kray

How to get over fear of lighting and thunder

8 posts in this topic

Currently a massive midnight thunderstorm going on in my area. How can I get past the fear of loud crackling thunder and unexpected lightning while I am trying to get a good night sleep? I literally start shaking when thunderstorms hit, especially in the middle of night. 

Research lightning and learn how it works to better understand it. Maybe your fear is misconceptions about how it works? Learn what happens when lightning hits a house, I'm pretty sure homes are grounded and it'll go through the outer structure or any kind of metal or cable on the outside of a building, even if you don't have a lightning rod on your roof. A bolt of lightning can't just go through your roof and hit you in bed. Even just being in a car during a thunderstorm is very safe, I've known people whose car got hit by lightning while they were in it... toasted the car and melted the rubber in their tires but they were untouched.

Not trying to be condescending by comparing you dogs, but there are some things that help for dogs that are scared of thunder/fireworks that might work for humans. "Thunder jackets" that applies gentle pressure to them... you could try a weighted blanket and see if it has a similar effect on you. CBD might help. Or just try going to a lower level in the house like a basement if you've got one.

Exposure and habituation.

Do it in a safe manner please, don't actually expose yourself to risk of being hit by lightning.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:19 AM, Yarco said:

A bolt of lightning can't just go through your roof and hit you in bed.

A TV antenna mounted inside an attic must meet the same grounding requirements as an antenna mounted above the roof in case of a direct strike.

I love lightning illuminating the sky because it's beautiful, and I love extraordinarily loud thunder because it's sublime. The sublimity especially allows connection with nature, so perhaps you could emphasize more positive possibilities or aspects of it.

Maybe it's some childhood experiences there're hiding, or it's some other Fear is projecting.  Many people don't fear Lighting and thunder. and this fear can be created.

Okay so dude this is weird but my work involves dogs and behavioral therapy. The way a dog is trained to deal with this, is with special recordings of thunder, fireworks, w.e. else is the target, right? And it is first played at a super quiet level. When the dog doesn't react, he is rewarded. The volume is gradually increased over time. The dog learns to associate the sound with rewards and good stuff.

Maybe buy some recordings and do something similar...

I like the storms because when you're indoors and hear the awful weather outside while you're tucked up and warm in bed, it feels really cozy.

Try viewing it as energy from the source.

W4Udky0.png

All along the Western front
People line up to receive
She got the power in her hand
To shock you like you won't believe
Saw her in the Amazon
With the voltage running through her skin
Standing there with nothing on
She gonna teach me how to swim

shutterstock-40870840.jpg

I said, "ooh, girl
Shock me like an electric eel