Judy2

How can i make intrusive thoughts stop?

43 posts in this topic

I didn't really notice i was struggling with this until recently.

When it starts, i can't focus on anything else, my body gets tense, and it takes a while until i get out of that state. It feels like the thoughts aren't mine.

What can i do to prevent this from happening or to make it go away?

I heard that there must be some suppressed emotion in the background and so the pressure builds up and manifests as excessive thoughts on a given issue, e.g. agression as thoughts that you need to be violent and hit someone even though you normally wouldn't have such ideas. I'd generally consider myself to be extremely well in touch with my emotions and have tried to find a few possible explanations for what's going on. However, being aware of this doesn't actually make it stop...and the harder you try not to think of it, the more intense it gets.

As much as you don’t wanna hear this wanting them to go away is the problem, accepting them whilst being mindful and doing what you value regardless is the solution. Just don’t react. Easier said then done though. 

Don’t read too much meaning into them either, there’s little to no meaning to them. 

Look into acceptance and commitment therapy. 

Yes i was expecting this answer...

34 minutes ago, Ry4n said:

Don’t read too much meaning into them either, there’s little to no meaning to them.

I really hope so. But then i get scared that i just don't want it to be true and therefore it's true?

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Judy2 said:

When it starts, i can't focus on anything else, my body gets tense, and it takes a while until i get out of that state. It feels like the thoughts aren't mine.

I heard that there must be some suppressed emotion in the background and so the pressure builds up and manifests as excessive thoughts on a given issue, e.g. agression as thoughts that you need to be violent and hit someone even though you normally wouldn't have such ideas. I'd generally consider myself to be extremely well in touch with my emotions and have tried to find a few possible explanations for what's going on. However, being aware of this doesn't actually make it stop...and the harder you try not to think of it, the more intense it gets.

When you hyperfocus on a strong want, your reticular activation system draws that the content of that focus into being. What you focus on expands. You keep focussing on the wanting, instead of the having. You are focussing on the want to let go of the thoughts. The want itself presupposes lack to your subconscious mind and in that lack is the endless loop between your RAS and your subconscious mind that generates exactly that thing which you want to go away. Wanting is a feeling in the body. Focus on having and relaxing into the thoughts, welcoming it. Can I allow it? Can I welcome it? Can I let some of it go? No is also a valid answer and this will release often as well.

Do-nothing meditation is very good for this because you learn to let go of the compulsive need for control. If you focus on the wrongness of your experience, the want for a different experience, that want will always presuppose lack and keep giving you the same pattern. Judgement, wanting, trying, stuckness, frustration are feeling states where you are out of tune with the now, the body, and you can never release it. It is indeed a feeling underneath the want that you need to release. But prior, you need to always relax into the body in order to gain access to releasing. 

It's through letting go of the intention behind the want that you generate presence within your consciousness, and within that presence, you can stay with the sensations behind the want. The feeling/emotion underneath. And then within that presence of staying with the sensations, instead of being completely entangled in the chaos of your mind, you attune to the vibration of acceptance within your body and you process those lower feelings driving that want. 

You need to connect to the body and feel the sensations underneath the want. 

Edited by JonasVE12

6 hours ago, Judy2 said:

Does these thoughts come up at random times or are there specific circumstances where these thoughts come up?

@JonasVE12 Thank you, i appreciate it. 

I ended up pacing a bit in my room, then went for a long walk, and now I'm a little calmer.

@WelcometoReality No restrictions? I'm worrying about my self image nonstop. And when it's bad i can't focus on the things i should be doing, like studying or being there for my friends.

14 minutes ago, Judy2 said:

@WelcometoReality No restrictions? I'm worrying about my self image nonstop. And when it's bad i can't focus on the things i should be doing, like studying or being there for my friends.

What are you worried will happen if your self image is bad?

6 hours ago, Judy2 said:

@WelcometoReality I'm scared of being wrong, as in, being a bad person.

Let me tell you a secret that is not really a secret: No matter what you do in life, some people will love you and others won't. So it might help and ease things up a little bit to try to come to peace with this fact. Even if you are literally God, some people don't like God. And even if you are literally the devil, you will have fans and supporters. It's literally impossible to be a completely good person or a completely bad person, because ultimately what that is is a judgment inside the heads of humans, not the actual reality. Birds don't think in terms of good and bad, only humans do.

That being said, this won't likely remove the thoughts or stop them. At least not immediately, because they're conditioned thoughts that have been trained for years and they likely have so many emotions attached to them. So the best approach would be to go at it one bit at a time. Baby-step your progress, and ultimately the thoughts will dissolve. But even before that, you won't be having problems with them. You will notice the thoughts from a peaceful place and remain calm and introspective.

@Gesundheit2 Thank you.

I believe i do know this in theory...and yet the actuality of it is incredibly confusing.

Posted (edited)

Just to be clear, for most of the self hate it feels like i simply choose it and refuse to change my perspective.  That's on me.

What i was talking about here is when things get out of control and i am in a physical state of anxiety, plus the thoughts get a bit nastier and won't go away. And in that case I'd want it to stop, I'd want to let it all go and think about things in more positive terms -but i can't. 

Edited by Judy2

@Judy2 Can you elaborate more on what is confusing? It might help me and others generate more appropriate answers for you. It might help you too in a more direct way.

@Gesundheit2 Yes i understand. I'll come back later to elaborate a little:)

@Judy2 Pay attention to how your breathing changes with this.

The way you breathe and the way you think are related.

Why do I love you?  I don't need a reason.

https://lingabhairavi.org/

Have you read The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle? It helped my way of handling thoughts a lot. Feeling into my breath and the feelings in my body is one of the techniques from that book that has helped me the most. The trick is that when you notice thoughts appearing, notice them briefly. Then feel into your breath and become aware of the energy(feelings) in your body and by doing so it will break the chain of negative thoughts and bring you into the Now. That's where you can return when you want to be freed from thoughts(the Now). There's a space when you go into your breath and inner body for you to cover up when the thoughts are raining so the impact of thought is lessened and the thought feeling loop connection is weakened and eventually cut off.

When you're in a state of anxiety, just be aware of that state when it is happening. The thoughts that come with it are feeding the negative feelings(the anxiety in this case) with energy so that it is sustained for longer. One way to deal with anxiety accompanied by negative thoughts is to use either the technique I mentioned above(feeling into your breath & the feelings of your body). Or you could simply be aware of the anxiety itself when it appears, being aware of the feelings present can help you let go of the thoughts. Feel into it a bit and be curious about what it is, what it feels like. This is simple but can help a lot, to really experience the anxiety as it is, without coloring it with negative thoughts. By just feeling into it and seeing what's actually there, realizing that it's not very pleasant but that your thoughts make it out to be worse than it actually is.

@Benton How do you suggest i adjust my breathing?

@Asayake Yes, I've read it a couple of years ago. I'll give the techniques you suggested above a shot, thanks?

@Judy2 Play with your breath and see how it changes things.

See how your thinking changes when you hold your breath, slow your breathing, or quicken it. 

Becoming aware of it is really the deal.

Why do I love you?  I don't need a reason.

https://lingabhairavi.org/