Raze

Stage orange vs green workplace conflict: Washington Post reporter suspended

30 posts in this topic

The Washington Post is an American daily newspaper published in Washington, D.C. It is the most-widely circulated newspaper within the Washington metropolitan area and has a large international audience.

David Weigel is a journalist for the Washington Post, and retweeted a post saying “Every girl is bi. You just have to figure out if it’s polar or sexual.”

Another journalist for the Washington Post, Felicia Sonmez, called him out here, suggesting such retweets should not be allowed:

David deleted the tweet and posted an apology.

Another reporter, Jose A. Del Real replied to her saying while what David posted was wrong, this was targeted harassment, and they got into an argument, he eventually blocked her and temporarily privated his account after backlash.

The Washington Post decided to suspend David for one month without pay 

Felicia has also been asking for the Washington Post to take action against Jose for accusing her of bullying.

Although in 2020 David defended Felicia when she was suspended for tweets accusing Kobe Bryant of being a rapist when he died, and Felicia said she considered David a friend, she still said it was necessary to call him out publicly for sexism.

Other reporters have been sending messages of support, like here:

https://imgur.com/a/s7dbbGI

My analysis: This is an example of stage blue-orange vs stage green conflict in the work place. The stage blue-orange perspective would see the joke as unserious by itself, and also assume jokes posted or retweeted outside of the workplace wouldn’t have much bearing on the persons job. The stage green perspective considers the joke inappropriate because it looks at the larger context of sexism and ableism it is making fun of. The stage green perspective also leans towards a holistic view of both work and life (this is where concepts such as bring your whole self to work come from), which is why she stated such jokes should not be allowed to be posted, even if it’s in his free time, without the workplace taking action.

The fact that the Washington post outlet and journalists sided with Felicia and punished David for the retweet is an example of how they are transitioning further from stage orange to strange green, it’s likely they wouldn’t have responded this way if this happened years ago.

It’s important to keep in mind the biggest effect this will have would be other journalists and people in media being more careful about what they say or do online, to avoid this happening to them.

What is your opinion? Is my analysis off? Do you think this should have been handled differently?

Edited by Raze

@Raze The wisest person was the one who called out the girl for trying to publicly humiliate and bully the original tweeter.

She could have handles it internally and expressed why its wrong etc, but instead she opted for a public execution and attack of the guy.

We reap what we soe. Give it a few months this woman will get consumed by her own tactics.

Surprised he only caught a 1 month suspension, he must do good work and earn them a lot of money! Too good to let go, so he just gets a slap on the wrist.

Almost like if you're a semi-public figure, you shouldn't just be posting stream of consciousness shit on Twitter under your real name xD You have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

I don't think you have to bring spiral dynamics into it, this probably would've happened even in a solid orange workplace within the past decade just from having both genders involved.

I've heard crazy stories about the late 70s / early 80s in the workplace from near-retirement female coworkers, like routinely getting slapped on the ass by other male workers or your boss and it was just the norm, you just take it. That's what stage blue is, not insensitive tweets.

The dude who called her out is prob closest to my stance

I think she was right to call out the joke tweet, I can see why she would think it’s sexist. Joke tweets like that are fine on meme accounts etc. but they don’t really have a place on a serious journalists’ account

However I think she overreacted, and it sounds like she has a habit of going after peoples livelihood as her primary weapon, which IMO is definitely bullying

I also very much dislike how she responds to the fairly level headed dude who calls her out

He makes valid, level headed points and she decides he’s trying to attack her, which is really over-dramatic

@Raze

The original tweet was inappropriate and cringy from my perspective. Perhaps the response went too far, but overall it was good to be called out.

Retweets are not meant to be endorsements. You can retweet something that you completely don't agree with.

She is just over reacting.

But as you said in a Green society these kind of over reactions are to be expected. It's like a kid that is crying too loud that you have to cater to it's stupid demands.

They will likely categorise every random thing as sexist/racist/misogynist/bigotry based on feelings alone.

This behaviour of scrutinizing every little thing is problematic by itself. It will mean that even serious and legitimate stuff will be censored simply because it gives the wrong vibes.

I don't agree with the original tweet. But I don't care if someone posts them, they have all right to do so. 

If you are going to put stupid statements like that into a message and send it to thousands of people that often have no connection to you, you have to accept you are going to trigger emotions and responses. They may be having a bad day, had bad experiences which would trigger that, they don't know you well enough to know you are joking, or what your intent was, etc. Its not like you are sitting at home with friends or at a bar, joking around with people that know you well.

He's working for a newspaper that's entire business and image are created through words, and he's just cost the paper some money. So his boss suspended him for being dumb.

Outside of that it's all he said she said identity politics. Yes she's obviously had an emotional response to this, maybe some guy treated her like dirt and this has brought up some emotion related to it, we don't know. That's the point on internet platforms, you are reaching many eyes in so many different walks of life and states of mind, you have to expect all kinds of responses and consider what you type in public roles. It just so happened it was someone he worked with, and perhaps for all we know has a history with, responded which made the situation more difficult for him.

As to what I thought, it was a stupid joke and bipolar disorder or sexuality is not a fun thing to joke about, neither needs to be in comedy to make yourselves feel good.

@BlueOak

3 hours ago, BlueOak said:

If you are going to put stupid statements like that into a message and send it to thousands of people that often have no connection to you, you have to accept you are going to trigger emotions and responses. They may be having a bad day, had bad experiences which would trigger that, they don't know you well enough to know you are joking, or what your intent was, etc. Its not like you are sitting at home with friends or at a bar, joking around with people that know you well.

He's working for a newspaper that's entire business and image are created through words, and he's just cost the paper some money. So his boss suspended him for being dumb.

Outside of that it's all he said she said identity politics. Yes she's obviously had an emotional response to this, maybe some guy treated her like dirt and this has brought up some emotion related to it, we don't know. That's the point on internet platforms, you are reaching many eyes in so many different walks of life and states of mind, you have to expect all kinds of responses and consider what you type in public roles. It just so happened it was someone he worked with, and perhaps for all we know has a history with, responded which made the situation more difficult for him.

As to what I thought, it was a stupid joke and bipolar disorder or sexuality is not a fun thing to joke about, neither needs to be in comedy to make yourselves feel good.

Sometimes dark humour and self deprecating is necessary, in case such a person is going through hell. But I agree keep it private until you're surrounded witb people who know you well enough you are jocking, but even at that tone the dark humour.

Most people like lattes and cappuccinos cuz it's capped at a land level, but hate Americanos, and Expressos cuz they Express excess of dark and sarcasm such they can't bridge that chasm.

Tangent Over.

Edited by Danioover9000

It's so weird, why you gotta deliver the deathblow like this. Just confront them in person unless you have good reason not to.

22 hours ago, Raze said:

The Washington Post is an American daily newspaper published in Washington, D.C. It is the most-widely circulated newspaper within the Washington metropolitan area and has a large international audience.

David Weigel is a journalist for the Washington Post, and retweeted a post saying “Every girl is bi. You just have to figure out if it’s polar or sexual.”

Another journalist for the Washington Post, Felicia Sonmez, called him out here, suggesting such retweets should not be allowed:

Another reporter, Jose A. Del Real replied to her saying while what David posted was wrong, this was targeted harassment, and they got into an argument, he eventually blocked her and temporarily privated his account after backlash.

Felicia has also been asking for the Washington Post to take action against Jose for accusing her of bullying.

Although in 2020 David defended Felicia when she was suspended for tweets accusing Kobe Bryant of being a rapist when he died, and Felicia said she considered David a friend, she still said it was necessary to call him out publicly for sexism.

My analysis: This is an example of stage blue-orange vs stage green conflict in the work place. The stage blue-orange perspective would see the joke as unserious by itself, and also assume jokes posted or retweeted outside of the workplace wouldn’t have much bearing on the persons job. The stage green perspective considers the joke inappropriate because it looks at the larger context of sexism and ableism it is making fun of. The stage green perspective also leans towards a holistic view of both work and life (this is where concepts such as bring your whole self to work come from), which is why she stated such jokes should not be allowed to be posted, even if it’s in his free time, without the workplace taking action.

The fact that the Washington post outlet and journalists sided with Felicia and punished David for the retweet is an example of how they are transitioning further from stage orange to strange green, it’s likely they wouldn’t have responded this way if this happened years ago.

It’s important to keep in mind the biggest effect this will have would be other journalists and people in media being more careful about what they say or do online, to avoid this happening to them.

What is your opinion? Is my analysis off? Do you think this should have been handled differently?

I actually see a lot of what people claim is stage green as stage blue. Its full of moralism, where Stage green is supposed to be love of all things, at least to my understanding. So, I'd say its stage blue v blue/ orange here. 

I don't see radical feminism as being stage green but instead as stage blue phenomena. Its v similar to how spirituality gets co-opted by religion, at least the stage green aspects of spirituality. 

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

12 minutes ago, Ulax said:
22 hours ago, Raze said:

I actually see a lot of what people claim is stage green as stage blue. Its full of moralism, where Stage green is supposed to be love of all things, at least to my understanding. So, I'd say its stage blue v blue/ orange here. 

I don't see radical feminism as being stage green but instead as stage blue phenomena. Its v similar to how spirituality gets co-opted by religion, at least the stage green aspects of spirituality. 

@Ulax Don't you think quoting the entire first post is a little much? xD

Edited by CultivateLove

UPDATE:

Another reporter, Lisa Rein tweeted at Felicia Sonmez asking her to stop

Another reporter, Holden Saige Foreman, replied saying he looked through all who liked her tweet and noted all the Washington post journalists who liked her tweet were male.

Sally Buzbee, executive editor for the post, sent a memo asking reporters to be collegial with each other. Another reporter, Breanna Muir, replied saying calling out sexism is not being non-collegial and asking for action to be taken towards Lisa Rein

@Raze

28 minutes ago, Raze said:

UPDATE:

Another reporter, Holden Saige Foreman, replied saying he looked through all who liked her tweet and noted all the Washington post journalists who liked her tweet were male.

Sally Buzbee, executive editor for the post, sent a memo asking reporters to be collegial with each other. Another reporter, Breanna Muir, replied saying calling out sexism is not being non-collegial and asking for action to be taken towards Lisa Rein

Why do I feel that, at any moment, Elon Musk's step in to the drama?

@Dryas

5 hours ago, Dryas said:

It's so weird, why you gotta deliver the deathblow like this. Just confront them in person unless you have good reason not to.

That's a good question. This is like bullying behaviour, soft bullying by using the mob or something like that. They should've sorted this out internally first.

However, that guy should have not shit posted under a real profile and work user id, if he really wanted to say such edgy stuff. Should have known better.

13 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

So, is Twitter a good or bad place to be in?

Always two identities being used to argue over. Whether it's collective or individual. It's human nature to seek the division out and give it meaning. After the meaning is found out, the quicker it reintegrates into normality the better.

We have our two sides, so we can have our battle and people can take a stand. That's what's important to some, the argument itself, or winning or losing. Feeling good that they got to speak their minds, or connect to others that think like them. People can recycle something as long as there is any friction there. It does a fraction of the damage cable TV does, while allowing communities to form connections more easily.

It still has the inherent problem(s) like

He/she who speaks loudest gets seen the most.
Things stay up or around longer than they should, because it's a wider audience than it naturally would be, someone is always available for comment.
Manipulation is easy to an audience of thousands, you get so much feedback that it just takes one idea to run with from the feedback.
Text words are flat, they have no context or emotion, you are usually replying to half the story or a stranger thousands of miles away, with a history or community you know nothing about.
Mob mentality happens in collective communication like this.

That's just off the top of my head. I don't use it because I don't have a business or group identity I belong to, and I think personal communication is better in person. But I also cannot name many places where social orientated discussion or change happens so *shrug*, in that respect, it's a necessity.

3 hours ago, Raze said:

UPDATE:

This is so dumb

It’s actually like a bunch of children arguing he said she said

IMO her motives are definitely not entirely pure. It’s not clout chasing, and I’m sure she cares deeply about women’s rights, but she definitely enjoys the drama of socially policing her colleagues on twitter and using her power to go after their jobs

@BlueOak

2 hours ago, BlueOak said:

Always two identities being used to argue over. Whether it's collective or individual. It's human nature to seek the division out and give it meaning. After the meaning is found out, the quicker it reintegrates into normality the better.

We have our two sides, so we can have our battle and people can take a stand. That's what's important to some, the argument itself, or winning or losing. Feeling good that they got to speak their minds, or connect to others that think like them. People can recycle something as long as there is any friction there. It does a fraction of the damage cable TV does, while allowing communities to form connections more easily.

It still has the inherent problem(s) like

He/she who speaks loudest gets seen the most.
Things stay up or around longer than they should, because it's a wider audience than it naturally would be, someone is always available for comment.
Manipulation is easy to an audience of thousands, you get so much feedback that it just takes one idea to run with from the feedback.
Text words are flat, they have no context or emotion, you are usually replying to half the story or a stranger thousands of miles away, with a history or community you know nothing about.
Mob mentality happens in collective communication like this.

That's just off the top of my head. I don't use it because I don't have a business or group identity I belong to, and I think personal communication is better in person. But I also cannot name many places where social orientated discussion or change happens so *shrug*, in that respect, it's a necessity.

I recently joined twitter, and am hoping I could have made something out of it with my indie business, but oh well, I might as well try elsewhere. Drama shit like this ain't what I want to be about, with the life purpose I want to have.

@something_else

9 minutes ago, something_else said:

This is so dumb

It’s actually like a bunch of children arguing he said she said

IMO her motives are definitely not entirely pure. It’s not clout chasing, and I’m sure she cares deeply about women’s rights, but she definitely enjoys the drama of socially policing her colleagues on twitter and using her power to go after their jobs

It all started because he made public what he shouldn't have made public. I don't know enough him or the woman or the others, but to me it's a given to rethink what I'd say in public. Doesn't he know, in his head, that what he'd say might've backfired on him??? Unless he wanted drama, but that's just stupid to me.