Theperciever

Jordan Peterson's reign is over (opinions?)

75 posts in this topic

Authoritarians have for the last few years projected that anything which doesn't agree with their worldview is in fact authoritarian. It used to be call deviant or bad, but now it's twisted into a projection of themselves. It comes about because certain liberal voices did stray into 'their way or the highway' types of mentality, there were a lot of arbitrary and similar comments being made. This of course came from those liberal quarters receiving a large amount of gaslighting from their political opponents but I digress. When you get gaslighted repeatedly you end up making arbitrary or at least stubborn statements more often.

There is only one rule to magazine covers, whatever is selling the magazine. So if we were to be devil's advocates we could say money was the ultimate tool of control or in a healthier world, equilibrium. 

I do feel we idealize thin women too much, in other cultures larger figures are seen as better for childbirth for example. I often used to tell a beautiful girl of Norwegian descent that if Hollywood was in Norway the standard for beauty would be a larger build. Not fat but a larger build. Not to say thin women are not beautiful but this is the problem, when we start picking one body type over the others for everyone, we end up in a knot.

So I like that more body types are acknowledged. I saw an article on this piece, and there were 4 covers, curvy, slim, mature and chubby. So unless choice is the new authoritarian buzzword Mr Peterson has fallen victim to a projection of his own ego. Telling people what can and can't be shown, while insisting that other people are doing so.

Edited by BlueOak

I have always been mystified why so many men seek advice from a pundit with a whinny squeaky voice that can’t even control his own addictions.    I would take advice from Yumi Nu before I would take advice from Jordan Peterson.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

3 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Do you really think it’s okay to normalise fatness. If fat becomes the new hot, why would girls continue going to the gym and maintaining a healthy diet?

Should we send them to concentration camps? :D

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Wait till you see unicorn and angel pussy ;)

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

I mean, you have a look at her face and I think she still very much looks like your average hot chick lol.

Edited by Dryas

Twitter brings out the worst in people.. Where the reactionary aspects of people's perspectives can fester. 

JP thinks models should be role models or have that aspirational quality rather than a model as representation.

I see people sick of beauty standards from all perspectives. Alot of people are overweight in the U.S and appreciate beauty in their shape. I think a majority of men are attracted to thick/chubby women sexually in private and the majority of women would take a bigger guy over a lankier guy. For me this woman's body is far more ideal than some "slender" supermodels which to me, are lanky. Alot of it has to do with what you've been exposed to. Could remind you of your wife's body etc. I think the beauty in imperfection is very resonant. I've noticed im often attracted to girls with a little bit bigger noses. When I struggled with acne in high school I was attracted to girls who had acne (yup sounds weird but thats the brain for ya).

10 hours ago, Knowledge Hoarder said:

From what I've observed, it's mostly fat women who push forward this agenda, not fat men.

Because women are judged so much more harshly on their appearance than men. A significant chunk of a woman's survival hinges on her appearance. And women struggle with fat more than men.

9 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Do you really think it’s okay to normalise fatness. If fat becomes the new hot, why would girls continue going to the gym and maintaining a healthy diet?

1) Do you really think it's good that many young girls and women have crippling self-esteem problems because they cannot live up to the beauty standards found in magazines?

2) Fat is never gonna become the new hot. That's not something to worry about. Fit and normal girls will always be hot.

3) This cover is just throwing a dog a bone. To get so riled up about it and turn it into a political hill to die on is silly. It reeks of insecurity. A secure human would not be bothered by one or two covers of a fat girl. But an insecure conservative will frame this as the beginning of the end of Western civilization.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I'm chubby, from the meds I take, but you know, I don't mind it one bit.  
What other people think of my body is not my problem.
When I was thin, my face started to show some age, and the bit of weight on my cheeks makes me look 10 years younger.  I'm 34 and people have thought I was anywhere from high school age to 24.

I think her body looks just fine.

Edited by Loba

50 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Fat is never gonna become the new hot.

Are you sure about this? If all the magazines start showing fat girls, wouldn’t it influence what the next generation sees as hot.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

27 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Are you sure about this? If all the magazines start showing fat girls, wouldn’t it influence what the next generation sees as hot.

There is a baseline of attraction which is wired much deeper into our genetics than culture can change.

A normal healthy female body is never not gonna be hot to the average guy.

Culture is a strong force, but genetics is stronger.

24 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Women use to be heavier and wearing girdles was common.  When the model "Twiggy" appeared in the 1960s, it changed by perception of beauty and women wanted to become thinner, which also correlated with the beginning of exercise gyms.  Girdles went out of fashion.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twiggy#Reaction

Vincit omnia Veritas.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Fat is never gonna become the new hot.

At one point in history fat was perceived as hot.

Because food was scare and fat women indicated rich & high status families that had access to sufficient food. You can see sculptures and paintings fetishising fat women from that time period.

Not saying thag this can happen again. Probably won't.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Because women are judged so much more harshly on their appearance than men. A significant chunk of a woman's survival hinges on her appearance. And women struggle with fat more than men.

That's true, but with heart diseases and obesity being the number one reason for deaths, a little hurt to the self esteem is fine as long as she decides to eat clean and works out a little bit. Obesity is a slow killer. 

Everyone's survival hinges on body fat percentage.

Plus I don't think women are so willing to date or marry a fat dude. Even plus size women admitted that they are not attracted to plus size men. 

Far more men are willing to settle with fat women in my opinion than vice versa. 

9 hours ago, T_i_m said:

Should we send them to concentration camps? :D

:(

Edited by Bobby_2021

6 minutes ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Because food was scare and fat women indicated rich & high status families that had access to sufficient food. You can see sculptures and paintings fetishising fat women from that time period.

@Bobby_2021  I was about to write that,you stole from me>:(:D

Women have long had their self-esteem smashed to pieces over their weight. Some of them even develop serious psychological issues like bulimia because of it. If you’re a guy, imagine that happening to your girlfriend, sister or daughter.

Point being that even if JP is right and this is an “overcorrection” on societal beauty standards, I’m very okay with it. I see progress. It will balance out in the future.

20 minutes ago, flyingguitarist said:

@Bobby_2021  I was about to write that,you stole from me>:(:D

Not going to lie, I enjoy pointing this out everytime. B|

These are the Beauty standards across different cultures,How can it be genetic? Its highly Intersubjective

Beauty.png

Keep in mind we are in the age of peak relativity and sensitivity. It's considered offensive to point out she isn't healthy nor beautiful for being overweight (minus her face). Culturally we have shifted into a space of enabling people to mutilate their bodies or ignore taking care of their health because it's seen as imposing to point out things that may be considered facts, like how she will probably have heart disease issues and become a burden on the medical system in her 40s, 50s and so on.

I'm not saying we should berede her or that the culture is particularly flawed. We just don't have the same perception of health as we used to.

hrhrhtewgfegege

2 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

It's a silly point.

If you took a model and put her back in time, guys would still be clammoring to get in her pants.

@Leo Gura Some cultures prefer fat girls over skinny girls, like in Mauritania.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie