Someone here

Why is dictatorship bad ?

26 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, zurew said:

However the question was, why would you prefer a 'good dictatorship' over a 'good democracy'?

You should remember that the administrator of this forum is essentially the forum's dictator. Leo is not a flawless dictator, I have seen some flaws. But as a whole, he's a good forum dictator. 

And it's easy to see that the majority of society is dumb. That's why we are still in the dark ages. 

6 hours ago, Someone here said:

I think dictatorship can be positive. If a truly GOOD leader would be in place, one who would look for the greater good, he or she woould do a better job of governing than a democracy. There  would be no red tape which stops so many good plans.

In theory, this is correct. But this can't manifest into reality because a good dictator needs to be an archangel (intelligent, integrous, strong, but can also be a devil at times to impose boundaries or achieve something very difficult). You can never encounter such a super human in person. All dictators in history have been devils, no exception. 

But suppose you encounter a super human in real life and he magically becomes a dictator, he still needs his ministers, generals, etc. to be as good or almost as good as him. Otherwise, they will conspire against him and he will end up in jail or dead. 

Imagine a very good dictator in North Korea. He would not last. The reason Kim Jong Un has been the dictator for many years is that his ministers and generals have the same mental development as him. Their souls are similar - dumb and devilish! 

Just now, zurew said:

I see, so you value efficiency over individual freedom?

efficieny in a sharia system is what i prefer

3 minutes ago, jimwell said:

In theory, this is correct. But this can't manifest into reality because a good dictator needs to be an archangel (intelligent, integrous, strong, but can also be a devil at times to impose boundaries or achieve something very difficult). You can never encounter such a super human in person. All dictators in history have been devils, no exception.

yes . this is true.dictator system can be super efficient.but a good dictator is very rare.

1 minute ago, itachi uchiha said:

sharia system

Could you please describe, how that system works and looks like?

4 minutes ago, jimwell said:

And it's easy to see that the majority of society is dumb. That's why we are still in the dark ages. 

Yes i sort of agree, but i wouldn't necessarily choose dictatorship over democracy. In a hypothetical i might choose a dictator if that dictator would be a highly conscious dictator, otherwise i would stay with democracy.

But if we are talking about a hypothetical scenario where i could choose between good democracy vs good dictatorship, then i would choose good democracy for the reasons i gave @itachi uchiha.

@Someone here

7 hours ago, Someone here said:

Most people seem to think a dictatorship is horrible. They seem to view it as one of the worst forms of government. Why? What is inherently wrong with a dictatorship?

It's funny that most people think a dictatorship is inherently evil, but that is the form of government of the Christian God and the government of choice of the bible.

Dictatorships are not inherently wrong, it is merely the fact that there has never been a single human being who could hold the office and not become corrupt due to human nature. It's not really a good idea to have one person making all the decisions without any advisement and second opinions, but it doesn't make it evil. It's human nature that makes the position of dictatorship bad.

1. Sure, the majority of mankind had dictatorship-like governance, until such a structure hits a limit, the limit being that some Dictators abuse their power too much, and mislead their kingdom or empire and made bad calls, and when mistakes are made it's difficult to hold a dictator to account because he and his group have centralized power onto them. However, I think you've answered your own question in your last paragraph, making this thread null.

Wait a minute, just Christianity? Aren't there other religions that were as bad if not worse than Christianity, that caused some empires to fall apart?

15 hours ago, Someone here said:

I think dictatorship can be positive. If a truly GOOD leader would be in place, one who would look for the greater good, he or she woould do a better job of governing than a democracy. There  would be no red tape which stops so many good plans.

Even if the perfect dictator were to exist, I don't think that would actually work because it's not possible to actually know what the best policies are without seeing into the future. As a result, factions would form around major ideas and insist that they should be in charge. The dictator would then have to brutally suppress them (that's the only way to remain in power), of course with the best of intentions. This would already lead to lesser freedoms than in America like press freedom and free speech.

In contrast, a democracy can remain stable because there's always the promise that you can boot the current leader out if the majority wants someone else. In a fair election, factions that lost the election wouldn't have the legitimacy to stage an uprising.