MsNobody

Why so serious?

11 posts in this topic

I watched the video below a couple weeks ago, and I know the lady talking is very young but she's gotta a point.

She is basically talking about how we get rigid and bitter as we become an adult, that the simple things that should bring us joy are overlooked and sometimes invisible for us. 

I find that psychedelics bring back this side of pure curiosity and exploration, and thanks to those substances I can say I have a happier life, and that I laugh more, and that I enjoy the simple things more. I'm not saying that we should be irresponsible and not take things seriously but all this seriousness does not bring us anything good. Have you noticed that when you smile your whole body relaxes instantly? I just learned this with my skydiving buddy, it's a little trick to help the body deal with the fear and adrenaline.

When I watched this video I could see how much serious I became. Now I'm basically trying to bring that sense of wonder back into my life, I'm trying things I never tried, I'm more comfortable with failure (you know a child who doesn't really care about looking embarrassed?) and I also increased my curiosity.

This subject brings me so much joy that I wanted to come here and create a new post in this thread that is called (off-topic: fun) 

Something I look for in my spiritual teachers is humor, I get so happy when I see Leo wearing a hat on Christmas, or playing with the juggling balls, or out in Vegas dancing, it shows me is human side. We all have this side, but why do we hide?

Why are we so serious? Even when we have it all together? even when we know this is all a dream?

Thank you for reading xD

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

Great post!!! You are on to something great!!! One of my lessons my True Self told me was to be more emotional and be more playful.

Playfullness is actually one of the paths of Yoga. Sadhguru talks about this. 

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

Ya it's weird how serious people get.  the whole way they are looking at life is couched inside the more expansive child mind.  We are not really that serious, we are innocent.  Why are we striving so hard, what about being happy, and fun.  We don't know we are as innocent as a baby or an animal.  Sometimes life is just play.

Life actually is magic, but we don't see it that way when we think we understand it.  Kids see the world more truthfully than adults, adults usually only see their idea of the world.

Edited by Mulky
fun

Well it is hard to be playfully self-deceptive.

It is also hard to be playfully following the Ukraine war.

I would argue it is harder to be in a playful relation to the magnitude of 8 billion people in an age of success or failure than in small tribes without constant comparison, constant growth vector, constant achievement, constant consumption.

I think it is precisely so serious it is supposed to, one could say it is futile changing peoples behavior instead of the cause for it, but also that is an essential element of this whole scheme, at which point you may unintuitive as it is, become passive in the way you behave yourself in relation to it. 

You may see the whole system, despite your comprehension of its inner workings and therefore the power to affect it, as perfect as it is. and like a stoic just letting it be.

To be assimilated into culture, into civilization is inherently traumatizing, any trip to the mall and all I see around me is Stockholm syndrome, every now and then I see a face lack such symptoms, of these some are truly playful. It is not that I see their trauma, but that I don't see it which makes me assert such a thing.

Seriousness thus, I hypothesize is a symptom of but not reducible to subconscious subversion of the trauma of unapproved assimilation into what one grew to love, constituting ones identity.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

I too have an issue with being too serious and having a stick up my ass.

In 2020 I visited Las Vegas for the first time, and throughout the trip I was just unable to let loose. I was really judgmental and sneered at everything. Throughout the whole trip I had an angry scowling expression on my face as I was just unable to let loose and dance, have fun, I was even huffing and puffing angrily in my breath. 

What really triggered me was the loose sexual culture and the materialism. Seeing scantily clad women and obscene signs/billboards made me with I was in the Middle East and with my native culture. Like, I felt a sense of rage throughout my system as I had a desire to inflict violence upon these women. 

I even had a daydream where I engaged in mass shooting terrorism against these women and gays. Like I started researching the minimum age to purchase an assault weapon. I was daydreaming about this so much, I was even asked by one person of the group I was in, what was I laughing and smiling at.

Even seeing people drink and celebrate loudly makes me mad, especially that “wooooo” party scream. I do recall being at social events, whether it be people my age or older, and just being the most quiet and unhappy person there. 

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

*redacted*

Edited by Husseinisdoingfine

*redacted*

Edited by Husseinisdoingfine

I had that problem for a long time. I used to (and still am to a certain degree) the kind of person that just wants to have "deep" conversations all the time, unable to just let loose and have fun. I, when I was a teen, had constructed an identity around being a "deep" and "serious" thinker and that everything else was just "too shallow" for me. I thought I hated small talk because it was sooo shallow (I actually hated it because I just sucked at it lol) and that I was just way too sophisticated for all of these anti-intellectual idiots.

Then I had a few experiences (most of them related to shrooms) that made me aware of this identity and how it was actually holding me back from forming fulfilling connections to other people. I spent the last 2 years doing quiet a bit of work in these departments and I've been seeing good results. I can let loose more often and just be silly and stupid and not take myself so god damn seriously all the time. I'm still frequently stuck in my head, overthinking stuff, and randomly go on wild rants with my friends, but I've also started to nurture and develop my playful and fun-loving side.

I think this is very important if you want to have intimate relationships.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop