Someone here

An idea for a new subforum

Good idea?    131 members have voted

1. 1. Good idea?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

110 posts in this topic

I agree with being able to monitor the journals.  I want to be able to remove comments because it's actually a closed journal, but everyone is allowed to read - I would just prefer to have it organized as I use it to organize my thoughts, and go through them - it can mess up my work sometimes to have other people's comments in my journal - I use it as an automatic writing kind of thing and wanna keep that flow and I don't want to ask the mods to delete anything because they might accidentally warn someone or they might get the wrong impression.

Anyone is free to read my stuff, though, I don't care one way or the other about that - but I might like to keep it accessible for this site only and not unregistered users, but IDK - just I guess more control over my own journal, like I'd like to be able to edit old posts in it.

We should create a "nonsense" section. Problem is, people who post nonsense think it's serious spirituality and will still post it in the Meditation-section of the forum. This includes MyselfXD

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I'll consider that. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

Make a rule explicitly prohibiting spiritual mumbo jumbo in the practical self help section.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

14 hours ago, Roy said:

I have some ideas for changes @Leo Gura, but this is just what I would do, take it for what you will:

- Change "Self-Actualization" to "Practical Self-Help", advertised so people can get more straight forward answers to (generally) straight forward questions. For people who aren't ready for esoteric, advanced, or spiritual concepts. If someone asks for basic advice like goal setting, the answers in the section shouldn't be anything like, "you need to wake up to God lul".

- Remove Psychedlics from "Meditation, Consciousness, Enlightenment, Spirituality", and give it it's entire own section.

- Add Culture to the name tag of "Society, Environment, Government, Politics"

- Move "High Consciousness Resources" to the "Self-Help Product & Book Reviews" section, or move them up. They should be combined.

- Add Finances to "Life Purpose, Career, Entrepreneurship", additionally give Life Purpose it's own section maybe. Since there is a course on it and it's a big part of the Actualized ethos.

- Also some sort of privacy lock for journals would be a great feature. So you can block it from being publicly viewed, or invite/block specific people from reading/participating.

- As well some sort of highlighted neon sticky post for the Serious Emotional Problems section about suicide and self-harm would be good. Just with some basic protocol about what the reader should do if feeling unstable, links to suicide hotlines, etc.

Yes. This sounds awesome. ++1

@Leo Gura unfortunately up unitl now..the majority of the votes are "no".

Let us know when you make up your mind about this .

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

1 hour ago, Michael Jackson said:

We should create a "nonsense" section. Problem is, people who post nonsense think it's serious spirituality and will still post it in the Meditation-section of the forum. This includes MyselfXD

?

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

We already have a thread w enlightenment memes

Edited by Hello from Russia

There are countless improvements that could be made, many of which have been mentioned repeatedly over the years.  The answer is no.

I think this forum is dedicated to self-improvement.....you can discuss those things during your own time in real life xD

No but seriously....you know there is a world beyond this forum ;)

5 hours ago, Michael569 said:

The ability for users to lock journals and journal owners to be able to hide unwanted comments in journals they started would eliminate a lot of micro conflicts in the journal sections but not sure how difficult that is to add to the forum code. 

What’s the point of writing a journal on the forum if you don’t want feedback. You might as well just write it elsewhere.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

But considering that discussions about pieces of art are being locked here, we probably need a subforum dedicated specifically to art. Art usually plays important role in self-actualization and in life so I think  there should be a place to discuss art in that context.

Edited by T_i_m

An entertainment sub-forum is an absurd idea as it will distract people from self improvement work.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

17 hours ago, Superfluo said:
18 hours ago, Roy said:

I have some ideas for changes @Leo Gura, but this is just what I would do, take it for what you will...

I agree on all the points except for point 4 and 6:

4) I think the High Consciousness Resource doesn't need to be fused with the Review Section, rather it should be more high quality, more polished and more moderated. An idea it comes to mind is to give access to it to people who have done serious work for long time, people who have a higher probability of posting high quality, integrated, wise, nuanced and powerful insights and resources. Personally I don't use the High Consciousness Resources section often because I'm not ready yet for turquoise stuff (and I usually found mostly turquoise stuff) but it doesn't mean that section can't be used to post high consciousness yellow stuff, high consciousness green stuff, high consciousness orange stuff, etc.

If you combine the two sections together, you'll have a meek section with just some basic advice and high quality advice I think will be viewed as less impactful than other advice.

6) If you want a private journal, just journal by yourself, you don't need the forum. The purpose of the Journal section is to make your struggles and process public so as to be accountable for your improvement and get some support. If you can't journal seriously without using a public platform, even if privately, then it's not a matter of platform or place but a matter of commitment I think.

Also, the journal section could contain post with photos, videos or very long posts. If it becomes a backup platform for all the people doing our work it could fill up the space on the servers.

So the publicity of the journal section keeps not serious people at bay.

Feedback for @Leo Gura 

@Leo Gura @Roy I have the same sentiments as @Superfluo , High Consciousness Resources and Self-Help Product & Book Reviews are distinct and while they have low post counts it doesn't seem necessary they should be combined. Also it clashes with the Self-Help rating system Guideline because there would be low rated books alongside high-consciousness resources.

I personally think the Self-Help Product & Book Reviews should be more moderated or have the Guidelines changed either so that:

-only reviews would be posted there from now on (book recs/questions would do fine in Self-Actualization), or

-having the review ratings in titles be actually enforced to easily distinguish them and sift through from the miscellanous-like book recommendation threads that flood there

Edited by lostingenosmaze

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

5 hours ago, How to be wise said:

What’s the point of writing a journal on the forum if you don’t want feedback.

Not everybody wants feedback. There is a reason why some journals have the words "CLOSED JOURNAL" in them. Mods on the forum spend quite a lot of time moderating the Journal section, you'd be surprised. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

4 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Not everybody wants feedback. There is a reason why some journals have the words "CLOSED JOURNAL" in them. Mods on the forum spend quite a lot of time moderating the Journal section, you'd be surprised. 

Yea the journal section seems to be a hot point for moderation, it probably makes up 20% of reports and issues on this forum. Simply adding a "delete comment" button for journal owners would make a large positive impact.

I understand it can be therapeutic for people to journal in a public blog like way, as they are letting emotions out and might be looking for feedback they wouldn't get journaling alone. Though letting anybody chime in opens the door for a lot of harassment and trolling.

It's fine if people bicker and disagree in the Politics or Dating subforum, but don't go shitting on people in their own journals where they are sharing sensitive things about themselves. It's just like a, dick move man.

hrhrhtewgfegege

22 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Then why are they writing it on the forum?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

19 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Then why are they writing it on the forum?

I'm sure everyone has their own reasons why they do what they do :)  

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

It would ruin the chemistry of the forum. I think if such a subsection is created it would attract a lot of drabble and the forum feed would be clouded with it. 

In Tate we trust

On 05/05/2022 at 7:42 AM, Roy said:

I have some ideas for changes @Leo Gura, but this is just what I would do, take it for what you will:

- Change "Self-Actualization" to "Practical Self-Help", advertised so people can get more straight forward answers to (generally) straight forward questions. For people who aren't ready for esoteric, advanced, or spiritual concepts. If someone asks for basic advice like goal setting, the answers in the section shouldn't be anything like, "you need to wake up to God lul".

- Remove Psychedlics from "Meditation, Consciousness, Enlightenment, Spirituality", and give it it's entire own section.

- Add Culture to the name tag of "Society, Environment, Government, Politics"

- Move "High Consciousness Resources" to the "Self-Help Product & Book Reviews" section, or move them up. They should be combined.

- Add Finances to "Life Purpose, Career, Entrepreneurship", additionally give Life Purpose it's own section maybe. Since there is a course on it and it's a big part of the Actualized ethos.

- Also some sort of privacy lock for journals would be a great feature. So you can block it from being publicly viewed, or invite/block specific people from reading/participating.

- As well some sort of highlighted neon sticky post for the Serious Emotional Problems section about suicide and self-harm would be good. Just with some basic protocol about what the reader should do if feeling unstable, links to suicide hotlines, etc.

I second this

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback