MarkKol

Question about contemplation

13 posts in this topic

I get the irony, I'm asking you how to ask myself questions. I'm gonna try to figure it out on my own but I would appreciate any advice you could give me if you engage or have engaged in contemplating before.

When I tried contemplating today I found myself questioning the meaning of words that make up my answers / conclusions. 

What happened:

I tried contemplating "what is work ethic" but after trying to contemplate it I realized that I don't know what "work" really means, so then I tried contemplating "what is work" and a feasible answer came by: its emotional or physical labour. But then I realized I don't know what the true meaning of labour is. And so it's leading me into a rabbit hole of questions. 

I wonder if this rabbit hole approach is the correct way to do it, basically I'm qustioning the meaning of words that make up my answers. But then again it's not like the rabbit hole is infinite, there will probably be a point where I know the meaning of something without contemplating it at all, for example "physical" or "emotional", I don't have to question that...

Edited by MarkKol

Work is quite self explanatory when you engage in it, rather than trying to unpack it's essence in form of a explanation.

Work ethic on the other hand, has to do with persistence to follow and maintain a certain work structure that has been implemented. Rather than working on something sporadically or on a whim, even though both ways require work

1 hour ago, MarkKol said:

I wonder if this rabbit hole approach is the correct way to do it, basically I'm qustioning the meaning of words that make up my answers. But then again it's not like the rabbit hole is infinite, there will probably be a point where I know the meaning of something without contemplating it at all, for example "physical" or "emotional", I don't have to question that...

I'd say the same goes for the word "work". If singled out.

4 hours ago, MarkKol said:

I tried contemplating "what is work ethic" but after trying to contemplate it I realized that I don't know what "work" really means, so then I tried contemplating "what is work" and a feasible answer came by: its emotional or physical labour. But then I realized I don't know what the true meaning of labour is. And so it's leading me into a rabbit hole of questions. 

Seems like you have to contemplate "what is language?" before you contemplate work.

Then how come you didn't contemplate on the word 'ethics'

@MarkKol

On 08/05/2022 at 10:50 AM, MarkKol said:

I get the irony, I'm asking you how to ask myself questions. I'm gonna try to figure it out on my own but I would appreciate any advice you could give me if you engage or have engaged in contemplating before.

When I tried contemplating today I found myself questioning the meaning of words that make up my answers / conclusions. 

What happened:

Sounds like you are doing ok with contemplating work ethic. For a refresher, go and rewatch and note take Leo's contemplation using the mind, and contemplation using a journal, the 64 most fascinating questions, what are questions video, and the different levels of comprehension. Those 5 will get you started. If you follow what each video suggests to do, especially the contemplation using a journal, it's solid for the most part.

It's common, in the beginning to middle of contemplating to be distracted by various things, by things around you, or by answers to your question. Give your mind permission to wonder about the main question, let it explore many answers, and try not to get too distrated by what's around you unless it's relevant to what you're contemplating. While concentration and contemplation are mostly different, what is useful about concentration exercises is that it teaches you to bring back focus to the focal point, or whatever you were focusing on for that exercise. Very similar to contemplating, but you have more wiggle room to be looser, as long as it's related to the main question.

I personally use a modified version of Leo's method. My take involves less  listing or worded questions, and includes imaging as part of the contemplation process. If I have some time I would draw the question, and draw out some of the answers. This way helps me overcome times when sometimes the process becomes boring and dry to me.

On 5/8/2022 at 4:50 AM, MarkKol said:

What happened:

Yeah. This can happen. You don’t want to complicate things to much. Your trying to conceptualize “work” too much when you need to have a direct experience of it. You are getting lost in your mind with different concepts. You have to see “work” around you and contemplate that. For instance, you may see people “working” and bees and butterflies “working.” Just observe the actual process of what “work” really is then ask more questions about “work.”

Work ethic is a code and set of principles for how you use your energy. It is that simple. You don’t need to go into what code and principles are just yet. As long as you can grasp the essence of what work ethic is, you can then ask questions to contemplate deeper.

Do animals have a work ethic? What is the importance of work ethic? How can I increase my work ethic? How does it relate to my life purpose? What is the opposite of work ethic? Why am I lazy and procrastinate? What are the obstacles to my work ethic? How is a bee able to have such a strong work ethic? What is the relationship between work ethic and survival? What are the most optimal principles that I could live by to increase the quality of my work/energy? These are a few examples to go around the iceberg, as well as penetrating deep down the iceberg.

On 5/8/2022 at 4:50 AM, MarkKol said:

I wonder if this rabbit hole approach is the correct way to do it

No. This is you getting lost in your mind. You have to focus on one topic of inquiry at a time. Use the example method I described above. You want to have a direct experience of it. You can always contemplate other topics that come up, such as what is direct experience? But don’t expect all your answers to be conceptual. You want the experience. To know what happiness is you have to experience it. Just defining happiness is not fully contemplating. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by r0ckyreed

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

Ask whatever you are genuinely curious about or dying to know :) My go to is always asking why. Why are we here? Why are there others? Today I asked, why do we need self-reflection? My brother likes asking how. How is this happening? But I would start with your genuine desire to know whatever you want to know. 

@Gianna Great advice. :) 

Funnily enough, I was rereading 'The End of Your World' by Adyashanti the other day and he was making the point that it isn't so much about finding the right answers, as asking the right questions, and I think that's exactly right. I think a great question to ask yourself is simply, 'What's most important to me, what's my heart's desire?' And then, rather than trying to figure it out intellectually, you just listen - listen to what your heart's telling you. Because whilst we're very much thinking beings, we're really driven by our emotions, ultimately, and our thinking often clouds the reality of our feelings.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

Thanks everyone, I read all your posts. I'll try all of them

@Gianna :) 

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

On 8.5.2022 at 11:50 AM, MarkKol said:

I tried contemplating "what is work ethic"...

Hey, when Leo talks about contemplation, this comes mainly from the teachings of Peter Ralston. And you can read all about the approach in "The Book of Not-Knowing", and I know he has a website with a bunch of resources. 

Why would you contemplate, "what is work ethic?"? Are you trying to reflect on your thoughts on what work ethic is? Because thats what it sounds like is happening! 

Ralston has mentioned you should keep it simple. And that the sentence should be so simple that you dont need to think what you mean by the sentence. The point is not to think or reflect on it. Rather to grasp it directly. 

I imagine it's way easier to contemplate and grasp something you are clear on what is. Like what is water. You can sit with a glass of water. You know what you believe to be water. And then drop every belief you have about water. "what is water?" "what is water?". 

Or let's say your'e dealing with fear or anger, and your'e trying to think your way out of it. You can contemplate "Can you enjoy it?" "Can you enjoy it?" 

But something like "work ethic" or "discipline" or "habits" these are not the questions you want to ask when your'e going for an enlightenment experience. "what is hard work" or "what is a schedule?" doesnt really sound like you are trying to grasp it directly. To be honest it sounds more like philosophical questions than enlightenment inquiry. Hope this helps. 

On 14.5.2022 at 10:13 PM, Danioover9000 said:

@MarkKol

..., the 64 most fascinating questions, what are questions video,...

Could you please link these videos