Things have changed. Trump has a serious chance of winning now.

I also overestimated how Republicans would distance themselves from Trump. Instead they have doubled down on MAGA nonsense. They are completely ethically and intellectually bankrupt. The only thing that they will listen to is raw power and strict law enforcement.

This is absolutely crazy and frightening!

It is looking bad now, but there have been varying opinions from many top economists. Some are saying that inflation will eventually come down by next year with a severe recession, some are saying that it will go back down to normal with a mild recession, and some others are saying that inflation may come down by some soft landing.

I thought that polls were also showing that Trump has been losing a lot of steam from the GOP. 

After everything that has happened with the Republican Party since the 70s including the Nixon Watergate scandal and his resignation, the scandal and resignation of his first VP Spiro Agnew, the disastrous presidency of Bush jr. and the 20008 financial having been on the Republican Party's watch, and all of the devilry that Trump caused, having been banned from all social media platforms, and how much he damaged his own reputation and that of the entire GOP....I mean, if the majority of the electorate won't ever care about any of that, then does that mean our country could be electorally doomed for the next 2-3 decades?

Could this also mean that we can even count on the younger generation of Republicans to replace the older generation Republicans as more evolved voters?

Should progressives just totally give up on their crusade for a progressive era and the entire Democratic Party instead needs to actually shift even further to the right like the Clintonian Democrats did with the whole party in the 90s in order to compete with the GOP in the future?

Or are we going to need some kind of nationwide movement like the civil right movements that succeeded in the past in order to stop the terrorism of MAGA and the GOP and save our democracy and avoid the disastrous consequences of climate change?

Or do we need to let the GOP cause such untold suffering and profound horrors in our society for 20-50 years with their abominable fascist policies in order to make enough poor saps in America finally realize how dangerous and monstrous the Republican Party has become?

Or can we only pray that the Democrats get a strong presidential candidate in the future like Bill Clinton, if not one who has historic levels of charisma like Obama despite the chances of that ever happening are probably very slim? 

Edited by Hardkill

Republicans and their trickle down economics aren’t going to fix things, but yea inflation is definitely a problem, money could always lose its value at the drop of dime couldn’t it that’s the scary thing about it.

Y'all should move to Canada. :x 

Well it's not perfect but I appreciate many things here in comparison...

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

1 hour ago, puporing said:

Y'all should move to Canada. :x 

Well it's not perfect but I appreciate many things here in comparison...

I am seriously considering it. Though I don’t know how possible that would be for me.