Inception

What’s the most healthy & conscious job?

11 posts in this topic

Because I’m about to choose my education and I don’t want my survival to be in conflict with my health.

Physical health:

• + Activity, but not too much as to wear me down in the long-term.
  • + Nature; Clean air, sunlight etc.
  • - Toxicants.

Mental health:

• - Stress, high demands, noise pollution.
  • - Mental masturbation, concepts, symbols.
  • + Social interaction.

Spiritual health:

• + Honesty; Not having to “sell my soul”, deceive, manipulate etc.
  • + Present moment.
  • + Contact with God.

My current best candidate is gardener.

"It's all in your head"

Hard mode: Move into the middle of nowhere and subsistence farm. Sell just enough products to pay for property tax or goods you cant produce yourself, or move to the middle of the rainforest in Costa Rica. 0 carbon footprint, 100% organic food that you know the source of, daily connection with nature.

Easy mode: Urban farmer. Rent peoples backyard in exchange for 50% of the produce you grow. Watch Curtis Stone on YouTube and model yourself after that. Ride a bike with a trailer to/from your plots and farmers markets. In colder climates, grow microgreens or oyster mushrooms indoors. 

Education-wise I would steer away from horticulture courses at university and look more for permaculture. Or do an unpaid internship at a small farm for a summer.

As a gardener you dont know what your employer does for a living. Would you want to garden for a cigarette company or military company CEO and take their money? Plus you'll probably be using gas-powered tools for landscaping.

Edited by Yarco

Perhaps some form of social work could work for you.

Yeah I'm thinking about the same thing

My idea was to go to some eco village permaculture places on workaway, where you can stay and work in exchange for accomodation

On 5/30/2022 at 10:49 PM, Yarco said:

Hard mode: Move into the middle of nowhere and subsistence farm. Sell just enough products to pay for property tax or goods you cant produce yourself, or move to the middle of the rainforest in Costa Rica. 0 carbon footprint, 100% organic food that you know the source of, daily connection with nature.

I feel like the returns are diminishing.

Easy mode: Urban farmer. Rent peoples backyard in exchange for 50% of the produce you grow. Watch Curtis Stone on YouTube and model yourself after that. Ride a bike with a trailer to/from your plots and farmers markets. In colder climates, grow microgreens or oyster mushrooms indoors. 

Feel like this is basically running your own business, which I’d rather not. Im this case I’d rather work for an urban farmer and be a “wage-slave” if it means I won’t have to be constantly stressed.

Education-wise I would steer away from horticulture courses at university and look more for permaculture. Or do an unpaid internship at a small farm for a summer.

Wouldn’t that be more towards the agricultural education?

As a gardener you dont know what your employer does for a living. Would you want to garden for a cigarette company or military company CEO and take their money? Plus you'll probably be using gas-powered tools for landscaping.

Well where I live landscape gardening (doing work for private people/companies and public work) is a separate education from the main horticulture education, which is more towards greenhouses and nurseries.

"It's all in your head"

On 5/31/2022 at 9:35 PM, Snader said:

Perhaps some form of social work could work for you.

Not the first things which come to mind. But it would definitely give opportunities to help and love others.

"It's all in your head"

On 6/1/2022 at 5:32 AM, Realms of Wonder said:

Personal Bias: Independent Music Artist. 

Interesting, do you mind elaborating?

"It's all in your head"

On 6/1/2022 at 10:59 AM, bliss54 said:

Yeah I'm thinking about the same thing

My idea was to go to some eco village permaculture places on workaway, where you can stay and work in exchange for accomodation

Interesting concept, deserves some research.

"It's all in your head"