Ima Freeman

Absolute Reality and the unconscious

13 posts in this topic

Recently I saw a video of Leo (forgot the title) in which he said, that the phenomena that are witnessed are absolute reality.

If that is true, what about the idea of the unconscious? There is the idea, that something is there in reality that is hidden from consciousness.

The unconscious is only a function of the ego. Even the "unconscious" is absolute reality, because it is not really unconscious; it is only unconscious relative to the ego which does not want to know about it. The most basic function of the ego is to deny the consciousness of absolute reality.

He who bathes in the light of Oeaohoo will never be deceived by the veil of Mâyâ. 

Helena Blavatsky, The Secret Doctrine

18 minutes ago, Oeaohoo said:

The unconscious is only a function of the ego. Even the "unconscious" is absolute reality, because it is not really unconscious; it is only unconscious relative to the ego which does not want to know about it. The most basic function of the ego is to deny the consciousness of absolute reality.

I kinda grasp what you're writing, yet I'm not sure

Does that mean, that the unconscious reveals itself when the ego ceases?

4 minutes ago, Ima Freeman said:

Does that mean, that the unconscious reveals itself when the ego ceases?

Yes.

However, the subconscious and the superconscious are both unconscious to the ego. The "unconscious" in modern parlance tends to refer to that which psychoanalysts like Freud, Adler and Jung were obsessed with but this is generally only the subconscious and not the superconscious.

Some examples: one day you might realise that you hate swimming because when you were young you almost drowned: this would be a revealing of the subconscious. One day you might realise that you dreamed up your whole existence: this would be the superconscious revealing itself.

He who bathes in the light of Oeaohoo will never be deceived by the veil of Mâyâ. 

Mysticism and depth psychology generally uses different definitions of consciousness: phenomenal consciousness, which is transpersonal, vs. self-consciousness (metacognition), which is personal.

Phenomenal or transpersonal consciousness is absolute reality. The unconscious is the non-metacognitive or inarticulated parts of one's personal mind. It's the forces and influences on the personal mind that the personal self (ego) is not able to talk about.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Oeaohoo Thank you for your answer.

The unconscious is a concept of psychology as @Carl-Richard pointed out.
But I read recently that in eastern thought the same or a similar concept existed.

What I originally ment was Leo's teaching of reality.
So the unconscious is only real when it is thought of, when the thought ceases it no longer is consciousness an therefore not real anymore.

The unconscious is a distinction that refers to an aspect of mind the isn't cognized, but affects your reality. In other words, there are parts to your psyche that you are not aware of. 

Consciousness is everything (including appearances/perception) and nothing. So it is the "phenomena that is witnessed" and not the phenomena at same time.

When you read these words, you aren't creating this on the conscious level, you are creating this on the subconscious level. When you go out and come across a person, you have not created all the details of that person on the conscious level, but you do have created it on the subconscious level. Or when you see a tree or a cat or a blue WV Passat etc, you have not created, imagined, it on the conscious level, but you do have created it on the subconscious level. And that is the sign of how you are creating, imagining, for you are the One, the creator, imaginer, of all. 

Edited by Vibroverse

29 minutes ago, Ima Freeman said:

What I originally meant was Leo's teaching of reality.

I understand this. I don't know the exact video but Leo will often say that Absolute Reality must contain everything within itself (otherwise it wouldn't be absolute). Given this, everything that exists (whether it is unconscious, conscious or superconscious) must be included within Absolute Reality. Therefore, all the phenomena that are witnessed - even if they are presently only witnessed "unconsciously" from the point of view of the ego - are part of Absolute Reality.

32 minutes ago, Ima Freeman said:

The unconscious is a concept of psychology, but I read recently that in eastern thought the same or a similar concept existed.

There are similar concepts in Eastern thought: the pātāla are the subterranean realms of the universe in Hindu cosmology, and the Diyu and Naraka of Chinese and Buddhist cosmology respectively could easily be aligned with Western models. Psychoanalysis is essentially a lop-sided secular cosmology, however, and so many Easterners were very critical of it:

Psychoanalysts look from down up and explain the higher lights by the lower obscurities; but the foundation of these things is above and not below... The superconscious, not the subconscious, is the true foundation of things. The significance of the lotus is not to be found by analyzing the secrets of the mud from which it grows here; its secret is to be found in the heavenly archetype of the lotus that blooms for ever in the Light above... you must know the whole before you can know the part and the highest before you can truly understand the lowest.

- Sri Aurobindo.

I very much agree with this analysis. OSHO has an excellent lecture in which he outlines the levels of consciousness from the Eastern perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFBV3RopGRI.

Think of it more as a sort of substance (even though it's not) that all things are made of. Then you will understand.

Knowing that it's unknown....

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

You are dreaming up an unconscious.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The unconscious is absolute reality. Absolute reality became unconscious the moment you were born. It's the psyche that blocks out absolute reality and makes it unconscious. Spiritual practice is about directing the conscious awareness of the psyche back to the unconscious out of which it emerged. 

"Human consciousness develops out of the primal matter of the unconscious. Its growth is nourished by a continuing stream of contents from the unconscious that rises gradually to the level of consciousness, seeking to form a more complete, conscious person. The incorporation of unconscious materials must continue until, finally, the conscious mind reflects the wholeness of the total self." - Robert A. Johnson

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins