DefinitelyNotARobot

Why do thoughts have such a strong pull?

10 posts in this topic

What causes one to be sucked into the "thinking mind"? It's so easy to get lost in thought patterns. It's just like a maze.

They feel very powerful. And I don't know why that is. So why is that? Why are thought given so much power?

I know for myself that I love thinking. It can be a lot of fun. A lot of times though it's just tiring and frustrating. It doesn't feel good.

Meditating can help with that, but then all of the stuff that comes up during the meditation ends up being just as, if not even more, frustrating than the thoughts themselves and then it becomes very alluring to go back to daydreaming and thinking and all of that stuff.

It has been like that all my life. I was always VERY occupied with my thoughts. I literally had to redo first grade because I would just sit there and think about stuff while watching the trees outside the window, instead of listening to the teacher. I'm not sure how relevant mentioning this is because I'm not sure how relevant untangling our conditioning is, on the spiritual path. One might say that it's just a waste of time and that you should go straight to letting go of thoughts. But I'm not sure so I'm letting you know that this seems to be a reoccurring pattern.

beep boop

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

I know for myself that I love thinking. It can be a lot of fun

Basically answered for yourself. You're wired to think.

Habit. Survival. Pleasure. Comfort. Identity. << all things that thinking accomplishes. It's useful and important for survival. At a young age you realize that thinking does a very good job at helping you navigate reality, and so starts the rabbit hole. 

You are what you currently desire. ❤️

It's how you survive as yourself. You (the ego) is a bundle of thoughts.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's how you survive as yourself. You (the ego) is a bundle of thoughts.

Could you release an updated episode on what is the ego? Your only episode about it is very old. It would be really interesting to hear an explanation of the separate self from your new state of consciousness. The mechanics of how God creates an identity and preserves it. 

Inquire in the now.

Feeling is the truest knowing ?️

53 minutes ago, billiesimon said:

Could you release an updated episode on what is the ego? Your only episode about it is very old. It would be really interesting to hear an explanation of the separate self from your new state of consciousness. The mechanics of how God creates an identity and preserves it. 

Would be nice. But Leo already has such good in depth videos about the ego so not a big deal if not.

He has multiple episodes on the ego actually. Ego backlash, how survival works, what is the devil, how does authority work, etc.

You are what you currently desire. ❤️

@DefinitelyNotARobot I have heard it described as the thinking mind has become an entity unto itself....a sort of runaway train effect, and like Leo mentioned most seems geared towards survival.

It's seems like the mind evolved during some very dangerous and life threatening circumstances. 

Now thousands of years later we live in very industrialized and safe modern society where danger is far less of a threat. But we still have all that evolutionary conditioning plus tons of mind stimulus from social media/technology and such which keeps this runaway train effect chugging away.

Of course this is all just a story but it sounds very reasonable!

❤ 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

A lot of our thinking is an avoidance, I think, or a way of coping with very strong, uncomfortable emotions like fear and despair. So in order to quieten your mind, you have to allow those underlying feelings to be felt - and that can be a fuck of a lot easier said than done, it can take concerted effort and a willingness to allow the arising of very painful and uncomfortable emotions that you'd previously pushed away. Otherwise, your mind is liable to spin and spin forever.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

5 hours ago, billiesimon said:

Could you release an updated episode on what is the ego?

Yes, planned.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Because only you are privy to them, so you believe they are yours. But if you try to shut off your thoughts completely, you find that it is impossible. Moreover, you can't even find the source of thoughts, or perceieve it and switch it off. Also, thoughts appear without willful volition.

Given that the mind is a function of survival, and survival is the active resistance to end of the self, it will continue producing thoughts that preserve the sense of self. If you observe the content of the internal chatter, it is always about the self. 

The closer you are to your true self, the weaker the pull of thoughts will be.

thought is collective consciousness, all the ideas passed down through the years, note you have never had an original thought, you borrowed from others and then ego claims this is mine

you could only have an original thought if you let god think for you for a change ... how to do that? you stop and let god start

Edited by gettoefl