Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fernanda

Blade Runner and Solipsism

14 posts in this topic

Blade Runner is a movie that has always intrigued me. I've watched it many times. 

Now, I can see it as a kind of investigation on solipsism and love.

We might consider "other people" as "replicants". They don't have their own emotions and experiences, as abolute solipsism would claim, but we can imagine them. In one of the final scenes of the first movie Deckard feels empathy for the replicant he is supposed to kill, as the beautiful lines go:

"I'VE SEEN THINGS YOU PEOPLE WOULDN’T BELIEVE..."

Deckard also falls in love with Rachel, a replicant herself (although there is room for questioning if she is really one).

The author gives the message that it doesn't matter if they have empathy or not, what matters is the empathy we develop towards our own creations as "others". What blocks that is always fear.

Replicants can also have emotions through implanted memories, as we see in Blade Runner 2049. The journey of K trying to figure out if he was born or if he is a replicant is left to the viewer to contemplate. But in the end, HE IS COMPLETELY ALONE. No birth, no father, just pure love under the rain.

The death of K's replicant lover, Joy, is one of the saddest scenes I've ever seen. Was it supposed to be? She is just a machine turned off!! But it is, it's well done, the author is playing with deep philosophical concepts through powerful fiction.

We love what we imagine we can love. Love is the reality.

There are no others, because ALL IS ONE.

I wonder if anyone has also seen solipsistic concepts in Blade Runner.

Edited by Fernanda

@Fernanda Interesting post. An infinite mind can imagine anything, so that means the sub minds within your mind could be self aware, having emotions and experiences. It just means that if you stopped imagining them they wouldn't exist. I view it more as myself in another body. Just because you can't access their mind, emotions and perceptions from your limited consciousness doesn't mean they don't have them. 

23 minutes ago, Matthew85 said:

view it more as myself in another body. Just because you can't access their mind, emotions and perceptions from your limited consciousness doesn't mean they don't have them. 

@Matthew85 interesting. Although we are not aware of all our creations, we can love them and make them real, thus becoming more Self aware. The irony is that we can really "FALL" for some parts of ourselves, making us really feel the aliveness of reality :) it happened with Deckard, which was a threat to his survival as a cop. Love always threatens survival in a way.

@Fernanda There are endless possibilities. We need to be open to one of them being our infinite consciousness is experiencing multiple lives simultaneously and blocking our awareness of all of them except ours. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew85 said:

There are endless possibilities. We need to be open to one of them being our infinite consciousness is experiencing multiple lives simultaneously and blocking our awareness of all of them except ours.

I am definitely open to this possibility ;) It's a fact we get to unblock it at times, so the road seems to be open within consciousness.

@Fernanda I'm still trying to figure it all out, but I've had some experiences where I became aware I was living other lives parallel to my life as Matthew. It's difficult to wrap our minds around some of these concepts. 

53 minutes ago, Matthew85 said:

There are endless possibilities. We need to be open to one of them being our infinite consciousness is experiencing multiple lives simultaneously and blocking our awareness of all of them except ours. 

How do you explain bending other people to your will through manifestation. Say a woman found you repulsive and then you manifested her to fall madly in love with you. What would this tell you about “others”? To me it tells me that they’re just, for the sake of understanding, very advanced projections of my mind. Like holograms. I believe that everything in my immediate awareness is in a quantum superposition, including other people, until I measure it through my 5 senses. I’ve been able to change people around me just by changing my thoughts and feelings on them… literally no action other than that. This cannot co-exist with the argument of multiple minds.

@michaelcycle00 very interesting. Things like that happened in my experience too. I'm very curious about how you did that. How did you use imagination to manifest this woman falling in love with you? Are you conscious of how it happened in detail? I love learning about this subject.

1 hour ago, michaelcycle00 said:

How do you explain bending other people to your will through manifestation. Say a woman found you repulsive and then you manifested her to fall madly in love with you. What would this tell you about “others”? To me it tells me that they’re just, for the sake of understanding, very advanced projections of my mind. Like holograms. I believe that everything in my immediate awareness is in a quantum superposition, including other people, until I measure it through my 5 senses. I’ve been able to change people around me just by changing my thoughts and feelings on them… literally no action other than that. This cannot co-exist with the argument of multiple minds.

@michaelcycle00 Interesting question Michael. One possibility is infinite parallel realties. An infinite consciousness can sub divide itself endlessly and create infinite sub minds in those realties. So, in one reality the woman falls in love with you, but there are endless other realities where different versions exist where she didn't. To me it doesn't negate other minds. That would only apply if you believe there is only one reality. I believe it's much more likely there are infinite realities. 

2 hours ago, Fernanda said:

I'm very curious about how you did that. How did you use imagination to manifest this woman falling in love with you? Are you conscious of how it happened in detail? I love learning about this subject.

I didn't do/haven't done that in particular. It's just an example from other people's success stories. On Neville Goddard's sub (Reddit) you'll find hundreds of these success stories. Mostly from women who wanted their exes back or their crushes to like them back.

I used to want to do this in order to get a girlfriend but nowadays I'm not so sure I want a relationship (due to many things) or to manifest some perfect girl for me even. It'd just make me more solipsistic than I already am and I can't function as a human that way. It's pretty scary honestly.

1 hour ago, Matthew85 said:

Interesting question Michael. One possibility is infinite parallel realties. An infinite consciousness can sub divide itself endlessly and create infinite sub minds in those realties. So, in one reality the woman falls in love with you, but there are endless other realities where different versions exist where she didn't. To me it doesn't negate other minds. That would only apply if you believe there is only one reality. I believe it's much more likely there are infinite realities. 

Yep, that's what most people on this train say. I've contemplated that already, and there are still inconsistencies. Think about how the people in your life play a part in your storyline. Your father, mother, brother, your co-workers, your friends, Trump, Biden, Greta Thunberg, etc lol. Let's say Greta Thunberg was your sister. You've become sick to death of her parroting about climate change in the last years and you'd like her to change. You want her to become pro-fossil fuels, buy a Hummer H1, and brag about it on Instagram. This would obviously make no sense at all. But it's your will. So you manifest her to become like that. And she does, all of a sudden, 3 days later she says she's pro-fossil fuels and is looking to buy a Hummer H1. You'd probably be like "did you just hit your head or something?". Now, this doesn't negate what you just said, what does is that she would STILL have to be YOUR SISTER GRETA THUNBERG WHO YOU GREW UP WITH. So for example, whatever childhood memories you had with her would have to remain the same. If you remember stubbing your toe against a lego she was using to build a house in the living room when she was 5, she would have to remember that moment, and any other that you shared together, for the sake of consistency. 

What I'm saying is that for your scenario to work everything else up to that moment would need to be the exact same. How do you solve this? Do you think an infinite amount of the same realities you have lived and are currently living are being spawned over and over again except with that slight difference where your sister is no longer a climate change activist, but the complete opposite? Among many other changes you could've made to your reality through manifestation. And if the past is the exact same, why would that happen anyway? Why would people or circumstances change out of nowhere, for no reason at all? Other than that you made them be this way. None of this is possible if they're sentient just like you are. 

My point being that even with infinite realities, it doesn't really make sense. And if God is subdividing endlessly and creating the entire life of other people just so that you get to experience them in the way that you want them to, doesn't that scream "you're God, it's all fake!" even more? But yeah it's pretty weird.

@michaelcycle00

12 hours ago, michaelcycle00 said:

Let's say Greta Thunberg was your sister. You've become sick to death of her parroting about climate change in the last years and you'd like her to change. You want her to become pro-fossil fuels, buy a Hummer H1, and brag about it on Instagram. This would obviously make no sense at all. But it's your will. So you manifest her to become like that. And she does, all of a sudden, 3 days later she says she's pro-fossil fuels and is looking to buy a Hummer H1.

I have not personally validated being able to do something like this, but I believe it may be possible. 

what does is that she would STILL have to be YOUR SISTER GRETA THUNBERG WHO YOU GREW UP WITH. So for example, whatever childhood memories you had with her would have to remain the same. If you remember stubbing your toe against a lego she was using to build a house in the living room when she was 5, she would have to remember that moment, and any other that you shared together, for the sake of consistency. 

What I'm saying is that for your scenario to work everything else up to that moment would need to be the exact same. How do you solve this?

One solution is the possibility of infinite realties. Infinite realties means every possible reality and variation that could ever exist. That would include the one where your sister Greta becomes pro-fossil fuels and retains all the shared memories with you as her brother. 

Do you think an infinite amount of the same realities you have lived and are currently living are being spawned over and over again except with that slight difference where your sister is no longer a climate change activist, but the complete opposite?

I'm not sure Michael. I am not close to understanding all of this. Perhaps the infinite variation's of realties exist in a sort of static state and you animate them by shifting the focus of your consciousness to them. 

None of this is possible if they're sentient just like you are. 

I would be very hesitant to believe other people do not have conscious awareness, experience and emotions just as you do. An infinite mind can imagine anything. You are only ever interacting with yourself, so when peoples behavior changes to your desires they are in agreement with it on another level of their awareness. What about the times when peoples behavior doesn't conform to someone's desire? You could say this implies they have a will just as you do. 

Edited by Matthew85

11 hours ago, Matthew85 said:

I have not personally validated being able to do something like this, but I believe it may be possible. 

I also haven't (to that extent) but apparently, some people have.

11 hours ago, Matthew85 said:

One solution is the possibility of infinite realties. Infinite realties means every possible reality and variation that could ever exist. That would include the one where your sister Greta becomes pro-fossil fuels and retains all the shared memories with you as her brother.

Yes, but again, where does the causation come from if not just your mind? Why would someone like Greta turn pro-fossil fuels? Why would someone like Trump suddenly turn into a Democrat? Why would Hitler start loving the Jews without any cause other than your mind? See what I'm trying to say?

12 hours ago, Matthew85 said:

I'm not sure Michael. I am not close to understanding all of this. Perhaps the infinite variation's of realties exist in a sort of static state and you animate them by shifting the focus of your consciousness to them. 

Yes. Very likely. This is Solipsism though... you're animating everything and *everyone* by shifting the focus of your consciousness to that/them. Lol. 

I would be very hesitant to believe other people do not have conscious awareness, experience and emotions just as you do. An infinite mind can imagine anything.

I'm sure it can, I just don't see why it would. If the goal is to forget and pretend it's a human in an alien world separate from others then it just needs 1 experience (POV) for that. Not infinitely many. And again, going by this, it actually would be counterproductive to dream and be aware of an infinite number of dreams. It beats the experience. This is why I/you, whatever, are only aware of your ego-self and not of an infinite number of them.

You are only ever interacting with yourself, so when peoples behavior changes to your desires they are in agreement with it on another level of their awareness.

This would imply that manifestation is inherently limited and bounded by others' receptivity. So basically you're saying you can't manifest unless other people are in accordance with your will. To my knowledge, from various reputable sources as well as self-experience, this isn't the case.

What about the times when peoples behavior doesn't conform to someone's desire? You could say this implies they have a will just as you do. 

As long as I persisted in my desired state, I've had a 100% success rate. 

Don't get me wrong Matthew, I want more than anything for others to be real. Like I'd probably go crazy if I found out this wasn't the case. I want you to be real... you are a real one btw (no pun intended), I always read your posts. You're out here asking the right questions. But yeah, I just can't see how that would be possible in the relative domain. Perhaps the relative domain is a lot more radical than we are able to think (fingers crossed).

7 hours ago, michaelcycle00 said:

This would imply that manifestation is inherently limited and bounded by others' receptivity. So basically you're saying you can't manifest unless other people are in accordance with your will. To my knowledge, from various reputable sources as well as self-experience, this isn't the case.

@michaelcycle00 ultimately, it's our own receptivity, right? The irony is...we have to imagine others do have their own awareness to make their hollographic existence "real" for us. Am I mistaken here? It is radical! :)

Edited by Fernanda

13 hours ago, michaelcycle00 said:

Yes, but again, where does the causation come from if not just your mind?

@michaelcycle00 Good question. When I examine successful manifestations I have had, it seems I from my Matthew level of mind was able to impress my higher mind which orchestrated the process of me experiencing them.

Why would someone like Greta turn pro-fossil fuels? Why would someone like Trump suddenly turn into a Democrat? Why would Hitler start loving the Jews without any cause other than your mind? See what I'm trying to say?

I haven't seen anyone demonstrate this level of changing someone, but it may be possible. Yes, I see what you are saying, but you have to distinguish finite mind from the higher mind. If you accomplished something like this it isn't Michaels mind that did it. Many seem to be confused in thinking my finite mind is all that exists. Our finite minds are just one of infinite finite minds within the mind of all that is. 

I'm sure it can, I just don't see why it would. If the goal is to forget and pretend it's a human in an alien world separate from others then it just needs 1 experience (POV) for that.

Perhaps contemplate why would an infinite mind limit itself to only 1 POV, when it could just as easily hold infinite POV simultaneously and make each POV appear to be a unique individual experience by blocking their awareness of one another. The richness and diversity of experiencing infinite POV would be much more interesting than one. 

As long as I persisted in my desired state, I've had a 100% success rate. 

That's great! I don't have all the answers. I am still trying to figure all this out myself. I do believe others are conscious and have awareness and a will just as I do. I don't know of anyone who has been able to get people to conform to their desires 100%. Is it possible? I don't know. 

Don't get me wrong Matthew, I want more than anything for others to be real. Like I'd probably go crazy if I found out this wasn't the case. I want you to be real... you are a real one btw (no pun intended), I always read your posts. You're out here asking the right questions. But yeah, I just can't see how that would be possible in the relative domain. Perhaps the relative domain is a lot more radical than we are able to think (fingers crossed).

I feel others are real. I see them more as me in another body, but not me meaning Matthew, me meaning an aspect of my higher mind, which Matthew is as well. 

Edited by Matthew85