Luc1nda

I want to learn martial arts, where do I start?

29 posts in this topic

Hello Actualized.org

I'm 18 and have just realized how goddamn lazy and sloppy I am. I don't know what true and rigorous hard work feels like, I love my room and won't go out in the cold. I want to learn to be disciplined and to also get physically stronger.

I want to start learning martial arts as consistently as I can to try change this about myself.

I have always wanted to do martial arts but have never dedicated time to research into it.

Problem is, I'm not sure where to start when entering this field.

Does anyone know what types of martial arts I should look into? Or what I should be looking for in my local area for high quality teaching, or should I just go for anything around?

I'm asking as I could spend a few hours of my day researching into where to start but strategically its easier if I ask people who know more than I do.

Thank you.

Begin with Tai-Chi. 

The most tender martial art and the most basic (if we are talking about martial arts from the east).

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

I have personally been doing Martial Arts since I was 15-16, it was a lot of fun.

According to your profile, you live in the U.K. . If you live in the West, you need to be knowledgeable in; 

• Boxing, there are many types
  • Wrestling of your choice, there are also many types

MMA includes both.

You need to find a gym to teach you. Simply google maps on your phone MMA/wrestling/boxing gyms and choose the closest and cheapest one.

Edited by Husseinisdoingfine

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

If you want something very practical and effective, look for a Krav Maga dojo. It implements all of the most effective martial arts into one style.  But if you just want to go for something more mainstream, boxing and brazilian jiu jitsu are some of the best to learn if you really want to know how to throw down.  Only down side to doing that is you might have to find two different gyms.  Then of course there is an MMA gym that can teach you basically everything. 

Edited by The Lucid Dreamer

Shotokan Karate was great. It's defensive and counterattacking until blackbelt, by which time you'll be disciplined, strong, and have little fear of confrontation, or any want to initiate it. I would sum up its ethos as how to get out of trouble, and strengthen the body/mind.

I would look for a variant that still has unpadded kumite (sparring), which is part of the reason I felt confident because I was used to sparing more naturally. I had hardened wrists, legs and arms. Every week you are training to be hit, so a punch becomes nothing to fear. You'll walk a head taller after doing it for six months.

As for spiritual marital arts, I've always been told that studying the ways of a ninja (Ninjutsu) with the spiritual component is what people recommend.

Edited by BlueOak

Krav-Maga or Jeet-Kune-Do

Both are based solely on practicality and are military grade martial arts.

Expect rigorous endurance/cardio, techniques, sparring and street fight simulations.

I've only trained JKD, so I can vouch for its effectiveness.

Its also probably the best anti rape tool for girls. Clinch and ground fighting, coupled with no-rules. Meaning anything goes, balls, eyes, ears, elbows, knees.

Edited by Yog

Often Martial Arts gyms will allow you to try out one or two of their classes without paying.

My advice? try out as many as you need to, to find one that feels authentic to you.

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/

1 hour ago, BlueOak said:

Shotokan Karate was great. It's defensive and counterattacking until blackbelt, by which time you'll be disciplined, strong, and have little fear of confrontation, or any want to initiate it. I would sum up its ethos as how to get out of trouble, and strengthen the body/mind.

I would look for a variant that still has unpadded kumite (sparring), which is part of the reason I felt confident because I was used to sparing more naturally. I had hardened wrists, legs and arms. Every week you are training to be hit, so a punch becomes nothing to fear. You'll walk a head taller after doing it for six months.

As for spiritual marital arts, I've always been told that studying the ways of a ninja (Ninjutsu) with the spiritual component is what people recommend.

I got a black belt in Shotokan many years ago.   I agree with the “unpadded kumite”.     When I lived in Mexico I would work out on the bags with boxers and they would sometimes try to give me a pair of gloves, since I would hit the bags full force with my bare fists.   If you work out with gloves, your wrists become weak and you don’t learn to hit with a squared wrist.   If you train in gloves all the time, in a real fight you can break your wrist.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:41 PM, Luc1nda said:

just go for anything around?

Yes, keep it simple, easy and near you.

@Luc1nda If I was a woman I would look into Tai Chi Wing Chun, which is the only martial art that has been invented by a woman. AFAIK

Check out Master Wong he's really funny.

Edited by Arcangelo

On 5/25/2022 at 4:11 PM, Husseinisdoingfine said:

choose the closest and cheapest one.

Yes it makes all the difference.

I'm surprised there aren't any recommendations for BJJ (Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu) here.

It's got one of the best communities of all martial arts and progressing in it is super rewarding. There are girls at my BJJ gym who absolutely fuck me up, so it's something that girls can be super effective at, even against bigger dudes

It's really intellectual as well, and the injury chance is lower than striking martial arts.

If you wanna learn martial arts purely to defend yourself then you go with MMA, but if it's slightly more about self-improvement I'd recommend BJJ.

Holy crap though do not do shitty martial arts like Tai Chi or Wing Chun if you actually wanna be able to defend yourself. These are not good for that at all.

Tai Chi especially is not even designed for fighting, it's more of a spiritual thing, almost like dancing.

Edited by something_else

4 hours ago, something_else said:

Holy crap though do not do shitty martial arts like Tai Chi or Wing Chun if you actually wanna be able to defend yourself. These are not good for that at all.

LOL!

3 hours ago, Knowledge Hoarder said:

Btw, I think BJJ is kinda overrated. What if you can't get me on the ground, cause my wrestling is so good? Then you're screwed.

I would say that almost every fight I’ve ever witnessed in real life and many I’ve seen online end up in a scramble on the ground

And unless someone grabs you and won’t let go, your aim should always be to run from the fight anyway

The basic takedowns that BJJ provides should almost always suffice in that situation

If you want the absolute best chance of winning a real fight against another well trained opponent then you gotta train MMA, but frankly I don’t want to get brain damage lol

It isn’t perfect but I think if you had to pick just one martial art system to learn that would give you the best all round experience in self-defence it really has to be BJJ

It’s also just really fun. I don’t see any other martial art that I think would really stimulate the intellectual part of my brain as much

15 minutes ago, Arcangelo said:

LOL!

Here’s the same dude tearing apart tai chi and wing chun masters. On their own these are not effective martial arts. Bruce Lee also famously talked about how limited he thought Wing Chun was

Edited by something_else

Below you will find two sites you can view to see traditional Japanese Karate.  Shotokan Sensei has excellent Shotokan technique.  Jesse Enkamp trained in Okinawa. 

Vincit omnia Veritas.

In my opinion, there is not one specific style that is the best. I would say to search on google for dojos near you and find one where there is an air of seriousness and desire fore excellence. Don't join one where its like a bunch of people going to yoga class. There needs to be an element of honor and respect in the dojo. Also try to find a dojo where you can participate in sparing.

DO NOT try to get into martial arts simply by researching it on the internet. Being around others who are experienced is the only way to truly gain the benefits of practicing martial arts. You can of course gain value from knowledge on the internet, but you need to actually meet the people and not just know the techniques. Trust me, you will see.

4 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

stqyq0gvq8x61.jpg?auto=webp&s=32421b5eed

This gave me a great laugh, especially the entire left side of the graph :D

I found a slightly funnier version of the same graph.

HISQwGy.jpeg

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله