Someone here

A theory of everything?

32 posts in this topic

What is the raison d'etre (the point for existing) for theories?

What do we do with theories?

4 hours ago, mostly harmless said:

What do we do with theories?

Create models and maps that help us understand the world. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

On 5/8/2022 at 10:10 AM, LastThursday said:

And intuition can be wrong, that's why science does experiments and gains consensus. It's not either/or. The process of science is a combination both. You need intuition to tell you what experiments to do and to come up with theories. You need experiments and consensus to tell you if you're deceiving yourself or not - or at least to get rid of as much bias (deception) as possible.

Intuition is never wrong, you really have no clue what intuition is if you say it is wrong. I repeat... INTUITION IS NEVER WRONG. How you interpret said  intuition can be wrong, sure. Again you have no idea what intuition is. If you want to understand what intuition is refer to Nikola Tesla. When they asked him where did he come up with the ideas for his inventions he responded "“My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists.”

So there you have it. After the brain receives it, it is up to you to make sense of it. In your attempt to make sense of it....you could make a mistake. But the actual message....was correct.

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

On 31.5.2022 at 10:32 PM, Someone here said:

Create models and maps that help us understand the world. 

If that's the case, what extra value would a theory of everything, a universal theory, have?

35 minutes ago, mostly harmless said:

If that's the case, what extra value would a theory of everything, a universal theory, have?

Its obvious. To have a complete and perfect understanding of the entire Universe. 

Scintists have been working for a century to fined GREAT UNIFIED THEORY.
The importance of unifying the natural forces in one theory is to understand in depth the universe and nature in general.Also it clarifies how the universe is created and what are the properties of this great unified force or field which is the source of finding the universe.It is a big dream of humanity to understand well why this unverse is?and why we are here?these scientific questions are too important to find their answers,of course the real religions which believe in one God they have some information about the creation of the universe specialy in Islam,but still it is too important to find a one theory of everything scientifically, though science cannot in fact understand the full mind of God,it is a red line that human be in God place fully.

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

On 2.6.2022 at 7:55 PM, Someone here said:

Its obvious. To have a complete and perfect understanding of the entire Universe. 

Scintists have been working for a century to fined GREAT UNIFIED THEORY.
The importance of unifying the natural forces in one theory is to understand in depth the universe and nature in general.Also it clarifies how the universe is created and what are the properties of this great unified force or field which is the source of finding the universe.It is a big dream of humanity to understand well why this unverse is?and why we are here?these scientific questions are too important to find their answers,of course the real religions which believe in one God they have some information about the creation of the universe specialy in Islam,but still it is too important to find a one theory of everything scientifically, though science cannot in fact understand the full mind of God,it is a red line that human be in God place fully.

Is there a practical advantage for understanding the world in form of a unified theory in contrast to understanding specific situations?

Or is it something that one might want to without being useful, like a personal interest or hobby?

13 hours ago, mostly harmless said:

Is there a practical advantage for understanding the world in form of a unified theory in contrast to understanding specific situations?

If you have a model that can describe reality in an accurate way, that means that you can use that knowledge to do practical stuff and to manipulate reality.

Understanding the whole, can improve your knowledge about the parts. Knowing how different parts connect to each other, can help to understand those seemingly separate parts better.

14 hours ago, zurew said:

If you have a model that can describe reality in an accurate way, that means that you can use that knowledge to do practical stuff and to manipulate reality.

Understanding the whole, can improve your knowledge about the parts. Knowing how different parts connect to each other, can help to understand those seemingly separate parts better.

It is more complex to aim at an all encompassing theory compared to theories for specific aspects.

Also being monolithic rather than modular, it is not harder to update. Software analogy.

Would there be a difference in approach and result anyway? A universal understand can be emergent.

Lets not forget that theory is not the same as understanding. ideally, it is. Practically, it isn't necessarily.

On 5/7/2022 at 5:53 PM, Someone here said:

Is a ToE fundamentally possible?

The Universe is made of nothing. Please explain to me....how you are going to create a TOE of nothing. Additionally Reality is infinite....so again...how are you going to create a TOE of infinity? 

So the answer is No.

You can however learn generalizations. Which is what Spirituality currently has under control. We have a lot of nice generalizations that can help you conceptualize reality. But again....Science will NEVER EVER DISCOVER EVEN 50% of known data in the universe. Think of it like this. You are in a race against infinity....and it keeps constantly changing. How would you ever catch up? You cannot. 

So all you will ever have is broad generalizations with some small specialties but they will always just be cracking the surface. Science doesn't even totally understand the brain, or even the depths of the ocean or space....and you think we going to create a TOE of the Universe?

Let me ask you a question....explain to me who you are. Give me a map of you. Have you found yourself? Humanity can't even find themselves... and you are talking about a TOE? Humanity hasn't even fulfilled Socrate's first statement "Know thyself."

I hope you can realize what you are asking....

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

3 hours ago, mostly harmless said:

It is more complex to aim at an all encompassing theory compared to theories for specific aspects.

It might be, but not necessarily. Lets take spirituality, you can get the big picture pretty fast using hardcore psychedelics, however to get the details and the connections between the parts and how it really works is much more harder imo.

The problem with only focusing on the parts is that you study them in an isolated way, and your understanding of them will be limited. You can put those elements/parts into a different system and see how they will work (That way you can understand even better what the purpose of those parts why they work differently in different environments and structures, and you will know what are the aspects that are unique to those parts, regardless of what system you want to put them into.)

Of course focusing only on the big picture has its own limitations too.

But i think you are right , that you don't necessarily need a TOE to be more practical. TOE would be more about understanding than being practical. If practicality is your main focus, then TOE won't be interesting to you.

3 hours ago, mostly harmless said:

Lets not forget that theory is not the same as understanding. ideally, it is. Practically, it isn't necessarily.

A theory is a principle formed to explain the things already shown in data.

A theory is an explanation for why or how something happens that is backed by a lot of data collected over time and from different circumstances.

A theory is pretty strong and not just speculation it is based on data. Of course that doesn't mean that it can't be faulty, but a theory is "stronger" than a hypothesis.

On 9.6.2022 at 3:29 PM, zurew said:

It might be, but not necessarily. Lets take spirituality, you can get the big picture pretty fast using hardcore psychedelics, however to get the details and the connections between the parts and how it really works is much more harder imo.

A theory is pretty strong and not just speculation it is based on data. Of course that doesn't mean that it can't be faulty, but a theory is "stronger" than a hypothesis.

I think it would be an advantage to understand what you want from a theory. Is this for practical reasons? Is this out of the wish to understand, regardless of practicality? Is it to feed my ego as a wise person? Or whatever else the reason might be.

Edited by mostly harmless

5 hours ago, mostly harmless said:

I think it would be an advantage to understand what you want from a theory.

Yes, its good to know why we want to do what we want to do. 

5 hours ago, mostly harmless said:

Is this out of the wish to understand, regardless of practicality?

I think its this. A TOE wouldn't be practical, but just for the sake of understanding it would be good. If you are somewhat biased towards understanding , then it could be good for you, but if you don't care about understanding stuff just for the sake of understanding them , then i don't see what you could gain from it.