Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bloomer

Does it matter if you're motivated for the wrong reasons if you still win?

9 posts in this topic

What can actually tangible motivate me is not what I want to motivate me. It's petty like proving another person wrong, showing that I'm better. Things that I know I shouldn't care about. But when you pursue something for noble reasons it doesn't have the same pull. How can you be motivated by the right reasons? Does it even matter if you still achieve the same thing in the end? For example fitness https://www.actualized.org/forum/forum/5-health-fitness-nutrition-supplements/. If what motivates you to go to the gym is to get hot and get girls or whatever else rather than to challenge yourself or for health reasons. But in the end you do achieve that body. Does it matter what got you there? Should we really sacrifice results for the sake of having the right motivations.

when we are weak it's okay we need a carrot to help us not a stick, the end justifies the means

don't stay weak too long though since the above is a lack of integrity ... as we get on in life, our motives need to pure and consistent

for me all motivation is internal that is self love self growth self actualization, all the others i left behind

@gettoefl

On 5/17/2022 at 3:37 PM, gettoefl said:

when we are weak it's okay we need a carrot to help us not a stick, the end justifies the means

I feel and think this way to now. You're not always strong enough to have the pure reasons motivate us. 

don't stay weak too long though since the above is a lack of integrity ... as we get on in life, our motives need to pure and consistent

How do you develop that integrity?

for me all motivation is internal that is self love self growth self actualization, all the others i left behind

I think most people slog through life by external reasons. Like needing to make the rent and feed themselves. They work just hard enough to not be fired and when not working just sedate themselves. How are you supposed to get that integrity and internal motivation in the face of the shit 9-5 work week and rat race? 

1623852935080.jpg

Your motivations are who you are, if you won then you become who you are.

If you do not want to be motivated by what you are motivated by then you want to be someone your are not.

But because also the wanting to not be motivated by x is its own motivation y, you are therefore becoming who your are regardless.

I would choose the path of becoming the winner of the initial motivation, it is unlikely to escape you anytime soon.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

@Reciprocality

Just now, Reciprocality said:

Your motivations are who you are, if you won then you become who you are.

If you do not want to be motivated by what you are motivated by then you want to be someone your are not.

Okay then I want to be someone I'm not. I want to be a better man. But how can I be a better man if I'm not moving because I have no motivation?

1 minute ago, Reciprocality said:

But because also the wanting to not be motivated by x is its own motivation y, you are therefore becoming who your are regardless.

So you're saying just keep my motivations, move forward and then I'll become who I want to be?

1 minute ago, Reciprocality said:

I would choose the path of becoming the winner of the initial motivation, it is unlikely to escape you anytime soon.

That's what I'm going to do. Thank you. It hasn't escaped me ever. But I hope eventually it'll change who I am into someone I respect more. 

5 minutes ago, bloomer said:

Okay then I want to be someone I'm not. I want to be a better man. But how can I be a better man if I'm not moving because I have no motivation?

Then you are just armchair hypothesizing, then you are just engaging the predicament of being a better man, then you engage in fantasy so that you do not have to put in the effort.

You don't know what you want, chances are higher you one day will if you accept your naivete, as is mine.

I don't think I want to be nicer for instance, for I put no effort in it.

What I want can NOT be whatever I am supposed to, nor wherever my thoughts take me in some moment. Honesty presents to us what our motivations are, our deepest motivations require us also to honestly fail.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

@Reciprocality

19 minutes ago, Reciprocality said:

Then you are just armchair hypothesizing, then you are just engaging the predicament of being a better man, then you engage in fantasy so that you do not have to put in the effort.

Yeah true spending too much time thinking rather than doing. 

20 minutes ago, Reciprocality said:

You don't know what you want, chances are higher you one day will if you accept your naivete, as is mine.

I'm pretty sure I've accepted it naivete.

21 minutes ago, Reciprocality said:

What I want can NOT be whatever I am supposed to, nor wherever my thoughts take me in some moment. Honesty presents to us what our motivations are, our deepest motivations require us also to honestly fail.

I have been honest and I'm disappointed with the results, of what actually has pull for me. 

29 minutes ago, bloomer said:

@Reciprocality

I have been honest and I'm disappointed with the results, of what actually has pull for me. 

You say you are honest, but you identify with the part of you which says lofty words and not the part which fails on actualizing them?

Perhaps I am wrong in this characterization, but then what you really want is not what you think, but instead mediocrity, or indeed whatever you already are.

I say to myself that I want to go running, but then I don't go running, I realize that I don't actually want to go running, given the evidence. 

We think in this time and age that we can be what we say we are, this relates to how we think in terms of social identity, if we can fool someone else then we have become in their mind who we want to be without effort.  Why else would we end up fooling ourself on our inner motivations?

58 minutes ago, bloomer said:

@Reciprocality

What people don't realize is they do not lack motivation, you have motivation at all times. If I took a gun and started shooting at you....you would be very motivated. If I attempted to harm someone or something you cared about you would be very motivated. So you do not lack motivation, you just don't know how to generate it. Your main motivation in life....is fear. Until you reach God realization you will always be motivated by fear.

I learned this the hard way, I was placed in situations where I thought I had no ability to see a way through but the situation was so dire I had to just act because lack of action would lead to a worse situation. As a result I just did the best I could....and it worked out. The truth is if I had a way out of the situation I would have taken it, but since I didn't the fear of failure pushed me to achieve what was in my power all along.

So in your life....your motivation is ALWAYS controlled by your fear. So list your fears.... recognize ALL OF THEM and you will notice that every action you take is to move away from or resist your fears. 

Edited by Razard86

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.