The Monk

Are Motivational Videos Bad?

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

my name is Aamir and I'm a student. Sometimes I don't feel very motivated and experience homeostasis (resistance towards doing work/ studying) therefore, i play games or watch a lot of T.V. But, even though I have a life purpose I can overcome this with motivating myself, however sometimes the motivation isn't there or just doesn't appear. So, what I did last year was use motivational videos, are these bad or should I just keep using my life purpose vision to motivate me? or Utilise both? In order to ensure that I am always motivated. 

Thanks for your suggestions.

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

Do both. Motivational videos are fucking great if they work for you. They certainly work for me bro. I watch them and they fuel new power into me, they kickstart me so I can go out and kick ass again. Use them as much as you need, but don't become addicted to watching them the whole day and doing nothing like your bro Old Soul here. You gotta take action on your dreams too.

Cheers mate

Edited by Old Soul

Here's my key; Philosophy. A freak like me just needs Infinity.

Motivation videos are just one tool out of many and they can be profound! It's the same with motivational quotes or nuggets of advice or wisdom! Motivation videos can work great as a source of inspiration! I'm focusing on applying what i've learned from those videos. 

I think motivational videos are counter produktive if you are dependent upon them for your motivation. In my personal life, I have watched a few motivational videos. Some are great, they can really uplift my state, but they are not really sustainable. The state usually fades away within a day or two and I am back to baseline. 

What I think would be a better approach is to construct a compelling vision for the future and simultaneously embrace the fact that SELF DISCIPLINE is all you really need to stay consistent.

There will be times when you won't feel like it and that is when you gotta be mentally strong enough to keep going.

Having failed to build habits really helps too because you learn more about your own tendencies and weaknesses. Those failures make you more prepared for the next time you try to make a positive change. 

There are probably good and bad motivational videos. If they truly realign you with your values or bring you to a good place of mind like my notes do to me then I see nothing wrong with it. My notes, which I often use to get my attitude straight, don't change the way I am, they just make me more free from ego's bullshit.

Motivational video gives you motivation ... to watch another motivational video)

There's nothing wrong with motivational videos, continue watching them! Just be sure that you don't confuse watching a motivational video with accomplishing things. As long as you are taking action on what you watch, motivational content is wonderful.

If it works for you , then use it .. but for me when I watch a lot of motivational videos , I get demotivated and overwhelmed :D