Manusia

Is kindle worth it?

28 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Not good enough

Maybe something like this could be of interest. 

What you can also do is to split screen your book or pdf, and then keep reading where you are in the book/pdf, while the other half of the screen contains a copy of the book/pdf that you can fast navigate around with a slider, or other various ways to jump around.

On 2022-05-05 at 3:32 PM, Manusia said:

What the pros and cons?

How about buying used kindle? 

Did you prefer use kindle than a real book after buying it? 

It’s a different reading experience. Some books are kindle books, some are physical. If you like to read in a cafe, or in low light a kindle is great. The books are often cheaper and you can have a bunch in the palm of your hand. 

I like kindles because I can grab samples of books as well. 

I have been buying physical books lately. I like how I can flip to a page and lay out all the books in front of me. Then when one books sparks an idea I can jump to the next book and start reading that. The biggest problem with physical books is that they take up volume and mass.

When I have more money I may buy both kindle and physical editions. If I’m going to hike out to the woods say, and then do some meditation, Qigong and then some reading and writing I’ll bring a small bag with my reMarkable and kindle. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

It’s absolutely worth it and is much better than physical books for non-fiction in my opinion. You can highlight and take notes much easier and faster. By far one of the best technology purchases I’ve made.

On 06/05/2022 at 11:59 AM, Leo Gura said:

The biggest downside and deal-breaker for me is that you can't flip through a book and find the sections you need.

@Leo Gura

Yes, you can. You can see the table of contents of the book you’re reading by clicking on a button at the top right.

Is that how you read books Leo? Do you just read the table of contents and skip to the chapter that you find interesting? I often do that too as many books are filled with fluff or multiple examples of the main ideas.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:03 PM, Leo Gura said:

Not good enough

Yeah, I tend to agree.  That has always been my biggest issue with them, and I wish they would create a way to “flip through” sections.  I still like e-readers tho, just because I’m a sort of minimalist, and I like the consolidation.   Having hard copies just takes up so much space.  I saw that huge ass library behind you during the TOE interview, haha. Which is honestly pretty dope.  I just don’t have the space for that kind of thing.  

On 5/9/2022 at 3:27 PM, The Lucid Dreamer said:

I wish they would create a way to “flip through” sections.

@The Lucid Dreamer @Leo Gura Can you elaborate on what you guys mean by "flipping through sections"? I am still not quite seeing how this isn't possible with a Kindle. 

Yeah, it is worth it.

I have a different e reader and it is awesome.

@Vision Well with a normal book, you can just flip back and forth through the pages and find an area in the book fairly easily.  With the kindle, you can technically skip to certain sections in the book, but then to find the exact place, you can only tap the screen in order to turn the page.  So it just takes longer.  

On 6/5/2022 at 1:59 AM, Leo Gura said:

The biggest downside and deal-breaker for me is that you can't flip through a book and find the sections you need.

contrast that with CTRL+F option to look up keywords. Very often I want to look up a specific phrase from the book where I just remember only a word or sentence and It snipes it in seconds from the complete thicc book. Or just clicking the titles in the index.

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered