Max8

any tips to overcome anxiety ?

15 posts in this topic

i have GAD im super bad at socializing and stressed out by little things 
any effective tips ? give it your best shot dont just throw at me something you think might be true,
im looking for something you tried or you know well to be effective,

thanks.

Zoom out of your own point of view. Take the view of God. See all the planets, stars, etc. Realize how small your problems are compared to the universe. Realize that nothing matters and it will all be okay.

When you take God’s view, you realize you aren’t alone. You can be secure in knowing that everyone is insecure. 

Start questioning your worry, and realize that no amount of worry can ever change a situation. Worry and anxiety is like a merry-go-round, you are spinning and going nowhere. 

Distancing is a psychology technique you can use to find insights into your problems. The best way is to always honor and follow your highest inspiration/desire. Do an activity that is fun and that you can engage with like walking or music. I believe Einstein had an insight into general relativity when he was out for a walk. Maybe you will have an insight too!

Edit: Find your ideal hobby/coping skill. For me that is walking, meditating, and running. Remember to always follow your highest desire and everything will be okay. Don’t confuse your highest desire with fear.

Happiness is a mindset, anxiety/depression is a mindset, and Heaven/Hell are mindsets. What is your mindset? Where did you learn your current mindset from? What is your heart’s desire?

See my other posts for more info if this doesn’t make sense.

Edited by r0ckyreed

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

Meditate. 

I’m the one who dreams. 

Few. 

• SSRIs
  • Transcendental meditation 
  • Progressive muscle relaxation 
  • Good sleep. 
  • Cut caffeine. 
  • Engaging in a hobby. 
  • Journaling 
  • Distraction 
  • ASMr videos 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Anxiety means your mind is projecting a future reality that evokes fear in you that may or may not happen.

You labeling it "anxiety" already shows that you don't fully believe that those situations you are anxious about will happen. Otherwise you would be calling it reality.

A good tool for this is to journal or sit down with your thoughts and try to describe to yourself those exact situations in as much detail as possible.

You can use images, writing, color, shape size, sounds, etc.  Your goal is to get a clear handle on what your mind is afraid of.

Then start asking yourself some questions. 

On a scale from 1-10 1 being these will never happen and 10 being they will happen for sure, where do I fall?

How true are these realities for me really?

How urgent/ important is knowing these answers to me right now?

What are some alternative ways these situations could play out that would actually feel great?

What would be my ideal scenario for each of these situations instead of how I'm imagining them and what can I do to increase the chances of those ideal scenarios occuring?

Edited by Byun Sean

3 hours ago, r0ckyreed said:

Zoom out of your own point of view. Take the view of God. See all the planets, stars, etc. Realize how small your problems are compared to the universe. Realize that nothing matters and it will all be okay.

How do you tune into this properly? Specifically in the more difficult moments.

I probably had something resembling GAD in my high school years. My way out was a spiritual awakening spurred on by meditation. I couldn't recommend anything else.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

53 minutes ago, B222 said:

How do you tune into this properly? Specifically in the more difficult moments.

The God’s view technique, or view from above as called in stoicism, is about maintaining objectivity even in the hardest moments. 

A simple fact you can realize in hard times is that you aren’t alone, and suffering is a temporary storm that will pass. 

It takes practice and it is hard to do this technique while in the moment but with practice you can. It helps me to not be so attached and helps me appreciate how big the universe is and how small my concerns are. 

i’m not sure if I understand your question, it is really natural to me. All you need is imagination. Imagination is a vital skill that needs to be developed and in survivors of trauma, imagination can become weakened/stunted according to Van Der Kolk. 

To strengthen your imagination, you need to first practice seeing things in your mind’s eye. Think back to your imagination when you were a child and work from there. Visualization is so powerful that we can either use it to empower ourselves or to make ourselves suffer. 

Edit: One skill that I’m really good at that I think is one of the most important skills to have is the ability to reframe negative events as positive. The ability to reframe is essential to live a happy life. Without reframe you were at the whims of external circumstances. 

For instance if you get fired from a job you can see that and reframe that as an opportunity to find a deeper part of yourself that you may have never found. Another is to see you’re suffering from the bigger picture perspective and that there are lessons that can be learned from our previous experiences such as toxic relationships, etc. 

Reframing is essentially a different perspective on your current dominant narrative. And in narrative therapy we have a dominant narrative which is the story that we tell ourselves. But there are alternative narratives that can contain empowering stories that we sometimes don’t tell ourselves. Alternative narratives look for the unique strengths that we have and then reframe that to our given circumstance.

Read up on narrative therapy. I have used it in my work with clients, and it works.

Edited by r0ckyreed

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

I had bad social anxiety in the past and the solution was just to spend lots of time around people against my own feelings of discomfort and not judge myself for my mistakes. Unless you have autism you will be able to become socially adept quickly and even with autism not all is lost. Find some people to talk to (at work, a club, your neighbors, school), introduce yourself, become curious about them and ask them about themselves, remember their names, show them that you like them. It will feel like you are throwing yourself to the wolves at first and it always will at least a little but you will find that it's not so bad.

As for GAD, I would say the antidote is meditation. Anxiety is pretty much exactly what meditation targets and it is no secret that your level of peace (which is promoted by meditation) is inversely proportional to your level of anxiety. It's okay if you have trouble doing it at first. Start out small, with short sessions each day. It's okay for the mind to wander you don't have to be doing it perfectly in order to get benefits.

Also, whenever I am super stressed out, I go for a run. I basically run until I am super tired, usually like 4 or 5 miles bc I'm not super in shape. Intense exercise is the one true 100% reliable stress reliever. At least for me. It's impossible to feel stressed when you are filled with endorphins and norepinephrine. Your body will also want to relax after an intense workout so that forces you to be calm.

Edited by Ninja_pig

@r0ckyreed much appreciated, need to practice visualisation and big picture thinking more. Always too focused on my own petty issues. 

On 01/06/2022 at 7:17 PM, Max8 said:

i have GAD im super bad at socializing and stressed out by little things 
any effective tips ? give it your best shot dont just throw at me something you think might be true,
im looking for something you tried or you know well to be effective,

thanks.

Be more mindful of how your ego mind is structured. I suffer on a daily basis… try to get better slowly, there’s no rush :)