Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eddy

How To Become More Assertive?

28 posts in this topic

Thanks, guys your advice is amazing! 

On 2/12/2016 at 6:17 PM, ayokolomo said:

I found my lack of assertiveness came from my lack of self esteem, there was always a voice at the back of my head that was saying "shut the fuck up."  I mean literaly, during conversations I would actualy have a point, but hear this negative mantra and not say anything.

I cant remember where I heard this from, but I have been using two phrases to counter this:

No, and

I will

Using these two has really helped me in becoming more assertive.

This is pretty much it, don't take it to far before you let assertiveness and dominance turn you into an asshole

Source of that philosophy:

Just start saying No to people

Edited by JevinR
m

I know this might seem an indirect approach but I recommend working on your voice. The thing is that you can force yourself to act and visualize how you will go through a situation but sometimes your body doesn't follow, your voice mumbles and stutters and it's so low. I've tried doing voice deepening exercises for a couple of days and the results were astonishing. I began to experience fulfillment through purely hearing my self say words to my self. It is really satisfying.

I think this is a good approach because it takes a lot of effort out of the table. IT'S MUCH EASIER TO RAISE YOUR VOICE when you work on your voice. It's still one aspect though and you gotta keep it consistent with voice deepening exercise. It's gonna take a while to lock in. 

You still gotta be careful when talking with a about deep voice. A person can have a deep voice but his mouth is blocking the full potential. He's not enunciating fully subconsciously. I speculate that these people are used to being semi assertive (aggression control after long habitual pattern).

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

Unexpectedly I've found that trying to move beyond ego and recognizing ego for what is is has made me more assertive. The only reason I wasn't more assertive before was because I was concerned about how I would be perceived.

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Something like "Toastmasters' might help you develop/learn the skills needed to bring your inner voice out. Just a thought