Preety_India

Writing as a career with autism

17 posts in this topic

So I have been diagnosed with autism and I want to pursue a writing career. I feel my autism is a hindrance when I write and I have finally figured that my autism is responsible for my articulation issues. 

Is there anyone who has improved their autism difficulties/disabilities with regard to writing and can you please suggest what methods you found effective in this area. 

Thank you. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Autism is a super power in disguise, only if you manage to channel it well.

Will the quality of your writing be directly proportional to income?

If not then you have freedom to be more original, is it the absurdity or originality of your thinking which makes you feel inadequate to writing as a career?

Perhaps it is rhetoric that you struggle with, how much of your self are you willing to chime of in order to meet standardized norms?

When I make myself understood then all the substance of my thinking is gone, would you be happy regurgitating the bare minimum for others pleasure, or would that be too shallow? There are millions of various classes of audiences, is it possible that the struggle you have with writing reflects of the very people you interact with more than the writing itself?

I am not diagnosed autistic, but if I assume the meaning of such a spectrum then I am definitely on there, and will only say that you have to know your audience, the quality of your writing has nothing to do with the closest people nearby, unless we speak grammar and syntax issues.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

@Reciprocality the problem is not grammar or syntax issues but inability to articulate due to autism. 

I want to be able to verbalize(in written form) what I think/feel exactly the way I think/feel in a fluid manner. 

Most often I get stuck and I think to myself - I'm just not able to string this thought/idea/emotion into words? 

Edited by Preety_India

@Preety_India Yeah I know what you're talking about, I have autism too. I write songs, and it feels painful to think how to put my emotions into words. But I keep it pushing, yeah it might be hard to articulate your thoughts and emotions. Whereas neuronormals idk actually how it's like for someone who has normal neurons. 

"Reality is a Love Simulator"-Leo Gura

I REALLY NEED HELP  WITH THIS. 

Edited by Preety_India

@Preety_India I have practiced writing to myself extensively for over three years, I could never dream of understanding my own thinking as well as now, by means of reading it say 2 months after writing it.

My feelings is a whole different conundrum, the best I can do in this domain are analogies, x is during anxiety what a canoe is on sea.

Authenticity during a social gatherings are like sand castles under tides.

Good ambiance and traffic rarely combines well.

I do not know if this is gonna fly, but I hope you get the point, for feelings to be expressed well there are totally different rules to follow, it may involve logic as in my analogies, though it is a complex form of logic that requires one to relate experientally as well.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

12 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Autism is a super power in disguise, only if you manage to channel it well.

@Bobby_2021 How? 

47 minutes ago, Vision said:

@Bobby_2021 How? 

Your ability to completely immerse in a task allows you to see more connections than others. This allows for faster problem solving and deeper analysis. 

Functional autists are also usually highly conscientious and hardworking.

1 minute ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Your ability to completely immerse in a task allows you to see more connections than others. This allows for faster problem solving and deeper analysis. 

Functional autists are also usually highly conscientious and hardworking.

That’s quite interesting. Where could I learn more about this? 

Is it possible to be autistic and appear “normal” on the outside? (Even if appearing normal takes more effort for an autist than a neurotypical?)

1 hour ago, Vision said:

That’s quite interesting. Where could I learn more about this? 

Is it possible to be autistic and appear “normal” on the outside? (Even if appearing normal takes more effort for an autist than a neurotypical?)

Its absolutely possible to act normal for the sake of fitting in Social situation and even necessary.

All social skills can be trained by sufficient practice, although it may not be enough to match that of a natural extrovert. But the same is not true for the skills you have as an autist. Such skills are mostly genetic and cannot be trained. 

A few general points:

• Autists will excel in STEM or any other quantitative fields. That's the most of your strengths lie. 

• The amount of information you receive from talking to a high IQ autistic person is usually one point of information per sentance. They don't speak in emotionally empty rhetorics that doesn't mean anything.

• As far as writing is concerned, less people willing to read your material. Because people are interested in reading platitudes with emotionally charged content. Building an audience will be a struggle when you are always clear in your articulation. I am saying this from my personal experience. 

In other words, if you want to build a huge audience, speak like Trump.

• Autists have a tendency to misread the mind of people. (Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang theory). This can make you quite socially awkward struggling to fit in. Thankfully this can be trained. You will also have a tendency to correct people when they are wrong. Resist this tendency. Agree with them so that they don't fight you. 

• You struggle with emotions and neuroticism, especially if you are a woman. You tend to think highly rationally at all levels, which ironically leading you to be an emotional mess. You are also naive in most of the social situations and you  don't feel like you have any control or authority.

As I have said in the beginning, being an Autist is a super power.

But you need to bring a few little changes to yourself so that your potential don't come back to hurt you as was the case with a good number of high IQ scientists. 

I did not receive any helpful responses so far. 

Frustrated. 

2 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I did not receive any helpful responses so far. 

Frustrated. 

It depends on what you are writing and what your objectives are as a writer. 

Do you intend to reach a large audience?

What are the topics you are writing on?

What is the medium that you intend to use?

Be specific.

In the books mastery by robert greene ,somewhere in that book he writes about temple grandin ,she has autism or something but  followed the mastery process and did many things and reached the position of university professor.the story is good and inspirational . i think the story is in the chapter finding your calling ,last part in heading called reversal