DefinitelyNotARobot

Models of Learning?

25 posts in this topic

I've been trying to build some meta skills lately. Currently I'm interested in learning about learning. I was wondering if there are any interesting models/systems for learning more efficiently. I asked Google, but most of what I found was rather shallow. I'm looking for something more holistic. Anybody here got any models worth sharing?

beep boop

You should check out the: Your WIsh is Your Command Series on Youtube. The first 6 episodes I think were pretty much about learning. He presents some interesting concepts for learning: the teachability index and 4 steps of processing information, which are quite interesting. 

Also there is a big Course on Coursera called: Learning how to learn. I didnt do it yet, but I wanted to in the future.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:00 PM, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

I've been trying to build some meta skills lately. Currently I'm interested in learning about learning. I was wondering if there are any interesting models/systems for learning more efficiently. I asked Google, but most of what I found was rather shallow. I'm looking for something more holistic. Anybody here got any models worth sharing?

This is such a can of worms that you can spend the rest of your life trying to learn how to learn that in the end you won't have learned anything lol

There are probably hundreds of different learning models of the human mind from psychology, neuroscience, cognitive science and even computer science

You should not spend too much time on this unless this is actually what you're most interested in. 

It's really only worthwhile to learn something that interests you and that you really care about and then just completely immerse yourself in it. There is no need for any formal method really. All you need is passion.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Read David Hume, Spinoza - good source on knowledge about knowledge 

Read OSHO's view on creativity 

Best way to learn how to learn: Learn something and learn how to learn by learning. 

On 23/06/2022 at 9:58 AM, Nilsi said:

There is no need for any formal method really. All you need is passion.

Disagree, might as well leverage both.

I agree however desire/interest is most powerful factor ... nevertheless there's certainly different ways to learn and many factors which would be foolish to ignore.

You can also be passionate and mediocre, if only life was so simple that all you needed was desire.  

But as u pointed out rightly don't get stuck in a paralysis analysis trap of constantly looking for the perfect method & never starting anything.

... So in awareness of this trap I'd advise ballancing finding right method with just learning it anyway, but looking for tweakks as you go & analysing your learning or studying the method of your learning intermittently in your breaks ect..

Edited by Optimized Life

29 minutes ago, Optimized Life said:

Disagree, might as well leverage both.

I agree however desire/interest is most powerful factor ... nevertheless there's certainly different ways to learn and many factors which would be foolish to ignore.

You can also be passionate and mediocre, if only life was so simple that all you needed was desire.  

But as u pointed out rightly don't get stuck in a paralysis analysis trap of constantly looking for the perfect method & never starting anything.

... So in awareness of this trap I'd advise ballancing finding right method with just learning it anyway, but looking for tweakks as you go & analysing your learning or studying the method of your learning intermittently in your breaks ect..

I guess a reasonable framework would be to learn the rules before you break em but dont get lost in going meta all the time.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

I'm just interested in the systems behind learning. I don't want a perfect model that will show me how to learn like a master. I just want to expand my mind on the different ways learning can be approached, which is something models are great for in my opinion.

beep boop

Learning about learning is not an acquisition of anything, instead it is the surfacing of platonic forms that were always necessary for everything you ever "acquired" previously.

It is to dive deep into a realm of that without which the world could not be as it already appears, it is intelligence itself and the anticipation of what may be possible by this meta-cognition, concrete imagination.

Learning is not a matter of remembering and combining, but in all temporal states something new and fresh, for this reason it would easily be a poor investment to read the musings of other people to expect as a result that by which such readings could initially take form, if you really want to learn "how to learn" you must endeavor in total self-sufficient thought, as I have named the "walk of the mind" for much like a child still crabbing around are people everywhere still in that state at 30 what regards their intellect, smart or otherwise.

To get up on both legs is essential, I would choose staring the horror in the face, that of not even walking.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

9 hours ago, Reciprocality said:

Learning is not a matter of remembering and combining, but in all temporal states something new and fresh, for this reason it would easily be a poor investment to read the musings of other people to expect as a result that by which such readings could initially take form, if you really want to learn "how to learn" you must endeavor in total self-sufficient thought, as I have named the "walk of the mind" for much like a child still crabbing around are people everywhere still in that state at 30 what regards their intellect, smart or otherwise.

Maybe that's true. Personally I believe that there is some value in inspecting perspectives different from yours in order to better understand a thing. Again I don't want to learn HOW to learn. I want to learn more about the different perspectives people have on learning so that I can maybe expand my mind a little and generate a few new insights.

beep boop

@Mulky  Wait I actually know that dude on the right. He used to do piano tutorials on YouTube. Interesting how that's what he does now. Thanks for the video.

beep boop

@DefinitelyNotARobot

Ya that was also one of my main go to channels for learning piano, he is a very good all around teacher.   I'm finding him to also be a very good teacher when it comes to this topic of meta learning.  Turns out he is a very deep person and I think he would appeal to a lot of people on this forum.

On 29.6.2022 at 3:07 PM, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Maybe that's true. Personally I believe that there is some value in inspecting perspectives different from yours in order to better understand a thing. Again I don't want to learn HOW to learn. I want to learn more about the different perspectives people have on learning so that I can maybe expand my mind a little and generate a few new insights.

@DefinitelyNotARobot Perspectives as you correctly imply are very different from the purity in understanding, for this is what all perspectives are made of whether cohesively or not.

I get that you want to gather many perspectives on how to learn efficiently so that you may find the gold nuggets here and there, this is a sensible approach in the sense that it is precisely such an approach that may bring some success out of a tenfold possible ones that would bring very little, but I must maintain that so far as effective learning is concerned in the very general (the one you are after) nothing can progress you further than an analysis of the very condition itself for learning, something the very opposite of what your approach may lead to very fast, hoarding information. 

Another way to say it is that there are only so many platonic forms, you can reach them either by looking directly for them in the very foundation of your being or by fussy accident in gathering a bunch of perspectives (though admittedly less accidental in the particular kinds of perspectives you look for), either way it will be in those forms and those only that you can possibly get 'ahead' in effective learning, for as mentioned it is precisely in those the many possible subjects you wish to learn are coded either in itself from the get go (a) or as it ultimately relates to your understanding of it when it is learned (b).     It is this latter category (b) which seems the most speculative as an assertion, but where the biggest benefits may be reaped, for under the conditions of multiperspectivism there are learned many such forms that remains subconscious but which my approach would help surface into the conscious.

Schematicism and classification is to the latter what a priori abstract objects, logic, geometry etc. are to the former, I sense that what you are insisting on is being efficient at remembering the very things you have already understood, if not then again, the conditions for your very perception of the world around you is not association on top of association, induction, or itself empirical, but instead the very ideas you have about it at their most distinct, for me it became easier and faster to learn new things when I could say "i did not quite get it but at least it has to conform to this and this rule and not be  conjoined in the negation of this and this", I assume you and most people to not be too different.

Edited by Reciprocality

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

Probs look into educational/ education theory

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

scott young has a ton of stuff on metalearning 

has some courses on it too. he also incorporates a couple of the stuff that were mentioned on here

Edited by Jacob Morres

Don't overthink this shit so much. Learn for 90 minutes and rest for 30 and do that until you have learned what you want to learn. Everything more elaborate than this is just a waste of your time.

On 09/06/2022 at 8:00 AM, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Watch "Justin Sung" on youtube he is BRILLIANT so good, focused on academic but general too. Two main models of memory and multi-store-memory-model and the working-memory-model.