Leech

Why Do so many people hate the ego?

14 posts in this topic

Honest question why are so many people obsessed with killing their ego through ego death? I understand that the ego can get in the way but it seems silly to completely destroy a part of yourself. It seems like you’ll lose something important, a sense of self seems important at least to me. 

It isn't destroyed, only seen for what it is.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Ego got a bad rep in spiritual circles. Experiences of no self should be a tiny phase on someone's spiritual journey, yet people try to demonize it and disidentify from their human self, which isn't healthy or helpful.

We have to get back to the body and form a friendly and loving relationship to ego so it becomes our loved servant, not something to destroy or try to disidentify from.

Most people who fight their ego's either don't like themselves or they're fighting with unworthiness..

ironically, through awakening the sense of self is strengthened and then detached from. Theres nothing wrong with having a strong sense of self and self purpose, awakening strengthens these things, its just then not identifying with it. Im pretty sure thats how it works.

im also pretty sure that in meditation or self enquiry, people actively try to force the sense of self to go away which is conceptually creative (bad) when if you just relax, be honest with yourself about what it is you believe you are, not trying to get rid of it but allowing it to arise and noticing the space between it and the perceiver, it brings about faster results and more authentic results 

Edited by Aaron p

Egos hate ego

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

body mind isn't you, kill that idea already, meantime love body mind, right there is your finest body of work

3 hours ago, Leech said:

Honest question why are so many people obsessed with killing their ego through ego death? I understand that the ego can get in the way but it seems silly to completely destroy a part of yourself. It seems like you’ll lose something important, a sense of self seems important at least to me.

By ego death most people mean killing an idea of a you, to be able to see yourself for what you actually are.

Nothing actually dies, you just self reflect using an infinite mind, so you realize for what you actually are.

It is easier to communicate when we can easily blame one thing for all the world's problems.
Ego plays the same role as "Satan" or "Evil" in most spiritual dialogue, just to make sense out of negativity.

Some form of negative has to be communicated. Seems like saying it is all "ego" is accurate enough in a lot of cases.

5 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

It isn't destroyed, only seen for what it is.

❤ 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

7 hours ago, Leech said:

In order to become God one must shatter the illusion.  It's a mask, and you take it off.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

8 hours ago, Leech said:

Depends on how far you want to take things. Certain conditioning might be beneficial and other conditioning might be hindering. For some it's a loss and for others it's freedom.

How is the sense of self important to you?

2 hours ago, WelcometoReality said:

How is the sense of self important to you?

A sense of self is important for figuring out how to I want to navigate life. Its sort of like a compass for me to choose things that get me closer to living my life purpose. A compass alone may not always lead me towards my target in the most effective way but it gives me the direction I need when I lose it.   

People believe that the ego is a source of their problems/suffering.  This is the typical spiritual teaching, and is true with some caveats, such as that surrendering the ego doesn't automatically solve your problems but merely eliminates a weighty obstacle to solving them.

8 hours ago, Leech said:

A sense of self is important for figuring out how to I want to navigate life. Its sort of like a compass for me to choose things that get me closer to living my life purpose. A compass alone may not always lead me towards my target in the most effective way but it gives me the direction I need when I lose it.   

That is higher egoic functioning. I can see the usefulness for it. ? But there's also lower ones such as fear, shame, guilt which keep people stuck in life and also brings alot of suffering. 

The usefulness of these are limited and by dissolving them the person can transcend into higher levels such as life purpose and love.