Ethan1

What is True Freedom?

18 posts in this topic

Contemplating the meaning of Freedom. 

What does true freedom mean to you? 

being without attachments, seeing through death and embracing total fearlessness.

Love this question.

Being able to live life as expansive as possible is the biggest thing for me. Being able to choose my experience. To be living a fully spontaneous life. To be in control completely but also completely unattached to anything. Just flowing with life, letting your bliss guide you into the unknown without ever being attached to past and future. Just living in the now and letting inspiration come out of the body without any resistance telling you 'No, you can't'. 

It's laying with your girlfriend in bed, sharing joyful moments together, and then just super impulsively saying 'Let's go to the airport right now and just hop on a plane to a random country', and then just doing it... And only coming back whenever you want to. Maybe not coming back at all. 

And then sharing that with other people. Being in other peoples presence and guiding them to more peace is super rewarding. 

I'm not fully there, but my path to it is clear and I just know that every year, my life is only getting better. 

Every day I go on walks for a couple of hours, and it feels so blissful. I feel this ecstatic energy running down my body. When I come across people, I just open my heart to them, smile, sometimes stopping for a conversation. That's super huge because I was always very contracted socially. 

If you want to get to freedom, you have to fulfill the deepest desires you have in your life. These lusts connected to your deeper karma. Sometimes we suppress them and avoid them. But the key to freedom is to move all of your desires into being because that's where you gain your power to move beyond your personal desires and to live from a sense of flow and spontaneity. It's where all your contractions are and the goal in life is to transcend all those limitations and to embody your full potential. 

Freedom is Imperturbability. That's what liberation means for me. And then enlightenment is just the clarity of the deeper nature of everything. And that's the other side of the coin. Freedom is also understanding and intuition. Just knowing what's up without needing to analyze too much.

You know you are free when everything is just so effortless. 

Being liberated from the fear of consequences. 

Infinity.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

You are living in freedom when you are doing what you truly want. And not doing what you think others think you should do. 

Other than infinity, all of the posts so far about what is true freedom, isn't true freedom. It's 'true freedom' with conditions attached to such a concept, by you, which converts it into limited freedom. So long as you don't ego death, or become infinity, or shapeshift into some kind of creature or non physical entity, then it's safe to claim my true freedom as living the best kind of life, making millions, travelling to several countries, meeting new people and places, having new dates and sexual encounters, providing a better place for your family, a nicer job and career for yourself with your own working hours, with the ideal career, business, the best body, with the best kinds of hobbies you could pursue, with your own home. All that sounds really nice, but that's more like financial freedom or independence, but not true freedom.

I only see subjective opinions and beliefs in this thread.

My opinion/belief is: I don't know.

Edited by Blackhawk

There are degrees of freedom and different types of freedom. Actualising is the process of gaining ever greater freedoms, bit by bit.

All stories and explanations are false.

Just having a home, not having to worry about the world, freedom to work on art when I want, sleep and eat when I would like to, you know, freedom... but.... contained into my little world, that I will ever expand slowly, safely.

True Freedom is that everyone gets what they want, and as a result, no one gets what they want.

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

1 hour ago, EyolfTheWolf said:

You are living in freedom when you are doing what you truly want. And not doing what you think others think you should do. 

I guess I'm a slave.

True freedom is freedom from your own demons. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Ethan1 Interesting question Ethan.

What came to mind as I read your question was knowing the truth of who I am.

maybe better to ask what is my attachment my bondage my chains, what is stopping me from self actualization

what today stopped me from doing what i needed to do

the perfect day is nothing stopping me

free is the perfect day is every day

Freedom to me is essentially agorism. All relations and exchanges in society being entirely voluntary and non-violent in nature.

A good number of people here have negative connotations about the word "anarchy" and think it can only mean complete societal breakdown and that the world would basically devolve into The Purge overnight. To me, True Freedom is has to be some form of anarchy. I think there are some forms of anarchy that could plausibly be achieved and result in a peaceful and stable society with maximum freedom. If you have any form of authority or government dictating things you can and can't do (especially via threat of violence) then by definition you can never truly be free.

We don't even have to go all the way at once. The book "Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal" by Joel Salatin is a real eye-opener to how crazy some of our laws are just regarding food and farming alone.