Danioover9000

The Netflix issue.

33 posts in this topic

@Bobby_2021

3 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

I think you all have missed the main point.

Netflix Content is shit. That's the bottom line. That's the main reason why people are not paying for it.

The movies are nothing more than "let's throw monaaaay and get all the best actors and use scenes that's nothing new".

It's merely use and throw, but for  series and movie. The movies do not have anything worth remembering. There is no creativity in the actual story or writing. Predictable content is boring.

And now add some wokesim onto it. 

They use female characters to represent prominent male figures in history, women beating men in fights, etc..

You may not see the problem with them, but no one is going to pay to watch an inaccurate picture of biology and reality. 

I can watch any show I want for free if I want, but I still don't because it's a waste of time.

Isn't that essential throwing the baby out with the batth water? If Netflix content is shit, does that mean all episodes in Netflix's is shit? Does that mean episodes of all other genres is shit in Netflix? Does that mean all types of documentaries in Netflix is shit?

@Roy

18 hours ago, Roy said:

If so many people are doing it, should it really be illegal? Most media content is stolen or copied to some degree. More than half of Youtube is just people redistributing content they didn't make.

Ok, I was triggered a bit because I value excellence, and pirating seems like a lazy approach to gaining content for free, and is disrespectful to the directors, producers, artists, actors and actresses that have worked on that film, sometimes hard work, only for it to be free content. How are they getting compensated for their work?

Allow me to take your logic and extreme it in a hypothetical for a bit. If so many people around me, my clan members, are pillaging, raping, amd raiding coastal villages, shouldn't it be really illegal? I mean look at at all the booty and treasures we can bring back! Meanwhile, the survivors are enslaved and feel really bad about their situation. In this hypothetical, the raiders is you and everyone you saidxwas pirating, and the village is the content, and the villagers geting killed, raped, and enslaved, are the content creators that feel like shit knowing some, or most of their hard work, is being stolen for free. The key issue here, is how do we protect ourselves, assuming we are content creators, against plagiarism, in particular from big businesses?

@Razard86

16 hours ago, Razard86 said:

In truth theft doesn't even exist as everything is just consciousness. So in the grand scheme of things....he isn't really doing anything. Also....there is nothing new under the sun....meaning every single thing in existence is just a remix of something that already exists. Originality no longer exists.

I refuse to believe that everything is a remix. There's definitely some room for novelty and uniqueness in content creation.

@Danioover9000 I mean you know what you are going to see with a show. It's not exceptional content that will be cherished for years

It will be big budget, big stars, same old regurgitated scenes, wokesim etc

Occasionally they do have good content, that alone isn't worth paying for.

@Danioover9000 Sorry man I don't really have an answer. It's just a flaw of mine, I personally don't have an issue with piracy.

hrhrhtewgfegege

Netflix is the only legitimate streaming service. All else is basically just a waste of time. The government should nationalize and dismantle all the "alternative" streaming services and offload their contents to Netflix.

18 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Netflix is the only legitimate streaming service. All else is basically just a waste of time.

Except what makes Netflix unique is that it has no alternate income stream.  Amazon can outcompete Netflix if they want.  They can charge half of what Netflix charges while spending double the amount investing in new content.

If the idiot managers at Netflix get their shit together, Netflix can survive.  But it can't afford to make a single mistake.

18 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

The government should nationalize and dismantle all the "alternative" streaming services and offload their contents to Netflix.

Nah, I say make the streaming industry SOOOO shit that everyone starts pirating and killing off the services that can't survive.

The problem has to get so bad that it can no longer be ignored.  I very rarely hear anyone complaining about having to have 20 subscriptions just to watch everything.  Clearly the pain isn't bad enough yet.

Edited by thisintegrated

7 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

If the idiot managers at Netflix get their shit together, Netflix can survive.  But it can't afford to make a single mistake.

Another issue I noticed with them is that their algorithm is really horrendous, so good shows get buried. Really, the best TV shows I've ever seen have all been on Netflix, and they've been nowhere near the most accessible sections of the platform except for the moments of their releases when they were in the little "trending" category.

7 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Another issue I noticed with them is that their algorithm is really horrendous, so good shows get buried. Really, the best TV shows I've ever seen have all been on Netflix, and they've been nowhere near the most accessible sections of the platform except for the moments of their releases when they were in the little "trending" category.

Yep, that's the main issue they suffer from.  They invest in 100 shows, 10 will be good, they'll advertise 3, then they'll cancel the other 7 as no one watched them as they didn't advertise.

They need to only invest in 30, advertise them all to the target demographics, and regularly only cut off like worst performing 10.  They also need to double down on the advertisement of their best performing shows.  80/20 rule.  The best performing 20% is responsible for 80% of revenue.  Yes I just made that up, but I'm also statistically correct.

Disclaimer: Numbers for reference only.

Edited by thisintegrated

@thisintegrated

On 5/18/2022 at 1:38 AM, thisintegrated said:

Yep, that's the main issue they suffer from.  They invest in 100 shows, 10 will be good, they'll advertise 3, then they'll cancel the other 7 as no one watched them as they didn't advertise.

They need to only invest in 30, advertise them all to the target demographics, and regularly only cut off like worst performing 10.  They also need to double down on the advertisement of their best performing shows.  80/20 rule.  The best performing 20% is responsible for 80% of revenue.  Yes I just made that up, but I'm also statistically correct.

Disclaimer: Numbers for reference only.

Sounds good. If Netflix niches down a bit more, it'll be harder for big companies to keep on copying them.

Also, couldn't Netflix have had a protection against this? Like they trademark their services so that if some company tries to copy them and their streaming services they could sue them. Couldn't they have done this, and technically be able to sue Amazon and Disney for making streaming services exactly like them?

3 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@thisintegrated

Sounds good. If Netflix niches down a bit more, it'll be harder for big companies to keep on copying them.

Also, couldn't Netflix have had a protection against this? Like they trademark their services so that if some company tries to copy them and their streaming services they could sue them. Couldn't they have done this, and technically be able to sue Amazon and Disney for making streaming services exactly like them?

I don't think it's possible to trademark the idea of "streaming".  They can only trademark IP, which they sometimes sell to other streaming services who want to fund a new season.

Edited by thisintegrated

@thisintegrated

30 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

I don't think it's possible to trademark the idea of "streaming".  They can only trademark IP, which they sometimes sell to other streaming services who want to fund a new season.

So, there's nothing Netflix could do to penalize Disney or Amazon for copying it's streaming services?

9 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@thisintegrated

So, there's nothing Netflix could do to penalize Disney or Amazon for copying it's streaming services?

Nothing.  You could say Netflix itself copied YouTube, and then that YouTube copies whatever was before it.

If you took a video on your phone and uploaded it to your own website, could anyone sue you?  Well that's literally what Netflix is doing.